Thread: Outside during the day

Default Outside during the day

I have a male squirrel, Macgyver, who was the only survivor from a fallen nest during hurricane Laura. A friend found him in her yard and I took him to bottle feed. I am guessing he was 2 weeks old at that time since his eyes began to open about 2 weeks afterwards. My question is in regards to him being outside during the day. When he started wanting to go outside I gradually introduced to the outside world so that he wasn't so scared. I have a HUGE oak tree about 15 or so feet from my back carport and for the past several days he spends the daylight hours running all over it. There r no other squirrels in that tree or on my acre of land. I live a few acres from a patch of woods and thats where most of them stay. Anyway, Macgyver comes to my back door every evening at dusk to be let back in for the night. Does anyone else have experience with this? I'm curious how long he will come back in at night? I WANT him to keep coming in! Lol. But I know he will eventually stop. I put food and a few nuts out on low areas of the tree so he can snack outside too. Any advice or comments welcome! Sorry such a long post.

Default Re: Outside during the day

Most of us use a soft release from a n outdoor cage. It gives them security while they grow accustomed to the outdoor sounds and activity both day and night.
    That said, I'm not sure how long it will take with your method, but I would hang a nestbox up in the tree for him to use. How old would you say he is now?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Thank u for ur response and I should have clarified. I do have a cage set up outside for him as well. I also keep a window in my kitchen open enough for him to come back in whenever he wants. The window is under my carport so avoids weather. I am estimating he is almost 3 months old now. It is chilly and rainy here today, so he is chosing to stay inside this morning. I want to do what's best for him, and for him to be happy as well as as safe as possible. I will be adding a nesting box to the tree as well. He only started wanting out about 4 days ago, so I haven't had time for that part yet, but I will definitely do that. If it were up to me I would keep him in forever with me, but if he can be happier outside and reasonably safe I will make it happen!

My guess is that he will spend less and less time indoors as time goes on. He may choose to winter inside with you. Their hard-wired instincts become stronger and stronger.

Ideally the nest box should be at least 20 ft. up a tree and that tree should be interconnected with the limbs of other trees.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

Buddy (10-27-2020), GyversMom (10-27-2020)