Thread: Ripping at solids without ingesting

Default Ripping at solids without ingesting

Hi All

I already posted about Flo who was found in someone's yard on Sunday, quite inactive and bruised on the abdomen. Thanks to advice from Mel1959 she is hanging in there, eating, pooping, surviving. I have been feeding her Fox Valley 20/50 because she is eating it. She still seems very 'stiff' and is mostly unable to sit up or move much. Pinched her feet and she responds. She has righted herself on all fours a few times, but mostly just lies curled up, even when she is awake. On top of the Meloxicam suggested by Mel1959 I am also giving her Tums for possible MBD and it does seem to have a (very slow) effect.

However, I am offering her solids as she would have been on solids only in the wild. She is interested, but only in ripping it in pieces and spitting the pieces all over the show. Due to her current condition I have to hold the food for her, she cannot do so herself. I am not sure that she is actually ingesting ANY of the solids except a gulp or two of avocado. I have offered her healthy block, avocado, blueberries, grapes and she does the same with all of it. Is this 'normal' or am I doing something wrong?

Default Re: Ripping at solids without ingesting

If the injuries are bad, it is not unusual for appetite to be diminished. From the pictures it is likely that there are significant internal injuries.

So, most important is to be sure the squirrel has some hydration. Provide a shallow dish of water, not more than 1/8 deep or a water bottle.

You could try baby food with no sugar added. Or maybe cooked sweet potato or winter squash. The baby food will be the easiest to digest.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

IngridStrydom (10-14-2020)

Default Re: Ripping at solids without ingesting

Thank you Rock Monkey. I would not say that her appetite is poor as she is very keen on the formula. Also gave her a bit of almond butter this morning which she devoured. It's just the solids that she is ripping and spitting out.

I will try the baby food as suggested.