Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEED HOME FOR SQUIRRELS, ONE IS NON- RELEASABLE

Red face NEED HOME FOR SQUIRRELS, ONE IS NON- RELEASABLE

Hi everyone- this is my first time using this forum. I am so happy to have found it! I found two baby squirrels 2 months ago. I had gotten all the information I need to take care of them well, as my friend used to be a rehabber. They are thriving, happy, and so playful. So here is the situation: The reason I did not give them over to a rehabber, is because first they were swamped and I did not think they would get the love they need to heal. Second is that one of them was injured, and she really needed the extra love and attention- people told me that it was supposedly permanent nerve or brain damage, her front legs were dragging behind her when she tried to walk. They fell from a tree during a storm. I was told that she would not make it, and multiple rehabbers told me that they would have to euthanize her. I really didn't like that response. I could tell she wasn't in pain, my gut was telling me that she needed some more time and love to heal- so that is why I raised them myself. And I can gladly say she is doing wonderfully, she has healed so much, walking and climbing all around, but I can tell that she is not up to par with her brother. I'm afraid that she's not ready to be released, at least not yet.. I don't know if ever really, she is not a strong climber, I'm afraid she'd fall from a tree or get harassed by others. I am thinking that she would make a great pet, and it would be so great if I could find her a permanent home with other squirrels. I know how social they are and I couldn't stand her not having any friends to paly with, she loves playing with her brother even if he is stronger than her.

Anyways, right now I am over-wintering them, although it is pretty hot in Georgia still, I don't think it's time. I was planning to release him in the spring, or find someone who could help me with that, as I would like for him to be in the wild, and I live in the suburbs, I also don't have the proper release cage. As for her, she's such a sweetheart, and I really need to find her a loving home. Any leads would be greatly appreciated, thank you all <3
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to nikki101:

Buddy (11-14-2020), Chirps (11-12-2020), gunpackingrandma (12-23-2020)

Default Re: NEED HOME FOR SQUIRRELS, ONE IS NON- RELEASABLE

What area of Georgia are you located?

Are you seeking assistance with a proper Spring release (and planning to overwinter them yourself)?

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

TubeDriver (01-25-2021)

I am in Kennesaw. And I was planning on that, except they are already starting to chew through furniture. I keep them in my office and let them out of the cage- they hate the cage.

And yes, sorry, I am seeking assistance with release. I mean I'm pretty sure I can handle it, but it would be nice to have the proper cage for him. I don't know when she would be able to be released.

Spanky would be a wonderful choice for releasing your babies and assessing the little girl’s issues.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

nikki101 (11-13-2020), stepnstone (11-13-2020)

I can assist with a Spring release... singletons always go the the back of the line. I cannot really accept more for overwintering, I am over capacity as it is... I just took in 3 more 6 week olds last weekend.

I am in extreme NE Georgia.

Did you try gabapentin or steroids with the girl that had been injured?

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Mel1959 (11-13-2020), TubeDriver (11-13-2020)

Thank you. I will keep you updated. When do you usually release them come spring? And how do you care for them while over-wintering? These guys are already pretty big, they aren't eating as much formula as they used to, I have a ferret cage for them, but they hate it- and I'm at work during the day.. I feel bad keeping them in there for so long, I take them out every chance I get, but if I let them out they start chewing up things they're not supposed to.

As for the girl, there is a lot of mixed information out there. I talked to some rehabbers, and they told me steroids only work in the first 24 hours. So I did not choose that route, I missed the window, it's been 2 months since they fell from the tree- I found them at 6 weeks old. It's not that she's incapable of walking or climbing, she has recovered so well, when rehabbers told me she would most likely pass, it's just that she's not as strong when I compare them..

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to nikki101 from:

PennyCash (11-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by nikki101 View Post
    Thank you. I will keep you updated. When do you usually release them come spring? And how do you care for them while over-wintering? These guys are already pretty big, they aren't eating as much formula as they used to, I have a ferret cage for them, but they hate it- and I'm at work during the day.. I feel bad keeping them in there for so long, I take them out every chance I get, but if I let them out they start chewing up things they're not supposed to.
    Release season in N. Georgia comes as early as late February / Early March. Just as soon as the canopy trees start having leaves... for me that is a lot tulip poplars which are the first the "leaf out" (and also the first to drop all their leaves in the fall)!

