Thread: Thinning fur on back? Please help! Pictures included!

Hybrid View

Default Thinning fur on back? Please help! Pictures included!

On the back of Sherbys neck there this patch of thinning fur (literally looks like a young baby birds fuzzy fur) But in the last two weeks days it seems to be moving down her back. Her skin appears normal, no dandruff etc. she’s indoors and is clean also lives a low stress life.

My squirrel has a good appetite and eats well! Henry’s healthy pet blocks lots of different veggies and some fruit and nuts) sits in the sun during the day has great energy. She’s 6 months old. I’m not sure if any of this info helps about her lifestyle but I sure hope it does!

It’s starting to get cold up here and her little back doesn’t have a lot of fur. Please help!

Name:  099199E2-4DB1-48D1-B9A0-069CA6A0584D.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  112.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  84.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  123.0 KB

Default Re: Thinning fur on back? Please help! Pictures included!

Is this molting? I thought it was usually in the spring summer? Even though she is inside I keep the windows open 24/7 so she has outside temperatures as she would in the wild.

Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in, but I'm in PA too, and I was noticing one of my very tame (almost obnoxious) wilds had thin areas. She gets right in my face so I can see very closely. It wasn't as drastic as your girl though. In about a week she had grown in the most beautiful silvery coat, with the red-brown highlights on back, top of feet, etc. Her mother has kept the same almost agouti-looking grey, but her coat's starting to look a bit thin now. If you haven't added any new branches that could have mites or something and she's not itchy I'd guess she's getting ready for winter. I guess just keep an eye on it and check back if something changes (gets worse, shows discomfort/irritation, redness, etc.)?

How do you keep windows open 24/7? THAT'S dedication! Are you overwintering?
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

Sherby (10-23-2020)

You can treat her with one drop of kitten/cat Revolution. It will take care of mites if that’s what it is. Revolution requires a Rx from a vet unless you purchase online from Joes Pet Meds in Australia.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Sherby (10-23-2020)

This is totally normal.

Squirrels grow two different coats through the year - summer and winter. But they only have one set of hair follicles. That means that as the winter coat begins to grow in, it physically pushes the hairs currently occupying those follicles out. That is what molting is. The same thing happens for the summer coat.

The winter coat is more complex than the summer. They have a soft, fluffy undercoat - think of it as their thermal underwear; and a longer coat on top, which would be their sweater or jacket. It takes a while for all of it to come in and you wind up with these thin spots.

This is all driven by day length, not temperature, so the same molt will happen regardless of if you keep your house a sweltering 80 degrees or sit and freeze at 60.

The molt in the spring, because they have so much more hair to lose, is the one that will leave you spitting out squirrel hair and grabbing the lint roller! While you are rolling your clothes, repeat to yourself, "This isn't bad. I could have a horse" because there are no words...

8. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Buddy (10-22-2020), Rock Monkey (10-20-2020), Sherby (10-23-2020), SugarMom (10-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    You can treat her with one drop of kitten/cat Revolution. It will take care of mites if that’s what it is. Revolution requires a Rx from a vet unless you purchase online from Joes Pet Meds in Australia.
    Ugh! I won’t be able to get the revolution stuff... know of anything else similar to that that is safe on squirrels? Thanks for the response!

Crittermom suggested it might be a normal seasonal molt. Maybe you should watch it for a week and see if it gets worse or better. Ivermectin is an alternative but it is much more potent and must be dosed with care. That’s why I suggested postponing dosing in case it’s not necessary.

Since she appears to tolerate being handled you can also give her a bath with blue Dawn dish detergent or even hypoallergenic baby bath/shampoo. This would also kill any mites.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Sherby (10-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in, but I'm in PA too, and I was noticing one of my very tame (almost obnoxious) wilds had thin areas. She gets right in my face so I can see very closely. It wasn't as drastic as your girl though. In about a week she had grown in the most beautiful silvery coat, with the red-brown highlights on back, top of feet, etc. Her mother has kept the same almost agouti-looking grey, but her coat's starting to look a bit thin now. If you haven't added any new branches that could have mites or something and she's not itchy I'd guess she's getting ready for winter. I guess just keep an eye on it and check back if something changes (gets worse, shows discomfort/irritation, redness, etc.)?

How do you keep windows open 24/7? THAT'S dedication! Are you overwintering?

Thanks for your response! Ay I’m from outside of Philly! Anyways, I did recently bring a log in maybe I didn’t sterilize it enough... (Hosing it down and putting it in oven at 250 for an hour) I can’t wait until her winter coat is all grown in cause right now it is like a silvery diaper accross her lower back/bottom area 😂

I keep the windows open more so for her entertainment and normal temperature changes thankfully I got a big blanket and a squirrel as a scarf. Sherby was found prime quarantine and none of the vets/shelters near would take her so I came here to figure out how to raise a squirrel. I didn’t think She would still be here. I’ll let her outside she plays in the trees and makes a nest but if I walk away she comes back so for now yes I’ll be overwintering her in my room and I know I’ll get crap for this but she’s pretty domesticated at 7 months old and enjoys other people. We will see.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Sherby:

Chirps (10-23-2020), Rock Monkey (10-23-2020)