Thread: Will just released young greys use existing tree nests the first day.

Default Will just released young greys use existing tree nests the first day.

I released three very healthy and excited greys yesterday, Angel, Jewel , and Elvis. Angel came back to the nest box on cage , but the other two did not. In the very large oak there is an existing leaves nest. Toward the end of day they were close to it. Is it normal for young to maybe use this nest the first night? Will check this morning to make sure they are all still in the tree. They all three stayed around and on the tree yesterday. You are right to say they need to be in the tree and not in the cage..Plan on feeding them thu the winter if they stay around.

Default Re: Will just released young greys use existing tree nests the first day.

Hi! If the nest was already there it must belong to someone. If they can get near it without being chased by the owner then maybe something happened to the owner and they've lucked into free digs. They will likely spread out and experiment with building their own. Are there no other squirrels around? Have you seen them interact with any? I'd expect them to be chased by the locals somewhat.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Default Re: Will just released young greys use existing tree nests the first day.

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    Hi! If the nest was already there it must belong to someone. If they can get near it without being chased by the owner then maybe something happened to the owner and they've lucked into free digs. They will likely spread out and experiment with building their own. Are there no other squirrels around? Have you seen them interact with any? I'd expect them to be chased by the locals somewhat.
    I think the nest is maybe from this spring. The oak is really big and the nest is also. Looks like one stayed in the nestbox on the crate and the other two stayed in this nest. I was out this morning before they were and i'm sure that's what happened. The all three eventually got together and are roaming from the tree some today. Thanks , for your reply and i'll just see what happens tonight. They appear to be doing great and having a good time exploring. There are several squirrels in the area , even collecting acrons in the same tree my babies are in. Mine are almost as big as those. Have not seen any reaction yet. No chasing anyway. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cash View Post
    I think the nest is maybe from this spring. The oak is really big and the nest is also. Looks like one stayed in the nestbox on the crate and the other two stayed in this nest. I was out this morning before they were and i'm sure that's what happened. The all three eventually got together and are roaming from the tree some today. Thanks , for your reply and i'll just see what happens tonight. They appear to be doing great and having a good time exploring. There are several squirrels in the area , even collecting acrons in the same tree my babies are in. Mine are almost as big as those. Have not seen any reaction yet. No chasing anyway. Thanks again.
    Not sure if the nest box you mention is the release cage or not. Ultimately, it needs to be put at least 20 ft. up a tree whose limbs are interconnected with other trees, preferably deciduous trees and should face south to get sun in the winter and the leaves should provide shade in the summer.

A squirrel will typically build multiple nests to have some in reserve in case one is blown out or there is a lurking predator.