Thread: Treatment without vet visit?

Default Treatment without vet visit?

I have a gray squirrel that is about 3 weeks old and 51 grams. I hear a clicking, which from what I've found online is likely aspiration pneumonia. I've tried finding a vet that would treat him in my area and so far I'm not finding one. Is there a way to get antibiotics without a vet visit? Is there something else I could be doing to help him?

Default Re: Treatment without vet visit?

Quote Originally Posted by WCN View Post
    I have a gray squirrel that is about 3 weeks old and 51 grams. I hear a clicking, which from what I've found online is likely aspiration pneumonia. I've tried finding a vet that would treat him in my area and so far I'm not finding one. Is there a way to get antibiotics without a vet visit? Is there something else I could be doing to help him?

If this is aspiration pneumonia, antibiotics is the only answer to treatment.
    Squirrels can be treated with human antibiotics, all it would take is a pill or two.
    Preferred medications is Baytril which is an antibiotics for animals, Cipro (
    Ciprofloxacin) is the human form.
    Many woman use Cipro for yeast treatment and often will keep/have this med on hand.

Other antibiotics can be used in lieu of these two.
    Call around to family, friends and see what you can come up with. We can tell you how to break down and dose.
    Be aware that time is of the essence with AP as aspiration pneumonia will take them down fast.

Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Mel1959 (11-10-2020), WCN (11-11-2020)

Exclamation Re: Treatment without vet visit?

Hey guys! I’m kind of in the same situation, 3 weeks old. I haven’t got a weight for her.
    She over drank tonight. She’s been sneezing as long as I keep her upright. I can hear clicking once in a while but not all the time. Is her sneezing good and maybe could stop the fluid from going to her lungs?
    No vet will take her, the closest rehabilitation is full.

She has another feed coming up but I’m afraid to give it to her now.

Pleaseeee help!!!

Default Re: Treatment without vet visit?

Quote Originally Posted by Stina View Post
    Hey guys! I’m kind of in the same situation, 3 weeks old. I haven’t got a weight for her.
    She over drank tonight. She’s been sneezing as long as I keep her upright. I can hear clicking once in a while but not all the time. Is her sneezing good and maybe could stop the fluid from going to her lungs?
    No vet will take her, the closest rehabilitation is full.

She has another feed coming up but I’m afraid to give it to her now.

Pleaseeee help!!!
    If the clicking is not persistent, it is likely she does not have Aspiration Pneumonia (AP). Watch for other signs like a lack of appetite... but a constant, non-stop clicking is a sure sign of AP.

Aspirating formula is the cause of AP, but aspirating will not result in AP every time... Try to locate antibiotics now in case they are needed.