Thread: Playtime Questions

Default Playtime Questions

Hi Everyone! Everything here has been going smooth with the boys, they are doing great, turned 8 weeks on Tuesday. We are down to feeding 3x a day with some HHB/Teklab (or however you spell them) and just started on broccoli, cauliflower, fennel, arugula and Brussel sprouts was newest today. They definitely each have their favorites of those. So funny squirrels have their individual preferences.

My question is this, they are super playful, and play with each other fine, haven't gotten nasty or had any bites between them or anything, is the little squeaky noises they make normal playing? At what point should I separate them and how will I know if it is aggressive? I haven't heard them growl at each other or anything and I don't usually leave them alone together if I am not going to be home. They are also sleeping separately because we had a few, ahem, 'sucking' issues, lol. They will nap together during the day sometimes but at night I separate them out.

My second question is I have read a lot on here about people letting the squirrels run around their houses and kind of have free reign of the house, well I tried this for just a little bit in my kitchen and about had a heart attack, lol. I was worried they were going to get into a hole and I wouldn't be able to get them out or they would stick a hand in a socket or something. You name it I thought if it. Luckily they didn't venture too far from me, sitting on my kitchen floor and I had two dog gates up to keep them from leaving the little area, but it was nerve wracking!! Am I just being way to paranoid and they won't like escape and get stuck somewhere? They are climbing really well and run up and down my shoulders and through my hair and down to my waist, the one boy (we have nicknamed him Spaz, cuz he is a nut) even climbed all the way up my leg to my shoulders when playtime in the kitchen was done. I just want to make sure they are getting enough exercise and I don't want them to feel cramped in their cage but holy goodness between the jumping (and seeming to not yet kind of have great depth perception) and the speed at which they run, I just worry they will hurt themselves. Am I being too paranoid about it, lol??

Here's a couple of pics of both boys the chunker eating is Spaz, the other one is Pinky (or pink butt, I had to mark him with nail polish because they look so similar, lol, now his tail is much bushier than Spaz's so they're a little easier to tell apart)
    Name:  Pinky 8 Weeks Old.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  140.7 KB
    Name:  Squirrel Adventures 8 weeks.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  122.1 KB

Default Re: Playtime Questions

Goodness, I thought you had them together. Now that they are bigger I would put them together. The sucking thing is usually the babies. I really don’t think a teenage squirrel would allow that. They should be past this. As long as they are raised together they should remain friends until release. Are you overwintering? Sorry, I didn’t notice where you are. It would make it a lot easier if they are together.

Squirrels love to play with each other. They roll, tumble and wrestle but I haven’t seen it to be aggressive unless you have a real turd in the group.

The kitchen is the worst place you can let them play. The cabinets sometimes have voids in the kickboard, dishwasher, stove, refrig, etc. I am terrified if a squirrel is in the kitchen and approaches the refrigerator. I fear they will crawl under the refrigerator and get to the back where the compressor and fan are. I have panicked a few times over that. The kitchen is a big no. The bathroom or bedroom is safer. Of course the toilet would need to be closed. You could hang a towel on towel bars, etc for them to climb. A beach towel would be a real delight.

You’re not being paranoid. They can and will crawl into tight spots and get stuck if given the chance. Flyers are smaller but I remember a new flyer (the first day) running under the stove. They dismantled the place and couldn’t find him. A few days later they found his body in the insulation surrounding the oven.

Edit… is that two Critter Nation cages? You can actually link the two cages together and make it a mega cage.

3. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Chirps (10-09-2021), eshepard (10-09-2021), KCullen (10-13-2021), Lighten-Up (10-09-2021), Mel1959 (10-09-2021), redwuff (10-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Goodness, I thought you had them together. Now that they are bigger I would put them together. The sucking thing is usually the babies. I really don’t think a teenage squirrel would allow that. They should be past this. As long as they are raised together they should remain friends until release. Are you overwintering? Sorry, I didn’t notice where you are. It would make it a lot easier if they are together.

Squirrels love to play with each other. They roll, tumble and wrestle but I haven’t seen it to be aggressive unless you have a real turd in the group.

The kitchen is the worst place you can let them play. The cabinets sometimes have voids in the kickboard, dishwasher, stove, refrig, etc. I am terrified if a squirrel is in the kitchen and approaches the refrigerator. I fear they will crawl under the refrigerator and get to the back where the compressor and fan are. I have panicked a few times over that. The kitchen is a big no. The bathroom or bedroom is safer. Of course the toilet would need to be closed. You could hang a towel on towel bars, etc for them to climb. A beach towel would be a real delight.

You’re not being paranoid. They can and will crawl into tight spots and get stuck if given the chance. Flyers are smaller but I remember a new flyer (the first day) running under the stove. They dismantled the place and couldn’t find him. A few days later they found his body in the insulation surrounding the oven.

Edit… is that two Critter Nation cages? You can actually link the two cages together and make it a mega cage.
    Thank you for the advice!! yeah, we had the kitchen looking like a mental hospital, towels everywhere blocking everything, dog gates up so they couldn't get out, it was too funny. Three of us sitting on the floor with them watching their every move, lol. I can't believe I didn't think of the bathroom. What a great idea. Will try that tomorrow when they do their next playtime.

Yes, two of the big critter nation cages. I don't know if they can link together, I will have to see if I can find instructions online for that. I am sure they would love more floor space. And yes, I will be overwintering them. I am in Virginia, it is still fairly warm here now, but they are not even remotely close to being ready to try outside on their own. It would be great if I can figure out how to connect the two so as they get bigger they will have more room since they are with us for the next few months for sure. Thank you again!!

I’m pretty sure the CN’s can be linked together. A member here had 3 CN linked side by side for her Baby.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

eshepard (10-10-2021)

You marked one of them on the back with pink nail polish? Aren't you worried they will chew/lick the nail polish off while grooming and eat it?