Thread: Cat squirrel release

Default Cat squirrel release

I've rehabbed cat squirrels over the years in southeast texas and had real good luck with them. Find the older I get, the more cautious I get. Hence, my dilemma. I was given a baby, about 3 weeks old. He is now closing in on 4 months. He is in a large parrot cage but I'm thinking he's ready to be released. There's no hunting around my house. Food and water avail to squirrels and deer 24/7 that I provide. My question is, how safe is it too release him now?

Default Re: Cat squirrel release

So I did some looking and "cat squirrel" is a name for a color phase of what we usually call fox squirrels or "foxers."

Do you have leaves on the trees there? One of the big reasons many people overwinter has less to do with temperatures and more to do with no cover for them due to our mostly deciduous trees. They need some leaves for cover and for nesting too.

Best results involve an outdoor cage that can act as a safe halfway house for them. If you are the go to person for these guys and it sounds like maybe you are, a purpose built release cage made from lumber and 1/2" hardware cloth with a top that will offer some protection from weather is best. They get to live in nature for a while but won't have to pay the price for mistakes they make quite yet. And then one day you open the door.

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Grinderhead (11-12-2020), island rehabber (11-12-2020), PennyCash (11-12-2020)

Default Re: Cat squirrel release

That's what I've done in the past but now my health is so crappy I haven't built one. There are still leaves on the trees here but it just really bothers me to turn him out yet. Every once it get one that is special. We play fight daily and he refuses to bite me to draw blood. Guess I'll go to lowes tomorrow. Thank you