Thread: squirrels and cigarettes

Unhappy squirrels and cigarettes

I was led to this site when I googled "can tobacco kill squirrels" but can't find the exact thread so I'm starting a new one. PLEASE EVERYBODY - do NOT leave cigs outside where squirrels can get them. A couple of nights ago I did this and have been crying all day. I've had a couple of squirrel buddies for a long time. They come to my window every day because they know I'll be right out with some food for them. I've watched them happily hopping and burying pieces of dried corn in my yard and they hang out with me on the porch coming to me for peanuts, and they frolic in my big tree and make me laugh. But because of my stupidity I haven't seen them for 2 days and I'm so so sorry and so very sad.
    I found the cigs the following morning. Chewed up all over the yard. I have not seen my buddies since then. Yesterday I was just hoping maybe they got sick and would return. Today I fear the worse has indeed occurred. What a horrible mistake I made. Please take care and don't leave tobacco outside where litter critters can get to it. Thanks for listening.

Default Re: squirrels and cigarettes

Hopefully they just shredded them as they are more prone to do.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Default Re: squirrels and cigarettes

Yes, usually they just shred things, looking to see if there is something inside worth eating.