Thread: yeast infection? urinary tract infection? HELP

Default yeast infection? urinary tract infection? HELP

Let me give you a quick overview. Found as a pinkie with multiple injuries from cat bites. Dosed with amoxicillin and clindamycin and did well. Paralyzed hind legs. Lost toes from both hind legs. The tail twitched a lot so tried prednisone X 10 days then Gabapentin for 10 days. Didn't help the paralysis so stopped, He was getting gas X and acidophilus during the use of all medication. Eventually stopped those also. He was doing fine...then he started to develop REALLY strong foul urine smell. I thought it was because he was getting older and peeing more. Now 8 weeks old. Now he has developed these white, skin tag type attachments around his wee wee. You cant see them when his hair is dry but when I bathe him 3-4 times a day you can see them when the hair is wet. He also has developed a white cluster at the end of his pee pee. Could he have a yeast infection this late after antibiotic use or could it be a urinary tract infection? I bathe him with only water 2 times a day to get the incontinent urine off his skin and with a mild baby shampoo 2 times a day. Any help would be so appreciated.Name:  20201013_234941.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  61.2 KB

Default Re: yeast infection? urinary tract infection? HELP

Quote Originally Posted by alana1957 View Post
    Let me give you a quick overview. Found as a pinkie with multiple injuries from cat bites. Dosed with amoxicillin and clindamycin and did well. Paralyzed hind legs. Lost toes from both hind legs. The tail twitched a lot so tried prednisone X 10 days then Gabapentin for 10 days. Didn't help the paralysis so stopped, He was getting gas X and acidophilus during the use of all medication. Eventually stopped those also. He was doing fine...then he started to develop REALLY strong foul urine smell. I thought it was because he was getting older and peeing more. Now 8 weeks old. Now he has developed these white, skin tag type attachments around his wee wee. You cant see them when his hair is dry but when I bathe him 3-4 times a day you can see them when the hair is wet. He also has developed a white cluster at the end of his pee pee. Could he have a yeast infection this late after antibiotic use or could it be a urinary tract infection? I bathe him with only water 2 times a day to get the incontinent urine off his skin and with a mild baby shampoo 2 times a day. Any help would be so appreciated.Name:  20201013_234941.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  61.2 KB
    With paralysis uti's are not that uncommon.
    Most uti's are caused by bacteria, but some are caused by fungi. The white you describe
    suggests Candida, a fungal infection. Some antibiotics can actually cause a fungal infection,
    some will feed an existing instead of eliminating.

A lotrimin or monistat cream could aid what your seeing that's external. To address the suspected
    uti and bacteria I would look for antibiotics such as Clavamox or Trimethoprim/Sulfamethoxazole.
    Clindamycin can be administered again but my understanding is it's slower acting and may need to
    be stacked with another ab for better results.

Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

alana1957 (10-16-2020), island rehabber (10-16-2020), Mel1959 (10-16-2020)

OK..this is what I have on hand,. Sent husband to buy some Monistat vag cream for the topical application of the yeast infection. For the UTI I have Clavacillin ( for dogs) 125mg tabs and Diflucan DS 800-160mg tabs. If the Clavacillan would work for the UTI, I would prefer to use it because he STILL has a "bump" on his spine from the old cat bite injury that goes up and diminishes then goes back up again so I think he still has some infection in there. I think Clavacillan ALSO treats abscesses doesn't it? He weighs 248 grams as of last night. I have prednisone 10mg I could use for the inflammation of the bump also if ya think it would help. I just hate that he's having to take meds again...he's had some much in the past...but cant leave this untreated... Thanks for any help with dosing.

Quote Originally Posted by alana1957 View Post
    OK..this is what I have on hand,. Sent husband to buy some Monistat vag cream for the topical application of the yeast infection. For the UTI I have Clavacillin ( for dogs) 125mg tabs and Diflucan DS 800-160mg tabs. If the Clavacillan would work for the UTI, I would prefer to use it because he STILL has a "bump" on his spine from the old cat bite injury that goes up and diminishes then goes back up again so I think he still has some infection in there. I think Clavacillan ALSO treats abscesses doesn't it? He weighs 248 grams as of last night. I have prednisone 10mg I could use for the inflammation of the bump also if ya think it would help. I just hate that he's having to take meds again...he's had some much in the past...but cant leave this untreated... Thanks for any help with dosing.
    Will send dosing for the Clavacillian and prednisone in a private message.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Mel1959 (10-16-2020)