Thread: Overwinter?

Default Overwinter?

I want to ask for opinions about my two little greys (males) that came end of September. Eyes were open 9/24/20 ; the smallest only weighed 69g, so guessing at least 5 week old then? I read a thread where in some areas , babies can be released through December. Would that be the same for us in MS? Last winter was fairly cold here, we had some temps. down in the teens many nights. These two are still quite small but very healthy and rowdy. Taking formula twice daily.
    I’ve never overwintered squirrels. I want them to have the best chance for survival, but I also hate to keep them in a regular sized CN cage for months. I have the exercise porch for my NR’s that I could potentially keep their cage in, and open the door for exercise.. But would they try to breed my NR females?? I do not want another accidental baby squirrel crisis here ! The other option would be to let them overwinter/grow up in a large RC . We could move the big one that’s out in the woods closer to the house in case a heat source is needed . I’m just trying to get a routine as I have to work fulltime now Got to get a plan here, or train family to be zookeepers....

Default Re: Overwinter?

If it was me I would definitely overwinter the boys.
    I never had a problem overwintering in a double cn, but Sabrina who was spoiled and had a third layer ( she was my only overwinter with that type of luxury).
    I'm here in NE AL and our winter was really mild last year, but I'm not sure what to expect this year.
    I personally would not release later than the mid October, not so much due to temperature, but my backyard is all hardwood and there is 0 leaf coverage once the leaves are gone, and I think life outside is just more challenging for them starting an outdoor life during winter. They won't have a food stash, I know you'd provide for them, but that might attract unwanted guests.
    I don't have a good place to overwinter outside so I have no experience in that department.
    I'm sure others will chime in.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lukaslolamaus:

Buddy (10-25-2020), Snicker Bar (10-25-2020)

I agree, I think I’d overwinter them, too. Are you able to handle them? If you are you can keep them in the CN cage and give them occasional out of cage time. If you’d feel better giving them more room then move the RC closer to the house so you can provide heat if necessary. The extra time over the winter will help them to be better prepared for release and they won’t have the winter to deal with. Older squirrels always do better IMO.

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (11-26-2020), Scooterzmom (10-24-2020), Snicker Bar (10-25-2020)

I'm with lukaslolamaus and mel on this: I too agree with overwintering them. Either solution you propose sounds just fine, and wise. You can always start with the CN on the porch and, should you see any problem arising like getting along with your NRs, then you could always go with moving the RC close to the house. I really don't think the young ones would be mature enough to make babies with their roommates before release but others can chime in on that. For my part, I have never had any of my overwintering males impregnating any of their female companions in all my years of overwintering; I must say, however, the females were not mature NRs.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Scooterzmom from:

Snicker Bar (10-25-2020)

Everyone knows my feelings about overwintering by now, although it's definitely an opinion that comes from city life and rehabbing in a small apartment, under the nose of a vicious condo board who cannot know that the squirrels exist. Quite different from suburban or country life with large outdoor pens or even a "squirrel room" or "rehab building"!

I feel that unless you DO have that room, or that building, that overwintering is stressful on both humans and squirrels. Stressful for us as we watch them develop neurotic, repetitive behaviors like back-flipping, pacing, and obsessively chewing the bars of the cage. I can't do it anymore; it's too awful, and cage bar chewing causes odontomae. I supplement my releases every other day with nuts in the shell and veggies -- even HHBs if they will still eat them. Never had anyone die of hunger out there, or cold.

I may be forced to keep my two who still exhibit pox symptoms -- Charlotte and Billy -- over the winter, and I am literally losing sleep over it.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Buddy (10-25-2020), lukaslolamaus (10-25-2020), Snicker Bar (10-25-2020)

Thank you for these thoughts. I can handle them now , but like the last two pairs I tried not to handle them at all after weaning.
    Jon has some ideas about remodeling a building we have that’s on edge of the woods but closer for me , if they do stay. Maybe make an indoor/outdoor release pen with lots of room, just in case . We are going to study that today Thanks again

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Snicker Bar:

lukaslolamaus (10-25-2020), Scooterzmom (11-25-2020)

I’m working fulltime now so while we have good weather and the weekend, I’m trying to decide whether to move the RC today, or attempt ( under supervision) to allow to the boys to have out of cage freedom with the other NR’s . If they are approx 12 + week’s sold, is there ANY chance of them breeding any of these girls before spring release?? If so I will definitely have to move the RC this weekend. They have to have more room .

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

Scooterzmom (11-25-2020)

I'm chiming in with my own overwinter questions. I have a 13 week old Eastern grey solo boy. I am fortunate enough to have a whole room he has the run of, complete with furniture to climb and jump on. He's made a nest inside an enormous teddy bear up there, and also has a wall-mounted nest box and a hanging cube instead his old cage. We visit him multiple times daily and play, wrestle, snuggle, etc.
    Despite the size of the room, frequent company, and plenty of toys and new branches/dirt/pine cones from outside to explore every day, he is spending hours pacing back and forth in front of the door to the room. I think it's only a matter of time before he makes a break for it when we enter and dread the next three months of trying to guard against a jailbreak.

What suggestions would you have for keeping him stimulated and thriving until March? Should I just keep a rotating parade of cardboard boxes / stuffed toys / outside world objects every couple of days? Is he likely to make a break for it one day? Is his winter confinement going to make him miserable the entire time? We also have a cat and dog in the house so letting him have further roaming room is not possible.
    I'm in Western Oregon so winters are quite variable. All the squirrels I see outside are SO chubby and much bigger than this guy is. I just don't know that being inside is much kinder.

I can relate to your situation; since I posted this , I’ve acquired another , a single male.
    Too bad we don’t live closer , we could combine them AND some sort of plan! I ended up moving our RC and attaching it by a portal to a building so they can have access to an indoor cage /heat if needed. But this little one is too small to try and introduce and overwinter with them. I’m afraid they would attack him . So not sure what to do ; how to handle a third all winter but will figure something out

I would recommend reposting your questions under a new title so hopefully you can get more suggestions. In my very limited experience, I have found that they do better with a buddy ( or more) about the same age. But there is a limited window of time ( others here can be more accurate as to the cut off age) that they will willingly accept a new friend. The younger, the better is all I know.

For my little guy, I’m just providing limbs and cage accessories, and playtime as much as I can allow. I’m currently monitoring his teeth and other issues to be certain he will be a candidate for release and, if he is, I may seek out a buddy for him , or another rehabber to overwinter him that has the room for him to play outside of a cage .

Hopefully others can help with suggestions.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

Mel1959 (11-26-2020)

Once the leaves fall the squirrels cannot build dreys. That would leave them looking for hollows in trees, but the good ones are usually all taken. Unless, they make their way into someone's attic, which usually isn't well received. Plus there is the need to bury a large and varied stockpile to get them through winter until plants start budding in the spring.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (11-26-2020)

i have two that are now 17 weeks old in a dbl CN in the corner of my deck. (against house and under eaves).

also has dbl roof, heavy plastic cover for inclement or windy weather that can be opened of course. their box is very large, with straw, poly fill and fleeces. The best box has an extra cover made from a moving blanket that cover it and allows access thru their porch. there is also another bucket of dry straw they can add to if they wish. They have things to climb on and a protected feeding station. if the temperature drops below freezing, i place an oil filled radiator next to them with a safe vented cover.
    it is also easy to bring them inside— but they seem happier outdoors as they were wild on i take and never allowed me to handle them… they were just too young to successfully release before winter.

my outside “release” cages are full protected with numerous boxes, an extra bale of straw inside and a small entry/exit portal. they get winter sun through a window wall that makes another big difference.