Thread: New flyer baby. Paranoid squirrel mama. Baytril question

Default New flyer baby. Paranoid squirrel mama. Baytril question

Hi all. I'm new here. My dog was playing with a baby flyer last week and I've rescued him. He's doing well. I estimate he is 5-6 weeks old. Eyes open. Fully furred. Greasy look. lol. He's been taking the Esbilac formula well. Playing. Peeing. Pooping. I've been reading a lot on here and I'm so paranoid about aspiration pneumonia. Every now and then the formula comes out too fast no matter how careful I am and he spits and sputters. I've read how quickly a little one will go down if he gets AP. I'm worried if that were to ever become an issue I wouldn't be able to get the Baytril in time. I'm not sure if any of the vets around would treat a baby squirrel and I'm really worried that they might take him from me or alert the authorities. lol. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to have him or not.

Default Re: New flyer baby. Paranoid squirrel mama. Baytril question

First of all, the absolute LARGEST syringe you should be feeding him with is a 1cc, and a half-cc syringe is even better. They give you much better control of the flow of the formula than larger ones. Practice dispensing it a drop at a time without the flyer so you can try different ways of holding the syringe to give you more control.

The human version of baytril is a drug called Cipro and it is very commonly used for urinary tract infections in humans. Ask your friends and family members and see if you can find anyone with a pill left over. You will only need one.

If you learn to properly dispense the milk, you won't have a problem. If he sputters, grab him and turn him upside down - nose pointing to the floor and let gravity help you. If you suspect pneumonia - they stop eating and become lethargic - some here immediately for dosing help. We will need to know your squirrel's weight (you should have a gram scale - about $20 at Walmart in the kitchen area) and the size of the pill you have in milligrams.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Rock Monkey (10-17-2020)

Thank you. I have 1cc size and 3cc size. Just after a few uses they seem to get "sticky". I just received the miracle nipples yesterday and they do help the whole process. I try to go really slow, it just sticks sometimes. He weighs about 30 grams I think. He was a little wiggly on the scale. lol.

Does that weight (30g) sound about right for 6 weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by sraul View Post
    Thank you. I have 1cc size and 3cc size. Just after a few uses they seem to get "sticky". I just received the miracle nipples yesterday and they do help the whole process. I try to go really slow, it just sticks sometimes. He weighs about 30 grams I think. He was a little wiggly on the scale. lol.
    If they syringes stick, pull the plunger all the way out of the barrel and wipe the rubber plunger down with vegetable oil.

I'll try that. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by sraul View Post
    Thank you. I have 1cc size and 3cc size. Just after a few uses they seem to get "sticky".
    An o-ring syringe will likely have a smoother action than the other more commonly found varieties.

I am not sure which variety you have.

I see you’re in Florida. You do not have to worry about your baby being confiscated. The laws are not very strict here.

There are vets all over the state of Fl that will see squirrels. There are also a lot of rehabbers all over the state. If you are close to me I will gladly share some o ring syringes with you and some antibiotics. If I’m not close to you I may know someone who is and could help out with the same.

I am near Melbourne, which is about an hour east of a Orlando.

Thank you so much! That is really good to know. I received an O ring syringe when I ordered the miracle nipples and it makes such a difference!!! Much smoother feeding now.