Thread: A Sincere Apology to.....SMZ/TMP

Default A Sincere Apology to.....SMZ/TMP

SMZ/TMP...sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim....Bactrim...old-school antibiotic that has gotten the reputation for being slow-acting and not all that effective. Since here at TSB we are most often dealing with aspiration pneumonia in babies, I have been the first person on line to disparage the use of SMZ/TMP and push Baytril or Cipro because of their swift action.

I'm so sorry, SMZ. My recent experience treating squirrels with fibroma (squirrel pox) has raised you to a new level of respect in my book. I have two with remaining lesions on their eyes and nothing -- not even the almighty Baytril -- had touched these lesions for over five weeks. I had SMZ in the cabinet...oh what the hell, let's try it.

Typically of SMZ, nothing happened immediately either. And then on the 6th day I woke up to find my squirrels' eye lesions noticeably smaller, dryer and shrunken. Today, the 11th day, the differences are remarkable and I am soooo happy.

So, yeah, SMZ, you're slow. But you turned the corner for my kids so I sincerely apologize for trashing you. Thanks!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

2. 12 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

BCChins (11-06-2020), Bravo (11-05-2020), Chirps (11-08-2020), Diggie's Friend (11-06-2020), Grinderhead (11-06-2020), HRT4SQRLS (11-06-2020), Mel1959 (11-06-2020), PennyCash (11-06-2020), Scooterzmom (12-09-2021), stepnstone (11-05-2020), SugarMom (12-04-2021), TubeDriver (11-06-2020)

Default Re: A Sincere Apology to.....SMZ/TMP

Good news always welcome.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic929_1.gif

I totally agree. The sulfa drugs are definitely old school but they have the advantage of not developing the resistance over the years that the other antibiotics have. Some of the most resistance organisms are now being treated successfully with Septra. An antibiotic that had mostly been replaced with newer generations of antibiotics has now gained new respect because it STILL works for resistant organisms whereas others don’t. The drug of choice for uncomplicated MRSA wound infections is SMZ/TMP (Septra). It has broad coverage including both Gram positive and Gram negative organisms. It has no coverage for anaerobes so a wound suspected of having anaerobes (deep wound with foul odor or near a mucous membrane) shouldn’t be treated with SMZ/TMP alone. It should be stacked with an antibiotic that covers for anaerobes.

I have very little confidence in Ciprofloxacin or Baytril. When they were first introduced they were awesome but due to the development of resistance their use is limited to situations where Gram negative organisms are involved. The GI flora is predominantly Gram negative organisms so any infection that might be due to fecal contamination or proximity to the GI tract (aka UTI) is appropriate to use a fluoroquinolone like Ciprofloxacin or Baytril. It should never be used for treating wounds alone.

To be honest with you, I have no idea why Ciprofloxacin is so effective for aspiration pneumonia. I like the fact that you will see a turn around in 18-24 hrs. In my mind, based on coverage it shouldn’t even work but it does.

5. 8 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Bravo (11-06-2020), Chirps (11-08-2020), Diggie's Friend (12-07-2021), Grinderhead (11-06-2020), island rehabber (11-06-2020), Mel1959 (11-06-2020), PennyCash (11-06-2020), TubeDriver (11-06-2020)

Patti I was so hoping you would weigh in on this, thanks! (Almost PM'd you about it, but didn't want to bother you .)

In my mind, based on coverage it shouldn’t even work but it does.
    That's like the Zovirax -- even my vet said it should not work for pox -- pox is "not a herpes virus". Except that it does.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Diggie's Friend (12-07-2021), PennyCash (11-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    SMZ/TMP...sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim....Bactrim...old-school antibiotic that has gotten the reputation for being slow-acting and not all that effective. Since here at TSB we are most often dealing with aspiration pneumonia in babies, I have been the first person on line to disparage the use of SMZ/TMP and push Baytril or Cipro because of their swift action.

I'm so sorry, SMZ. My recent experience treating squirrels with fibroma (squirrel pox) has raised you to a new level of respect in my book. I have two with remaining lesions on their eyes and nothing -- not even the almighty Baytril -- had touched these lesions for over five weeks. I had SMZ in the cabinet...oh what the hell, let's try it.

Typically of SMZ, nothing happened immediately either. And then on the 6th day I woke up to find my squirrels' eye lesions noticeably smaller, dryer and shrunken. Today, the 11th day, the differences are remarkable and I am soooo happy.

So, yeah, SMZ, you're slow. But you turned the corner for my kids so I sincerely apologize for trashing you. Thanks!

Will this help the wild one i posted about? Prescription only? Can't find again 🤦🏼*♀️New pics up and looking more like pox. 😭

it can help, yes... but it is Rx only. Particularly effective on the big gross weepy lesions.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

The Vets need to catch up with the research, so that rehabbers can know what may work.

These articles relate the potential of pure Dragon's blood tree sap when used topically source to be able to counter a number of pox viruses and for a change in diet during the course. In addition, to use during treatment of the virus an augmented diet which removes all nuts and seeds from the diet that contain protein that is high in the amino acid Arginine, which is known to fuel the growth of viruses; and instead use protein sources low in Arginine, like whey protein concentrate and low fat organic yogurt plain organic that is naturally low in sugar content. Also, Calcium AEP, which as explained supports blocking viruses from entering the core of cells, thereby inhibiting their growth.

(See my posts 9)

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...33#post1241733

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Chirps (12-09-2021), island rehabber (12-08-2021)

Good info, DF. Hard to control the diet of wild squirrels with pox, but in a rehab or clinical setting this would be so worth trying.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Diggie's Friend (12-09-2021)