Thread: Squirrels, Covid, the flu, and traveling with one.

Default Squirrels, Covid, the flu, and traveling with one.

Hey all...hope you're safe! So I have a 2 year old-ish NR who adores nuzzling with me. He kisses me, cuddles my neck, walks on my head, etc. I know there is nothing natural about one of them interacting with a human on that level, but aside from that....can/do these guys catch human cold/diseases/Covid? What kind of danger am I putting him in by allowing this activity? Finally, he NEVER goes outside....which is likely safest for him. But I feel bad about that AND his last owner says he used to love taking car rides. Is this safe if he's in a sturdy cage in a van? Or am I opening him up to catching colds via temp and/or bugs? Thanks for your help!!!!

Default Re: Squirrels, Covid, the flu, and traveling with one.

Hi! My first thought is why is he NR? Second thought is how would one know he likes/d car rides?

No idea about the Wuhan, although I just learned that mink can get it. So so far I've only heard about carnivores/omnivores getting it.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

He's NR because of too big a human imprint. A woman in the big city had him since a baby. She then couldn't handle him and turned him over to the local wildlife people. They tried releasing him and said it flopped, so they got stuck feeding/taking care of him. They're not in the business of spending lots on keeping animals and trusted his care with me long term. They took him for car rides as I mentioned in my post....said he loved it. I've never tried. Worried not only about Covid....also common colds. Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    Hi! My first thought is why is he NR? Second thought is how would one know he likes/d car rides?

No idea about the Wuhan, although I just learned that mink can get it. So so far I've only heard about carnivores/omnivores getting it.

As far as covid is concerned, I am guessing it is a no, for one reason. Oddly, the largest producer of mice and rats for labs happens to be here in Maine - and they were a customer of mine for many years (machinery related; nothing to do with the little mousies). In the very beginning of the pandemic I heard a piece on the news about how scientists at some university in the midwest had genetically altered mice to have the receptors that covid "hooks" into in the body in order for the virus to take hold. This had to be done because they simply did NOT have them unless they had been Frankenmoused - they couldn't catch covid and thus couldn't be used for research on it, and that those mice were on the way to Jackson Labs, the mouse producer, to be raised for use in vaccine production. So I am betting that their very close relatives, squirrels, likely lack the ability to naturally support the virus as well.

That said, I ALWAYS take precautions with my critters if I am sick - scrubbing hands, masking, and just not spending time with them when I am ill other than to very quickly take care of food and water.

I don't think I would take him out in the car, but not because he might catch something. My concern would be getting into an accident or any other thing that would bring the attention of the police to him. Other than my mother and the folks here at TSB, nobody knows about my "kids" and I plan on keeping it that way. I don't want to even think about what I would do if the authorities came to confiscate...

So keep him home and love him up!

5. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Mialouise (10-17-2020), Rock Monkey (10-17-2020), Squirreleesi (10-20-2020), stepnstone (10-17-2020), SugarMom (10-17-2020)

Thanks for this info! It's only my wife and I here, so if we should only handle him for food and water when we get sick....he'd have to stay in his cage for the duration of our sickness. It's a BIG cage, but still hope that doesn't happen. There's just no way to let him out and not have to handle him to not only get him back in but also...he's very clingy. If he were to go into the van, he'd also be in a huge cage. So not too worried about causing an accident, but...yes...he is our secret too. So do not want to alert people. I just feel bad that he does not get to see other places. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    As far as covid is concerned, I am guessing it is a no, for one reason. Oddly, the largest producer of mice and rats for labs happens to be here in Maine - and they were a customer of mine for many years (machinery related; nothing to do with the little mousies). In the very beginning of the pandemic I heard a piece on the news about how scientists at some university in the midwest had genetically altered mice to have the receptors that covid "hooks" into in the body in order for the virus to take hold. This had to be done because they simply did NOT have them unless they had been Frankenmoused - they couldn't catch covid and thus couldn't be used for research on it, and that those mice were on the way to Jackson Labs, the mouse producer, to be raised for use in vaccine production. So I am betting that their very close relatives, squirrels, likely lack the ability to naturally support the virus as well.

That said, I ALWAYS take precautions with my critters if I am sick - scrubbing hands, masking, and just not spending time with them when I am ill other than to very quickly take care of food and water.

I don't think I would take him out in the car, but not because he might catch something. My concern would be getting into an accident or any other thing that would bring the attention of the police to him. Other than my mother and the folks here at TSB, nobody knows about my "kids" and I plan on keeping it that way. I don't want to even think about what I would do if the authorities came to confiscate...

So keep him home and love him up!

Thumbs down Re: Squirrels, Covid, the flu, and traveling with one.

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post

"the Wuhan" ???! For the love!