Thread: Overwintering alone concerns

Default Overwintering alone concerns

Hi, we are overwintering one sweet little squirrel girl. We rescued her at one or two weeks old, and she is now about 14 weeks. She has only known us, mainly me, and I'm so worried that she will not be able to thrive in the squirrel world when she is released. What can I do... will she be able to communicate with other squirrels? Should I try to find someone else who is overwintering so that our Squirrel Girl can be with another squirrel and learn to interact and have some "family" for release?

Default Re: Overwintering alone concerns

Chances are overwhelmingly good that she would not accept another squirrel at her age. Many folks have overwintered and successfully released a single squirrel. Once winter has passed and you put her in an outside release cage you will naturally begin to distance yourself from her. For the 2-4 weeks she’s in the release cage she’s going to hear all the sounds sights and smells of other squirrels. You will naturally be distancing yourself from her. When the time comes to release her she will probably be eager to go.

3. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (10-23-2020), Chirps (10-27-2020), Jesi (11-15-2020), RockyPops (10-23-2020), stepnstone (10-23-2020)

Default Re: Overwintering alone concerns

Quote Originally Posted by Jesi View Post
    Hi, we are overwintering one sweet little squirrel girl. We rescued her at one or two weeks old, and she is now about 14 weeks. She has only known us, mainly me, and I'm so worried that she will not be able to thrive in the squirrel world when she is released. What can I do... will she be able to communicate with other squirrels? Should I try to find someone else who is overwintering so that our Squirrel Girl can be with another squirrel and learn to interact and have some "family" for release?

It is always best, (not always possible) to have a cage mate to learn and interact with. Introducing two squirrels to share the same space is best done when young, once they get older it's like an invasion on their space and it's not going to happen. There are exceptions with some.
    Ive raised many singletons and know they can do just as well regardless of attachments. A squirrel's natural instincts are hard wired, once outside they seem to surface amazingly fast.
    There is an outside protocol called soft release that allows the squirrel time to get used to smells, sights, sounds, and the hierarchy among the senior squirrels. With a proper soft release then release, she will be ready to go and be the squirrel she's meant to be.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. 8 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Buddy (10-23-2020), Chirps (10-27-2020), Grinderhead (10-24-2020), Jesi (11-15-2020), Mel1959 (10-24-2020), Rock Monkey (10-25-2020), RockyPops (10-23-2020), SammysMom (10-24-2020)