Thread: Abdominal Lumps?

Default Abdominal Lumps?

I have a rescued 5-6 week old male that has had GI problems (resolved) but now is eating poorly and lethargic. Probably dehydrated so giving water and whatever formula he will take. As I feel his abdomen there are 2 firm lumps in the upper left quadrant. What could they be? He poops ok. Feeding Esbilac and Ultraboost.

Default Re: Abdominal Lumps?

How long have you had the squirrel?

What is its current weight?

Has that weight been going up or down recently?

How long has the squirrel been lethargic?

Is the squirrel exhibiting any noisy breathing? If so you should be concerned about a potential case of aspiration pneumonia.

Lethargy and loss of appetite are also symptoms of aspiration pneumonia.

If so you should keep the squirrel upright to make breathing easier in the event that there is fluid in the lungs. Tucking the squirrel between layers of your clothing is a good way to achieve this.

If the squirrel's breathing is audible or labored in any way I would start immediately searching for antibiotics in your household or among friends and family. Only one or two pills will be needed.

"Baytril (animal)/Cipro (human), Clavamox (animal)/Augmentin (human) are drugs that are used frequently for upper respiratory infections."

Sometimes the longer, official names are what are found on the medication bottle.

Baytril: Enrofloxacin, A member of the fluoroquinolone class. Made by Bayer
    Cipro (Ciloxan, Neofloxin) Ciprofloxacin, a broad-spectrum antibiotic of the fluoroquinolone class. Available as a generic.
    Clavamox: amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium
    Augmentin: AMOXICILLIN/CLAVULANIC ACID

Also, can you post a picture of the squirrel and the lumps in question. That will help the experienced eyes make a diagnosis.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (10-27-2020)