Thread: Blood in Urine

Default Blood in Urine

Hi All! The squirrel we have been rehabbing since 9/5 has urine in her blood. She's very active and has been eating fine. She weighs ~275g. She's always been tiny. She ate half a block and peed normally, then walked away and peed a couple drops of blood. She was jumping around like normal, then she stopped and dripped another drop of blood and then went into her bed. Her urine has no smell.

What could be wrong? We're in central Florida. She eats diet of HHB and random veggies, with an occasional fruit or nut as a treat. The only recent change was that we gave her a little turnip green and kale. She still has some FV formula occasionally.

I do not have a local vet to take her to. Does this sound like a bladder infection? She drinks fresh water regularly.

Are there any homeopathic remedies for bladder infection? OTC meds for infection? Thanks for the help!

Thanks!

Default Re: Blood in Urine

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix24k View Post
    Hi All! The squirrel we have been rehabbing since 9/5 has urine in her blood. She's very active and has been eating fine. She weighs ~275g. She's always been tiny. She ate half a block and peed normally, then walked away and peed a couple drops of blood. She was jumping around like normal, then she stopped and dripped another drop of blood and then went into her bed. Her urine has no smell.

What could be wrong? We're in central Florida. She eats diet of HHB and random veggies, with an occasional fruit or nut as a treat. The only recent change was that we gave her a little turnip green and kale. She still has some FV formula occasionally.

I do not have a local vet to take her to. Does this sound like a bladder infection? She drinks fresh water regularly.

Are there any homeopathic remedies for bladder infection? OTC meds for infection? Thanks for the help!

Thanks!
    Has she been fed any acorns?
    Unsure with Fla squirrels, could it be her estrous cycle?
    A uti would require an anti biotic.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

We haven't given her any acorns. She has been nibbling on branches from our oak tree. We also got her some chew toys that she has been using over the past few days. When do they usually get their first cycle? We think that she is approximately 12-13 weeks old. What antibiotics would she need if it is a UTI?

She is up and it appears that she is struggling to pee now. She peed a normal amount when she first woke up and it was pink. Now she is stopping every few minutes and appears to be trying to pee but it's only a drop or two and they are pink as well.

I would look for Baytril (animal med) or Cipro (Ciprofloxacin) - Human med.
    (Woman are prescribed Cipro for yeast infections and often have the med handy)

Animal or human ab let us know what you can come up with, we can tell you if it
    can be used and how to dose. We will need a weight on squirrel as all meds given
    squirrels are dosed by the squirrel's body weight.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

I will keep asking around. So far no luck... Thank you!

If we can't find anyone that has some available, is there something else we can do?

I will keep asking around. So far no luck... Thank you!

If we can't find anyone that has some available, is there something else we can do?
    You can try finding a product called "Fish flox" at a pet or aquarium store.
    It is for the treatment of aquarium fish that one can buy over the counter without script.
    Fish flox is Ciprofloxacin.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

I've checked with all the pet stores and walmarts in the area and it's either sold out or not sold... Only place I can find some is on chewy or walmartrx online. They are Fish Aid Antibiotics Ciprofloxacin, 250 mg.

Can this wait the 2 days it takes for these to ship to my house? Is there anything I can do in the mean time to help her until it gets here? Could cranberries help? I have fresh cranberries.

I've been feeding her only things that have always worked out, took all the new toys and vegetables out, and she is drinking her water plenty. I gave her a grape because I saw that helps keep her hydrated. Her pee is now just a very light pink, and she's still acting normal.

Thanks for all your help stepnstone.

I've checked with all the pet stores and walmarts in the area and it's either sold out or not sold... Only place I can find some is on chewy or walmartrx online. They are Fish Aid Antibiotics Ciprofloxacin, 250 mg.

Can this wait the 2 days it takes for these to ship to my house? Is there anything I can do in the mean time to help her until it gets here? Could cranberries help? I have fresh cranberries.

I've been feeding her only things that have always worked out, took all the new toys and vegetables out, and she is drinking her water plenty. I gave her a grape because I saw that helps keep her hydrated. Her pee is now just a very light pink, and she's still acting normal.

Thanks for all your help stepnstone.
    If it's the best you can come up with order it, if this is a uti she will need the ab.
    Cranberries won't cure anything but they do contain an ingredient called (A-type proanthocyanidins (PAC) that can prevent bacteria from sticking to the bladder wall, so they may be of some benefit to help hinder a uti.
    In the meantime while waiting on an ab, keep her hydrated to keep her system flushed and make sure she is at least passing some urine and not backing/blocking up.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Phoenix24k (10-31-2020)

We ordered it and it should be here in two days. I will continue to ask around to see if I can find one before it gets here, but it is a very sought after antibiotic right now. All the stores I called to ask said they haven't been able to get any in and are on back order. Thank again for all your help!

We ordered it and it should be here in two days. I will continue to ask around to see if I can find one before it gets here, but it is a very sought after antibiotic right now. All the stores I called to ask said they haven't been able to get any in and are on back order. Thank again for all your help!
    Try to get a weight on your girl, we will need that to dose the ab when necessary.

Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

I’m just now seeing this thread. Sorry. There are several members in your area that would have antibiotics if you can drive to get them. There are also a couple of reputable squirrel friendly vets not too far from you. I will send you my number in a private message and you can contact me.

Edit: number sent in a pm

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Phoenix24k (11-01-2020), stepnstone (11-01-2020)

This member has been put in contact with Nana3 for antibiotics and dosing instructions.

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Phoenix24k (11-01-2020), Rock Monkey (11-02-2020), stepnstone (11-01-2020)

Thank you so much for all the help today in getting our little girl the meds she needed! We greatly appreciate everyone so much!

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Phoenix24k:

Mel1959 (11-01-2020), stepnstone (11-01-2020)