Thread: Wild squirrel friend with injury

Default Wild squirrel friend with injury

Hi, my very special squirrel friend whom I have know for over 4 years (she has been a daily and frequent visitor) disappeared on Monday morning after a couple of visits. No sign of her on Tuesday. I was devastated. Then today she showed up but she is injured. I cannot see any wound on her, it appears to be spinal as her movements are labored and slow.

She usually jumps onto my doorstep and helps herself from a feeder just inside my doorway. She was still able to do that, but it took much more effort, and she took a walnut in shell, went outside and moved away under the hedge to eat. I wondered whether I should keep her inside and try to help in some way, I really did not know what to do, so when she came back I encouraged her to come in again and tried to close the door but that appeared to worry her as she quickly turned round and looked like she wanted to go out, so I quickly opened the door and she jumped out and waited for food, so I put out hazels, almonds, a cookie, but she did not want those. I gave her a pecan in shell and she took that and went under the hedge again. I heard her crack it but I could not see her from under the hedge. A few momenta later I went out to see if she was there and she had gone. She had also left half of the pecan, she had cracked it and taken a broken piece I think and left the rest.

I am terrified that she may not show up again. I was shocked to see her like that and had to act quickly but also to make sure she had food and not be scared away in that vulnerable state. Does anyone have any advice? I know I can only wait now until she shows up again. Does anyone have any positive, (or negative) experiences of wild squirrels with back injuries?

Default Re: Wild squirrel friend with injury

Having any type of injury makes them more vulnerable to predators. If you want to bring her in you need to plan it now for the next time you see her. Have a cage ready and a means of trapping her. She may just need a few days of r and r to recover. Once you have her inside and contained you will be able to evaluate her.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

stepnstone (10-21-2020)