Thread: Chewing/sucking tail

Default Chewing/sucking tail

Hello
    I have a five week old squirrel who has been chewing/sucking his tail in his sleep. So far it’s not to point of injury but I’m worried his fur will not grow back there. Any suggestions on what to do to stop this is greatly appreciated. Thank you! Name:  CF29C28F-8B84-4043-9DFB-6C9E5FC8BFB8.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  484.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Chewing/sucking tail

The hair should grow back.

How often, and how much, are you feeding? Many times when babies suckle excessively or on siblings, it’s because they are being underfed. We recommend feeding 5-7% of their weight in formula at each feeding.

Also what formula are you feeding?

I have not found any of the yucky tasting topical products to actually be effective to keep a dedicated sucker from sucking. Maybe others will have a suggestion.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Squirrlmomma (10-28-2020)

I am using the fox valley 20/50 squirrel milk replacer. He gets one and a half teaspoons every four hours and currently weighs 100 grams but is two hours away from his next feeding. I would feed him more frequently but his belly gets so full and I don’t want to bloat him. Also is he too young to let him chew on a walnut soaked in goats milk?

One and a half teaspoons is the equivalent of 7.5ml, so the amount you’re feeding is good. As he continues to grow and gain weight you will need to increase his formula gradually.

Are you mixing the formula 1:2, meaning one part formula to 2 parts hot water? It’s best to mix it and let it sit in the refrigerator for several hours so it dissolves completely.

I’m not sure where you got the recommendation to feed him a walnut soaked in formula, but you do not want to give him ANY nuts until he is much, much older. Giving him a nut now would be like giving a baby cotton candy. Nuts can be harmful for captive squirrels because they upset the calcium to phosphorous ratio in their bodies. It’s imperative that the proper calcium to phosphorous ratio be maintained in their bodies to prevent the calcium from being pulled from their bones when fed foods high in phosphorous. Nuts are exceptionally high in phosphorous. An imbalance in their body can result in the squirrel developing MBD which is fatal if left untreated.

The first solid food he should be given is a rodent block. You can offer block to him now. At first he probably won’t eat much, but in time he will. Henrys pets online sells blocks that most squirrels love. The picky eater and hazelnut blocks are favorites. He only needs 2-3 a day along with healthy veggies from the squirrel diet. The veggies aren’t started until he is eating the block really well. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...5&d=1391033425

Another block that is healthy is Harlan Teklad 2018. It’s not nearly as tasty as the Henrys block, but is cheaper. He can have as many of these blocks as he wants.

You will need to plan on overwintering him and releasing him in the spring. He won’t be old enough before cold weather sets in. We don’t recommend release until at least 14-16 weeks old.

Here’s some info on squirrel care. https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

As for the tail. I haven’t found anything that discourages suckling. I hope if someone else knows of something they will post it.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (10-28-2020), Squirrlmomma (10-28-2020)

I think giving blocks or even some small branches might help him be less interested in his tail (as he'd be interested in exploring/chewing the block or branch).
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Squirrlmomma (10-28-2020)

Yes I am doing it 1:2 and make sure it refrigerates for at least four hours before I feed.

I am still mixing in just about 2 mls of Pedialyte at time of feeding, not in his milk,
    to keep him hydrated. I’ve seen him release on his own but I still have been rubbing his belly with a warm cloth before and after feeding and he’s still gone in my hands as well from it.

I will order him the Henry’s blocks now.
    I read it in a different forum but the squirrel was older so that’s why I asked first since my guy is still young.

I’ve been reading about how to transition him and read it’s a 5-6 month process for it to be done successfully so I was figuring March/April. I have the most perfect backyard for him that’s secluded, right next to a river so there’s tons of trees, and there’s already wild bunnies and squirrels that live in my backyard and neighborhood.

I do have a little branch I’ve been giving him I just wasn’t sure if he was too young for them yet. Thank you for the advice and articles I will look in to them now!

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrlmomma View Post
    I am still mixing in just about 2 mls of Pedialyte at time of feeding, not in his milk, to keep him hydrated.
    It is recommended not to use pedialyte for more than 24 hrs.
    Hydration is best with plain water or slightly sweetened with sugar or honey for taste.
    Re-hydration is best given in-between feedings, not with or in place of feedings.

This may also help deter his night time suckling.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Mel1959 (10-29-2020), Squirrlmomma (10-28-2020)