Thread: Rhode Island Chipmunk Permit

Default Rhode Island Chipmunk Permit

Hello everyone,

Thank you for reading my post and helping me. About a month after COVID-19 became aggressive in the north east I discovered a baby chipmunk (about 3 weeks old) in the busy roadway of the ER I work at. There were several cars driving over her almost hitting her. It was quite cold that day and she could barely walk. I thought maybe her mother dropped her there to show her what it's like outside of the nest. So I scooped her up with a cup and moved her to the road side. I waited a few hours and never saw her mother. My shift was over so I decided it may be best to take care of her and find out what to do.

I called a couple vets and they wanted nothing to do with it, so I started researching emergency care. I followed the guidelines that were depicted in multiple websites. She is doing quite well now and thriving! It's been long enough now that we've bonded really well and she is very healthy (eating henry's blocks, mazuri, and primate blocks, as well as fruits and veggies). It's getting colder here and I don't think she has the skills to survive outside now, so I'm keeping her inside. I've really grown to love and care for her. I can tell she loves me too. We play together every day and she falls asleep when I rub her belly at night. She has a nice big Exotic Nutrition cage with plenty of toys, food, and bedding.

So, what I'm asking is how can I obtain a permit to legally own her and is it likely I will receive it in Rhode Island? In my state you can have some very dangerous animals if you just apply for the permit and get it. I am worried I will get fined or get her taken away just by approaching the officials. I love animals and she is in good care with me. I have done significant research in caring for her. I am committed to her for the rest of her life and I'd like that to be long and healthy. With that said, I would like to be able to take her to a vet if needed. If anyone has any advice or experiences with this I am open to it all. Thank you very much!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Zomlies:

Chirps (11-09-2020), Lighten-Up (11-11-2020)

Default Re: Rhode Island Chipmunk Permit

Here's a couple more photos in case you're interested! The first one is her passed out after a belly rub! ��
    Attached Images Attached Images     

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Zomlies:

What a sweet story! She’s lucky to have found you.

From what I can tell most folks don’t apply for permits, because of the difficulty or possibility of not receiving them thereby drawing attention to ownership which is not ideal. I know nothing about the wildlife laws in your state so can’t say what the probability is of you receiving a permit if you apply. I live in Florida and the laws here care less about squirrels and small rodents and more about rabies vector species like raccoons.

This board was created to help folks with squirrels and other small mammals through knowledge and to provide medical assistance for those that don’t have vet access because of where they live or not having a permit. Many of the rehabbers on here have been doing it for 20+ years and the wealth of knowledge that is collectively shared is astounding. Of course, there are times that all that knowledge can’t be replaced by a vet, but we do pretty well and many times can locate a safe vet if necessary.

I hope others in your area will speak up and share what the probability is of you receiving a permit should you decide to go that direction, or give an opinion on what you should do.

Thank you for loving her.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Chirps (11-09-2020), Lighten-Up (11-11-2020), Zomlies (11-09-2020)

Thank you! That's good to know, at least I am not alone then. The laws here are similar, they don't want you taking in animals that are more likely to have rabbies. However you can import almost anything as long as the animal is inspected by a vet and you have a proper habitat for it. Taking an animal from the wild is different however. I didn't know if the circumstances in which I found her would change that though.

I completely agree with you! I have found a wealth of information on here and it has all been very helpful, as are the members! I have seen that many times and it is quite pleasing to see it. If this board wasn't here I'm sure I would have found help through a local rehabber instead. But it is nice that it is so I can be the one to care for her.

Thank you for your advice and for you kind words as well!

