Thread: I would like more natural food ideas

Default I would like more natural food ideas

Hey everyone - I would appreciate it if someone could help me with things from outside to feed my guys. I know apple (not sprayed), maple and oak. Pine trees but I think there’s a difference between the three and five needle ones and the cones? I think cherry like Japanese cherry. What other trees? Locust? Ginkgo? Will they eat bamboo? What about bushes? I have raspberry plants still growing - no fruit. Nettle? I give them fresh dandelion greens. I feel there is so much I’m missing. I’ve searched the site and I must not be using the right words because I end up with 300+ pages to search through. Ive searched the web and again, must not be using the correct terms because I just want a list of the good and what to avoid. I know about acorns.

Could any of you more senior and more knowledgeable people please create a list of wild flora? I’m in the NE - Delaware. I would greatly appreciate it.

Default Re: I would like more natural food ideas

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CrazyCatLady:

Buddy (10-14-2020), Mel1959 (10-14-2020), Mommasika (10-14-2020)

I have this prominently displayed on my refrigerator already for a year or so and on my phone when I go shopping. It doesn’t tell me enough about things outside in nature like all the different trees, bushes and low lying vegetation. I always read to give them as much natural as possible... so I’m just looking more more specific advice and guidance

Quote Originally Posted by Mommasika View Post
    I have this prominently displayed on my refrigerator already for a year or so and on my phone when I go shopping. It doesn’t tell me enough about things outside in nature like all the different trees, bushes and low lying vegetation. I always read to give them as much natural as possible... so I’m just looking more more specific advice and guidance
    It includes a list of different trees(magnolia, hickory, dogwood, etc.)plants(clover, dandelion etc.) and flowers(carnation, roses, daisies, etc) so I'm not sure what else you are looking for.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CrazyCatLady from:

stepnstone (10-15-2020)

Hi Mommasika!

Did you ever find more information about wild foods that are safe? I’m having the same dilemma, I would like to incorporate more wild foods into their diet but I’m not sure what is safe to give them. Specifically I picked some nettle while out on a walk but wanted to see if it was safe first.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mfnusz:

Buddy (04-22-2021), KCullen (05-30-2021)

Have you looked at the healthy diet listed in the squirrel nutrition section? It has a list of many natural foods that are safe for them.

I'm guessing you are having trouble knowing what to give your squirrel due to not knowing what certain wild plants are, or look like. I can almost guarantee you have Plantain in your yard or nearby. It grows over most of the US. It is the plant with the wide spade shaped leaves and tall stalks covered in little green seeds. My Trixie loves them. As for other stuff, google often will be able to show you an image of various plants if you search. I also use the google lens option on my android phone. I take a picture, then it searches the web for similar images and I can usually find out which plant it is that way.

Watch for neighbors cutting tree branches and snag a few fresh ones. Look for fresh buds on trees, or when clover is flowering, there are plenty of options out there, we just have to teach ourselves how to know what is good.

Mfnusz, I don't know what kinds of maples you have out there, but here the swamp maples are dropping their airplane-propeller seeds. It's actually kind of the end of the season for squirrels to be eating them, since they seem to prefer the green baby seeds to the mature ones that are dropping now.

Mommasika, if you're still following this thread at all, you're close to my neck of the woods, so your maples are probably about the same as mine. Your guys still might like the "mature" maple seeds if you can get them.

Next up, mulberries! Mine already have tiny green fruits starting to develop. They'll be ripe in June. All parts of a mulberry are edible. Not sure the leaves are desirable since my wilds don't bother with them that I ever see. The bark, especially the inner bark, should be very attractive to squirrels as it's sweet, but mine don't pig out on that either. But mulberry twigs/branches for chewing should be desirable.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

Mfnusz (03-06-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    Next up, mulberries! Mine already have tiny green fruits starting to develop. They'll be ripe in June. All parts of a mulberry are edible. Not sure the leaves are desirable since my wilds don't bother with them that I ever see. The bark, especially the inner bark, should be very attractive to squirrels as it's sweet, but mine don't pig out on that either. But mulberry twigs/branches for chewing should be desirable.
    Huh, in FL the mulberries have already fruited and are sad in the sun now! I wouldn't have thought of mulberries, but I will now! I give my Joe Red Mable branches, young Paper Mulberry, and pecan in addition to oak, citrus, and pear. I have added in occasional Magnolia branches, and know Crepe Myrtle to be safe for our rabbits, livestock, and rats to consume. I leave the leaves and branches about 3 dys (he just pees on them when they're dry), before swapping out new. Same schedule for his "linens," you know. like Mother Nature will

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    Huh, in FL the mulberries have already fruited and are sad in the sun now! I wouldn't have thought of mulberries, but I will now! I give my Joe Red Maple branches, young Paper Mulberry, and pecan in addition to oak, citrus, and pear. I have added in occasional Magnolia branches, and know Crepe Myrtle to be safe for our rabbits, livestock, and rats to consume. I leave the leaves and branches about 3 dys (he just pees on them when they're dry), before swapping out new. Same schedule for his "linens," you know. like Mother Nature will