Thread: Squirrels and Other Domestic Pets...

Default Squirrels and Other Domestic Pets...

Quick question to TSB. We have a very well behaved dog; Pete. He's been very good with all animals. He has been avoiding Buddy, which is good. He does that when we have other pets/animals in our house. He knows that Buddy is special and important to us. Recently, when I play with Buddy, he seems to want to join and play.

I've not been encouraging any kind of friendship or interaction, but I was wondering if anyone here had a good friendship between their domestic pets and their rescued squirrel.

I'm asking, because it might be a long winter and already Buddy stays in his nest box when it's windy or slightly cold. He might be getting used to the outdoor weather conditions, but I don't want him to be staying in his nest box all winter. So if I bring him home indoor during the day (he will be with us at home during the night anyways), it might be nice if they are friends.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

As always, thank you!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Please visit "My Buddy" thread to know more about Buddy: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...65309-My-Buddy

Default Re: Squirrels and Other Domestic Pets...

There is always a level of concern that when a squirrel becomes friends with a particular dog or cat that they will think all dogs and cats are safe. This is why itís not recommended.

With that said, I have not personally seen this with any of my squirrels....or my wilds. I allowed the first two squirrels i rehabbed to stay in the main room of my house where I had multiple cats and a dog. They did not interact out of the cage with any of them, but they were nose to nose through the cage. They were released and knew/sensed right away that the neighbors dog was not the same as my dog.

I feed the wild squirrels in the late afternoon. My 100lb dog lays right out there where the wilds run around him to get a nut. He would never go after them and it appears they know heís not a threat.

Iím still not certain itís good for them to interact and play together, but I believe there are folks that have NR squirrels that have probably done that. I just donít know of anyone.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (11-01-2020), Rock Monkey (11-02-2020)

Thank you! That's what I've been leaning to (not playing together or getting close), but I thought I'd ask, in case the answer is "Oh, no, it's fine!". And I didn't want to prevent a potential friendship that could be built.
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Please visit "My Buddy" thread to know more about Buddy: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...65309-My-Buddy

I agree with Mel. I think the risk is too great. There are a number of posts on this forum about somebody's dog or cat having gotten hold of a rehabbed squirrel, the poster often being vague about the details about how this happened, and it is always the squirrel that comes out on the short end. Better that Buddy should stick with his genetic wiring which tells him that dogs are potentially dangerous. Buddy will surely go into other people's yards once released.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (11-02-2020)

Thank you! Yes, agreed! I'll continue keeping them separate and won't be encouraging any interaction.