Thread: Injured chipmunk

Default Injured chipmunk

My son in law found a chipmunk sitting still on his garage floor. He thinks he may have gotten caught in a mouse trap that was on a ledge. The trap fell, but she was not in it. It took a little to catch her but I brought her home. She favored a front paw. I gave her pain meds and lots of hydration. Her little cheeks were full of sunflower seeds that she spit out. After awhile I switched her to formula and apple juice in between. She drank both heartily. After several days she started to eat rodent block and some seeds and nuts. Now when I try to give her anything by syringe she squirms all over and does not want it. She can now groom and use all her limbs. She could not before. The thing is, she is very calm, not at all like a chipmunk. Could she be afraid, still recovering? She was 92 grams when I got her.

We will be getting warm weather here soon. I would like to release her back so she can go to her hole, but I do not want to release too early, but not when it gets cold either!! Any ideas??

Default Re: Injured chipmunk

Iím not sure what is best for her. Iíve never dealt with a chipmunk. I assume you mean you will release back where she was found as thatís where her hole/home would be?

I hope others with more knowledge about this will respond and give you guidance.

Thank you for caring for her.

Yes, my daughter's house is next to the woods and many chippy holes in the area. Thanks for your response.

You said that she weighed 92 grams when you found her. How much does she weigh currently?

99 grams.

Like some Squirrels, Chippies tend to be on the friendly side when they are being treated, or fed.
    If she has completely recovered and friendly is your only concern, I would release her back to the
    area she was found.

Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Mel1959 (11-05-2020), TubeDriver (11-05-2020)

Stepnstone, I did as you suggested. I have rehabbed many orphan squirrels and chippies, but never an injured adult. At first she was a little unsure, but then scurried away under some steps where I have seen a chipmunk before and a hole not far away! Thank you for the suggestion!!!

9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to nkkritters:

Mel1959 (11-05-2020), stepnstone (11-05-2020), TubeDriver (11-05-2020)