Thread: Flyer with sudden weight loss

Default Flyer with sudden weight loss

Hello- this is my first time with this sight, so bear with me. I have been rehabbing since 1995 with a PA licensed rehabber. I currently have a flyer that came in as a single at 16gon September 10, 2020, eyes opened, with an open wound on his abdomen.
    Well, he made it and as of two days ago, he was up to 62g and taking 2.5cc four times a day. My problem is, he suddenly lost 3g and is not acting as he was. He has some soft feces , and only took 1cc on his noon feeding. What should I do- could this be stress due to being alone. He has been very calm with me up until last evening.

Default Re: Flyer with sudden weight loss

Can you provide a photo. That would help.

How is the squirrel's breathing? Put their mouth close to your ear.

For a healthy squirrel breathing should be a quiet, unremarkable event. If that is not the case, the first concern would be aspiration pneumonia, where fluid has gotten into the lungs and has caused an infection.

Sudden lethargy and lack of appetite are consistent with AP. Given how quickly it can kill a squirrel, if the breathing is any way noisy or clicky, if it were me, I would immediately treat with antibiotics for AP, because if it is AP you don't have a lot of time to react.

Baytril (animal)/Cipro (human), Clavamox (animal)/augmentin (human) are drugs that are used frequently for upper respiratory infections.

You will only need one or two pills. Board members often call around to friends or family to see if they have any leftover antibiotics.

Baytril: Enrofloxacin, A member of the fluoroquinolone class. Made by Bayer
    Cipro (Ciloxan, Neofloxin) Ciprofloxacin, a broad-spectrum antibiotic of the fluoroquinolone class. Available as a generic.
    Clavamox: amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium
    Augmentin: AMOXICILLIN/CLAVULANIC ACID

If the symptoms of AP are there, an Administrator can PM you with the proper dosage.

Keeping the squirrel upright and warm in the meantime will help, but if it is AP antibiotics are going to be needed.

Default Re: Flyer with sudden weight loss

What size syringe are you using to feed the squirrel?

Is there a nipple attached?