Thread: Is Bitter Orange ok for cage biting?

Default Is Bitter Orange ok for cage biting?

My Georgie is 18 weeks old. Hes still not weaned and Im overwintering. He gets four hours a day out of his cage interacting with me and playing. Once in the morning and once in the evening. He has my undivided attention during those hours. When he's in the cage, he bites on the bars. I know that means he wants out but I think he gets enough outside the cage time. Would it be okay to put bitter orange on the bars of the cage where he chews? I'm worried about his teeth from the chewing.

Default Re: Is Bitter Orange ok for cage biting?

Is there any way that Georgie can have his own room to run around in? He has tasted freedom and wants it all of the time.
    Georgie wants more freedom and that will increase with time.

A number of forum members have given similar freedom, myself included.

Of course, everything needs to be unplugged and a lot of loose objects would probably need to be removed. Squirrel proofing is an ongoing process.

Chewing on the cage bars can lead to malocclusion which is a serious, expensive problem.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Squirreleesi (10-31-2020)

Thanks for your reply. However we dont have any spare rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Is there any way that Georgie can have his own room to run around in? He has tasted freedom and wants it all of the time.
    Georgie wants more freedom and that will increase with time.

A number of forum members have given similar freedom, myself included.

Of course, everything needs to be unplugged and a lot of loose objects would probably need to be removed. Squirrel proofing is an ongoing process.

Chewing on the cage bars can lead to malocclusion which is a serious, expensive problem.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiesMom View Post
    My Georgie is 18 weeks old. Hes still not weaned and Im overwintering. He gets four hours a day out of his cage interacting with me and playing. Once in the morning and once in the evening. He has my undivided attention during those hours. When he's in the cage, he bites on the bars. I know that means he wants out but I think he gets enough outside the cage time. Would it be okay to put bitter orange on the bars of the cage where he chews? I'm worried about his teeth from the chewing.

Citrus such as oranges and lemons can cause cancer in male rats, so I have always avoided giving my squirrels citrus fruits to be on the safe side regardless of their sex.

As you probably know from stating concern for his teeth, biting cage bars can cause a number of teeth issues such as broken teeth, Odontomas, misalignment, ect that would need vet care and interferrence :/

Typically I have found when my rehab squirrels start biting the bars they are feeling restless, frustrated, and/or want to run around fromm too much pent up energy. I feel like it would almost be cruel of you to punish Georgie for feeling that way. If he were in the wild he would have the world to explore until his heart's content. They are very energetic animals and in my opinion, if he's biting the bars than regardless of what you feel, Georgie needs more than 4hrs a day to play outside of his cage.