Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible fall, or cat attack

Default Re: Possible fall, or cat attack

Quote Originally Posted by Sblaine View Post
    We stopped the ibuprofen the same night we finished the antibiotics, just to see if his mentation and level of activity would improve. It really hasn't. Today, he was at the front of the cage, so I opened it to take him out and once I picked him up, holy sh*t, he latched onto my finger with his teeth sunk in, and I couldn't get him off. After controlling the bleeding, I'm now sporting a nice big bandage on my middle finger with 3 different puncture sites.

He very slowly hobbled underneath my bed, while I ran to get something for the blood on my finger, so I had to get help from his other momma, and we had to push him out from under the bed with a board. He just fell onto his side at one point during this. We wrapped him up in a shirt, and gave him more ibuprofen. He was pretty limp at that point, dozing into sleep. Making noises but little ones of discomfort. It now seems that more than just his left arm is hurt, with the way he was moving or rather not moving. Such a struggle, and in little increments.

I've called my vet and another, here in Austin, and neither sees squirrels. They only suggest the wildlife rescue. I know they'll probably euthanize him in his condition. Is it time for that? Or do we keep fighting the good fight in hopes of his recovery?

Anything specific I need to do for these bites? I took ibuprofen for the pain and dang, it hurt! I have a high threshold for pain but man, it really hurt. I was surprised.

Many thanks for the locations in Houston. That's my hometown.
    He most definitely is not even close to done. Please don't think about that. Since he has made it this long(from 10/22/2020 when you first posted), it's been 9 days and he's still there which means the wounds weren't that severe and that he is healing.
    Healing will take a lot of time. So please be patient.
    From what I've read, he has obviously improved from his initial state which is good news.
    Wait and follow the advice of the experts here on this board and he'll be fine though it will take time and patience.

Sleeping a lot suggests that the squirrel is working to overcome an injury. That is how we all get if our immune system is working really hard fight something. Also, pain is nature's way of saying "Don't move that way." There may be broken bones that are healing. That can be a slow process, especially if the injury gets re-aggravated. It may be that moving very little is the only way to not cause pain. So, in my opinion, unless the pain is severe, pain meds can allow movement which is slowing the healing process.

I would suggest in the current state to continue to provide food and water, but refrain from handling the squirrel, unless it seeks you out.

How would you feel if somebody touched your broken arm?

If you are fearful, it will be fearful.

Believe it or not, it doing okay, all things considered.

DO NOT put him in a bigger cage. With your description of how he’s getting around he will likely hurt himself further. Something more is definitely going on. I am going to reach out to a member in San Antonio and try to locate a vet. Are you prepared to drive him wherever is necessary for him to be seen?

He bit because he felt threatened in his current incapacitated state and also due to pain. Keep the area clean with antibiotic salve and a bandage. I know, squirrel bites do hurt.

I have found a reputable squirrel knowledgeable vet located about 2 hrs away. The vet comes highly recommended by a member who used her for years. I think before you should even think about euthanasia you need to have a vet that loves and understands squirrels evaluate him. It would be tragic to end his life without that knowledge. He is clearly a fighter. I am going to send you the vet info in a private message.

I have sent you a private message with a highly recommended vet’s info. Please consider getting Wally in to see her.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

BCChins (11-01-2020)

Will you tell me which vets in Austin you’ve contacted? I have one in Austin that I intended to research for you and want to be sure it’s not one you had already contacted.

I actually have 3 vets in Austin I intend to call.

How’s your little guy doing?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12