Thread: NEED HOME FOR SQUIRRELS, ONE IS NON- RELEASABLE

Hybrid View

Red face NEED HOME FOR SQUIRRELS, ONE IS NON- RELEASABLE

Hi everyone- this is my first time using this forum. I am so happy to have found it! I found two baby squirrels 2 months ago. I had gotten all the information I need to take care of them well, as my friend used to be a rehabber. They are thriving, happy, and so playful. So here is the situation: The reason I did not give them over to a rehabber, is because first they were swamped and I did not think they would get the love they need to heal. Second is that one of them was injured, and she really needed the extra love and attention- people told me that it was supposedly permanent nerve or brain damage, her front legs were dragging behind her when she tried to walk. They fell from a tree during a storm. I was told that she would not make it, and multiple rehabbers told me that they would have to euthanize her. I really didn't like that response. I could tell she wasn't in pain, my gut was telling me that she needed some more time and love to heal- so that is why I raised them myself. And I can gladly say she is doing wonderfully, she has healed so much, walking and climbing all around, but I can tell that she is not up to par with her brother. I'm afraid that she's not ready to be released, at least not yet.. I don't know if ever really, she is not a strong climber, I'm afraid she'd fall from a tree or get harassed by others. I am thinking that she would make a great pet, and it would be so great if I could find her a permanent home with other squirrels. I know how social they are and I couldn't stand her not having any friends to paly with, she loves playing with her brother even if he is stronger than her.

Anyways, right now I am over-wintering them, although it is pretty hot in Georgia still, I don't think it's time. I was planning to release him in the spring, or find someone who could help me with that, as I would like for him to be in the wild, and I live in the suburbs, I also don't have the proper release cage. As for her, she's such a sweetheart, and I really need to find her a loving home. Any leads would be greatly appreciated, thank you all <3
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to nikki101:

Buddy (11-14-2020), Chirps (11-12-2020), gunpackingrandma (12-23-2020)

Default Re: NEED HOME FOR SQUIRRELS, ONE IS NON- RELEASABLE

What area of Georgia are you located?

Are you seeking assistance with a proper Spring release (and planning to overwinter them yourself)?

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

TubeDriver (01-25-2021)

I am in Kennesaw. And I was planning on that, except they are already starting to chew through furniture. I keep them in my office and let them out of the cage- they hate the cage.

And yes, sorry, I am seeking assistance with release. I mean I'm pretty sure I can handle it, but it would be nice to have the proper cage for him. I don't know when she would be able to be released.

Spanky would be a wonderful choice for releasing your babies and assessing the little girlís issues.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

nikki101 (11-13-2020), stepnstone (11-13-2020)

I can assist with a Spring release... singletons always go the the back of the line. I cannot really accept more for overwintering, I am over capacity as it is... I just took in 3 more 6 week olds last weekend.

I am in extreme NE Georgia.

Did you try gabapentin or steroids with the girl that had been injured?

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Mel1959 (11-13-2020), TubeDriver (11-13-2020)

Hello, I live at the Jersey shore, and I just joined this forum last night. I would love to foster a squirrel. I donít care if itís short term or long term. I love squirrels and will do anything to help them. I donít even really know how to use this message board. So if you want to contact me my cell phone number is 917-612-5365.
    Joseph

QUOTE=nikki101;1324809]Hi everyone- this is my first time using this forum. I am so happy to have found it! I found two baby squirrels 2 months ago. I had gotten all the information I need to take care of them well, as my friend used to be a rehabber. They are thriving, happy, and so playful. So here is the situation: The reason I did not give them over to a rehabber, is because first they were swamped and I did not think they would get the love they need to heal. Second is that one of them was injured, and she really needed the extra love and attention- people told me that it was supposedly permanent nerve or brain damage, her front legs were dragging behind her when she tried to walk. They fell from a tree during a storm. I was told that she would not make it, and multiple rehabbers told me that they would have to euthanize her. I really didn't like that response. I could tell she wasn't in pain, my gut was telling me that she needed some more time and love to heal- so that is why I raised them myself. And I can gladly say she is doing wonderfully, she has healed so much, walking and climbing all around, but I can tell that she is not up to par with her brother. I'm afraid that she's not ready to be released, at least not yet.. I don't know if ever really, she is not a strong climber, I'm afraid she'd fall from a tree or get harassed by others. I am thinking that she would make a great pet, and it would be so great if I could find her a permanent home with other squirrels. I know how social they are and I couldn't stand her not having any friends to paly with, she loves playing with her brother even if he is stronger than her.

Anyways, right now I am over-wintering them, although it is pretty hot in Georgia still, I don't think it's time. I was planning to release him in the spring, or find someone who could help me with that, as I would like for him to be in the wild, and I live in the suburbs, I also don't have the proper release cage. As for her, she's such a sweetheart, and I really need to find her a loving home. Any leads would be greatly appreciated, thank you all <3[/QUOTE]

Hello Joseph and to the Nut House! Thank you for loving squirrels and expressing an interest in rehabbing. Thereís never enough rehabbers!

I wanted to give you a resource for someone in New Jersey that you could contact and discuss your desires with. Her name is Jean Parker and she runs Garden State Wildlife Center in Howell, NJ. 732-908-2345. If youíve never rehabbed a baby squirrel before itís helpful to have the right tools and a little knowledge before you embark on this journey. Maybe since itís not baby season yet, Jean could offer some insight.

Iíve jotted down your number. Please let us know if you make contact with Jean and how things go. Best of luck.