I do not let squirrels that I will be releasing out of the cage very often or for very long... sometimes they go days and days. It is not possible to keep squirrels from chewing things, they are compelled to chew to keep their teeth worn down. Letting squirrels that will be released to the wild roam about the house all winter does them a disfavor by acclimating them way too much to humans IMO. Some rehabbers never let them out of the cage overwinter, which is understandable since dealing with dozens of squirrels it just isn't feasible. I have overwinters that were never allowed out... because they were overly destructive, attacked me (or others), etc. The luckiest of over-winters will spend there time in the large outdoor release cages (something some of our more northern members cannot do)... the unlucky ones (usually singletons) will spend their long winter months in the smaller indoor cages.

Just for the record, non-releasable squirrels should get as much supervised out-of-cage time as possible, but at least 1 hour a day. Many non-releasable squirrels are safer in the cage than they are roaming freely unsupervised, depending on their disability.

As for the girl, there is a lot of mixed information out there. I talked to some rehabbers, and they told me steroids only work in the first 24 hours. So I did not choose that route, I missed the window, it's been 2 months since they fell from the tree- I found them at 6 weeks old. It's not that she's incapable of walking or climbing, she has recovered so well, when rehabbers told me she would most likely pass, it's just that she's not as strong when I compare them..
    Steroids have a larger success rate the earlier they are started, but it is never too late to try (IMO). We seen some very miraculous improvements here on TSB, even with months old injuries. The exception perhaps rather than the rule, but welcomed exceptions to be sure.

Gabapentin has also helped to improve many impaired squirrels. She should be evaluated by an experienced sqirrel person IMO.

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Buddy (01-24-2021), Mel1959 (11-14-2020), TubeDriver (01-25-2021)

Does your little injured girl ever sleep on your lap? What I am asking is, is she ever calm enough that you could hold her toes and fingers? If you can than I have something to suggest that might bring her to even more recovery than she has experienced yet. Maybe even full recovery, it could be possible. Try it if you feel like it. This may appear really complicated, it's not once you figure out what is going on, it's really easy, except that their little digits are so small! I was able to do this on a squirrel who was sleeping in my lap, and I feel it really helped their condition.

Hold pairs of opposite fingers and toes. Do this in any order, for instance start with the right paw and left foot, then with your human fingers, hold the thumb on the paw in one hand and the pinky toe of the squirrel in your other hand. Hold for 1-3 minutes. Then move your hands to hold the index finger with the ring toe, then the middle finger with middle toe, and then the ring finger with index toe, and lastly the pinky finger with big toe. Remember you are pairing across the squirrel body, right paw, left foot. Then if there is time, or in another session pair the left paw with right foot and repeat by pairing the digits also in opposites. This is a form of a healing art called Jin Shin Jyutsu and it is highly effective for harmonizing and restoring body systems that have become impaired and damaged.

I realize that on a squirrel, your fingers may touch other fingers on the squirrel, don't worry about this. Just put your focus on the ones you are primarily supposed to be touching, that will be fine. If you feel like doing this, do it as often as you can. Once a day, twice a week, once a week, everyone other week. I don't know what your schedule is like. Try it and see if you see her continue to improve. I'd love to hear your results if you do this. Send me a PM if you feel like it if you have great results, as I am not able to follow-up on all the TSB Threads.

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Lighten-Up:

Chirps (01-16-2021), Clare (11-16-2020), mamaardilla (11-15-2020)

If you are planning to keep them til Feb and the girl is not releasable, please contact me. We are first timers but, with the help of this forum and other professional help, our girl is a healthy, energetic, affectionate girl. If she does not display the signs of wanting to leave, we will keep her as a pet (legal here in Florida). I've said all that to say, if it comes time and she's truly not releasable, and our girl is still with us (hasn't turned into a snarling, face biting human hater lol) as a pet, I would love to take in another female so our little Chiquita has a playmate. It would give me a break! She exhausts me! LOL. She got balls, cat toys, boxes, pine cones, sock balls, you name it, we've made it and played with it! Our outdoor (in our screened in porch/pool area) serving table now houses a giant squirrel play house. We are truly ridiculous with the squirrel love but we are empty nesters (regarding humans, at least) and both semi-retired, home most of the time. Check back in with me if looking for a home for her. She sounds really sweet and, so far, so is our. I have been advised on this forum that she may turn on us and we'll continue with release plans at that point but, for now, she's a squirrel spoiled rotten! Keep us in mind. Good luck and great job rehabbing! Sounds like your gut made a good call and saved that precious baby!