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Zomlies:

You might just Google "Wildlife Rehabilitator" + Rhode Island. You will likely find some sort of process and/or license application. Often the bar for getting the license isn't terribly demanding. I wouldn't mention the specific creature at all, this particular chipmunk. If you get the license that should legally cover you for possession of a variety of animals.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

Chirps (11-09-2020), Zomlies (11-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    You might just Google "Wildlife Rehabilitator" + Rhode Island. You will likely find some sort of process and/or license application. Often the bar for getting the license isn't terribly demanding. I wouldn't mention the specific creature at all, this particular chipmunk. If you get the license that should legally cover you for possession of a variety of animals.
    I hate to jump in here but that can be VERY problematic. Many places require that you submit to inspections, and while you can refuse entry to someone demanding to enter your home without a warrant of some kind NOW, a wildlife rehabber must let them in to inspect... Many states require that any animal that cannot complete rehabilitation in 90 days and be released be euthanized.

I would always suggest that people in this position keep the animal invisible - no cute Facebook pages or other social media stuff, don't talk about it, etc.

12. 8 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Chirps (11-09-2020), frankc (11-12-2020), Grinderhead (11-09-2020), island rehabber (11-09-2020), Lighten-Up (11-11-2020), Mel1959 (11-09-2020), Squirreleesi (11-11-2020), Zomlies (11-09-2020)

Yes, I was going to say, having a rehabilitators license is not the same as a permit for an animal. Permits must be applied for through the states wildlife organization and it is specifically for that animal.

Rehabbers are required to document non releasable animals and states differ on the rules regarding that.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Chirps (11-09-2020), island rehabber (11-09-2020)

This is all great information. Thank you all very much. I had actually thought for a minute about taking the test but they aren't holding classes right now due to this stupid virus. Just going by what everyone has said so far it seems to make more sense to just keep things quiet and under the radar for now. Unless there is someone else out there with personal experience in RI I guess. I wonder if there are any RI rehabbers around that would give me a have just in case something ever happened.

Thank you for the advice!

I think if I were you I’d just ride under the radar indefinitely. If you ever need help we’ll be here.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Zomlies (11-10-2020)

Thank you! That is greatly appreciated and very kind of you! This board was the best resource I found after I found her. I will definitely be connected!

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Zomlies from:

Mel1959 (11-10-2020)

I sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zomlies View Post
    Hello everyone,

Thank you for reading my post and helping me. About a month after COVID-19 became aggressive in the north east I discovered a baby chipmunk (about 3 weeks old) in the busy roadway of the ER I work at. There were several cars driving over her almost hitting her. It was quite cold that day and she could barely walk. I thought maybe her mother dropped her there to show her what it's like outside of the nest. So I scooped her up with a cup and moved her to the road side. I waited a few hours and never saw her mother. My shift was over so I decided it may be best to take care of her and find out what to do.

I called a couple vets and they wanted nothing to do with it, so I started researching emergency care. I followed the guidelines that were depicted in multiple websites. She is doing quite well now and thriving! It's been long enough now that we've bonded really well and she is very healthy (eating henry's blocks, mazuri, and primate blocks, as well as fruits and veggies). It's getting colder here and I don't think she has the skills to survive outside now, so I'm keeping her inside. I've really grown to love and care for her. I can tell she loves me too. We play together every day and she falls asleep when I rub her belly at night. She has a nice big Exotic Nutrition cage with plenty of toys, food, and bedding.

So, what I'm asking is how can I obtain a permit to legally own her and is it likely I will receive it in Rhode Island? In my state you can have some very dangerous animals if you just apply for the permit and get it. I am worried I will get fined or get her taken away just by approaching the officials. I love animals and she is in good care with me. I have done significant research in caring for her. I am committed to her for the rest of her life and I'd like that to be long and healthy. With that said, I would like to be able to take her to a vet if needed. If anyone has any advice or experiences with this I am open to it all. Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Zomlies View Post
    Tit seems to make more sense to just keep things quiet and under the radar for now. Unless there is someone else out there with personal experience in RI I guess. I wonder if there are any RI rehabbers around that would give me a have just in case something ever happened.
    Like you said there is a great deal of variation from state to state. Some states don't seem to give a hoot and some states seem to have too many employees with free time on their hands.

You might search the forum for "Rhode Island" and see who you can find to get a little more information.