Thank you for the information. I think I can handle them just fine until then. I will say they are very used to me already the rest of my human family. I hope that doesn't affect their release. As for the girl, many rehabbers also weren't taking them in because of COVID, the one rehabber I did find is the one that wanted to euthanize. Is there anyone you know of I can reach out to that can at least assess her conditions?

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to nikki101 from:

mamaardilla (11-16-2020)

Oh wow! You guys sound great, seems like you're loving this life. All I want is for her to have a little playmate! They're so social and love playing and wrestling. As of now, I will definitely be over-wintering them myself until Feb-March... at that point I'll get some assistance with release and see how she's looking- I would love to keep in touch, you guys sound like you have a really fun home, how cool <3 Thank you so much for responding!

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to nikki101 from:

mamaardilla (11-16-2020)

Good luck!

Show her the pics of Chiquita on the computer and see if she likes her LOL! Good luck with overwintering. Have a safe and happy holiday season.

ps - if you show her the pics, make sure you show her the one of Chiquita playing Santa Claus...everyone likes that one!

Enjoy!

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to mamaardilla from:

nikki101 (11-16-2020)

Oh man ok, I have been needing to re-read this to get coordinated. I have not got her to sleep in my lap, the best I can do is hold her inside of the blanket.. I'll see if I can try- I have been doing reiki with her, and I think that has helped. This is neat though, thanks for sharing, will definitely look into it some more.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to nikki101 from:

Lighten-Up (11-17-2020)

Oh man ok, I have been needing to re-read this to get coordinated. I have not got her to sleep in my lap, the best I can do is hold her inside of the blanket.. I'll see if I can try- I have been doing reiki with her, and I think that has helped. This is neat though, thanks for sharing, will definitely look into it some more.
    I'm glad you are willing to try it. She doesn't need to be on your lap at all. Just still enough to be able to touch her little fingers and toes for a quality amount of time. I believe it is very relaxing for them, so I suspect she will cooperate at some point.

I am also in Northeast Georgia and if you need a forever home for your NR let me know..I have 2 I'm releasing this spring and I am working on building a group for my flyers release so I will not have any unless a rehabber I know that lives close by gets too many once winter breeding happens..then if she needs me to..I will take a some to help her...I also have nothing but time my fiance works and I sit here at home caring for the little guys I have at the moment.

This is the custom built squirrel cage my fiance built in our home��

Lots of room..(please overlook the mess in the floor..we just had finished building it and hadn't picked up all the scraps and supplies yet)

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirtlesmom80 from:

nikki101 (12-24-2020)

Hi! Thank you for reaching out. I definitely still need some help. As I haven't heard back from the other person who said she may take her in. I have sent you a private message!

Hello, I live at the Jersey shore, and I just joined this forum last night. I would love to foster a squirrel. I don’t care if it’s short term or long term. I love squirrels and will do anything to help them. I don’t even really know how to use this message board. So if you want to contact me my cell phone number is 917-612-5365.
    Joseph

QUOTE=nikki101;1324809]Hi everyone- this is my first time using this forum. I am so happy to have found it! I found two baby squirrels 2 months ago. I had gotten all the information I need to take care of them well, as my friend used to be a rehabber. They are thriving, happy, and so playful. So here is the situation: The reason I did not give them over to a rehabber, is because first they were swamped and I did not think they would get the love they need to heal. Second is that one of them was injured, and she really needed the extra love and attention- people told me that it was supposedly permanent nerve or brain damage, her front legs were dragging behind her when she tried to walk. They fell from a tree during a storm. I was told that she would not make it, and multiple rehabbers told me that they would have to euthanize her. I really didn't like that response. I could tell she wasn't in pain, my gut was telling me that she needed some more time and love to heal- so that is why I raised them myself. And I can gladly say she is doing wonderfully, she has healed so much, walking and climbing all around, but I can tell that she is not up to par with her brother. I'm afraid that she's not ready to be released, at least not yet.. I don't know if ever really, she is not a strong climber, I'm afraid she'd fall from a tree or get harassed by others. I am thinking that she would make a great pet, and it would be so great if I could find her a permanent home with other squirrels. I know how social they are and I couldn't stand her not having any friends to paly with, she loves playing with her brother even if he is stronger than her.

Anyways, right now I am over-wintering them, although it is pretty hot in Georgia still, I don't think it's time. I was planning to release him in the spring, or find someone who could help me with that, as I would like for him to be in the wild, and I live in the suburbs, I also don't have the proper release cage. As for her, she's such a sweetheart, and I really need to find her a loving home. Any leads would be greatly appreciated, thank you all <3[/QUOTE]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast