Thread: Red spot on leg

Default Red spot on leg

Here is a picture of Twiggy's back leg. Some of you may remember him from June when he had rear end paralysis. Since then, he no longer seems to have control of his bladder. As a result, the fur on the backs of his legs is always dirty and feels sticky. I combed him once and when I tried to pull the comb through the fur that was stuck together it pulled some fur out. I leave it be now and just try to wipe him down with a wet cloth. Two days ago I noticed he had a bald patch on one ankle and assumed he pulled the fur out himself while grooming. Yesterday the skin seemed really red. Today it looks like this. That spot in the middle might be a scab, but it feels smooth. He doesn't seem bothered by me touching it, but he doesn't seem to be using the leg as much as usual. His behavior is normal in every other way. Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Red spot on leg

That doesn’t look good. The spot in the middle looks like a hole. I’m sure it’s sore which is why he’s not using it. It doesn’t look infected with any yellow pus does it?

I hope others will look at the picture and have an opinion on what you should do.

In the meantime, get some betadine and dilute it with water so that it looks like strong tea. Wipe his leg with that mixture several times a day. You don’t have to rinse it off. When it dries it won’t be sticky.

Keep an eye on it and for any pus to develop in which case he would need an oral antibiotic.

I will direct a member who is an antibiotic guru to this thread so we can get her opinion.

Edit: I asked Hrt4sqrls to look at this thread and give an opinion. .

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

CrazyCatLady (10-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    That doesn’t look good. The spot in the middle looks like a hole. I’m sure it’s sore which is why he’s not using it. It doesn’t look infected with any yellow pus does it?

I hope others will look at the picture and have an opinion on what you should do.

In the meantime, get some betadine and dilute it with water so that it looks like strong tea. Wipe his leg with that mixture several times a day. You don’t have to rinse it off. When it dries it won’t be sticky.

Keep an eye on it and for any pus to develop in which case he would need an oral antibiotic.

I will direct a member who is an antibiotic guru to this thread so we can get her opinion.

Edit: I asked Hrt4sqrls to look at this thread and give an opinion. .
    Thank you so much Mel1959. I will definitely do as you suggest. There is no oozing of any kind. It's not warm to the touch either. It is less red today than yesterday and I didn't notice any kind of puncture yesterday, which is why I thought maybe he had pulled his fur out himself. After noticing the red center today, I don't know what to think.

Because of the location on a joint I think this would benefit from treatment with an antibiotic. I would suggest either Clavamox (Augmentin) or SMZ-TMP (Septra or Bactrim). It would probably benefit from daily wound cleansing with either dilute betadyne solution or at least sterile saline solution available in a spray can at Walgreens or other pharmacy.

We can dose it if you’re able to find an antibiotic.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Mel1959 (10-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Because of the location on a joint I think this would benefit from treatment with an antibiotic. I would suggest either Clavamox (Augmentin) or SMZ-TMP (Septra or Bactrim). It would probably benefit from daily wound cleansing with either dilute betadyne solution or at least sterile saline solution available in a spray can at Walgreens or other pharmacy.

We can dose it if you’re able to find an antibiotic.
    I believe I have both of those antibiotics. I will have to hunt them both tomorrow(every normal person in my house is sleeping). I will message you with the mgs. Thank you.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CrazyCatLady:

HRT4SQRLS (10-14-2020), Mel1959 (10-14-2020)

I am still waiting to find out the appropriate dosage for Twiggy. I've not gotten a response yet to the private message I sent. If someone can help, I would really appreciate it. Twiggy weighs 450 grams and I have SMZ/TMP 800-160.

Give me a few mins to work this up and will send dosing in a pm.

> Pm sent
    Last edited by stepnstone; 10-15-2020 at 12:09 AM.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

CrazyCatLady (10-14-2020), HRT4SQRLS (10-15-2020), Mel1959 (10-15-2020)

Hello all! So I have been giving Twiggy the antibiotic and putting diluted iodine on his leg. Yesterday I noticed when he walks on the floor, he drags his foot, but uses it when climbing or hopping around, although not to the extent he normally would. This morning he was back to playing. Running up and down his rug and wrestling on the floor, just being his usual self. Now he isn't using the leg as much as this morning. I guess he wore it out and it's time to rest. His behavior suggests he feels better but the pictures I take look awful to me. There is no weeping of the sore. Yesterday it had a crater appearance and the skin around the crater looked a little puffy. Not sure if that's deceptive puffiness from the crater or the angle he's holding his leg at. If I compare his two ankles, they appear to be the same size, no noticeable swelling. The picture on the right is from yesterday and the left is from today. I have a lot of pictures if you think another would be helpful. I'm trying to get the same angle everytime for comparison. Twiggy was much more interested in playing today than having his picture taken.

I think you need to wait another day and see how it looks tomorrow. I’m no expert, but it doesn’t look bad or inflamed like there’s infection starting. The fact that he appears to be feeling better is a good sign!

Looking at the pictures again, the one from today looks like the wound is less deep.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

CrazyCatLady (10-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I think you need to wait another day and see how it looks tomorrow.

One needs an antibiotic to be running full circle in the body before expecting any real results.
    I always go by a 72 hour rule. Although I've seen some results come sooner, if it's going to
    work waiting 72 hours to see results hasn't failed me yet.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

CrazyCatLady (10-16-2020), Mel1959 (10-16-2020)

Thank you Mel1959 and stepnstone for taking a look. I just worry and wanted to make sure it doesn't appear worse to anyone else. I will give it another day or two before I start freaking out and update when he's healed.
    BTW Mel1959, I managed to score some mixed blocks from Henry's. They will be here tomorrow. Yay!

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CrazyCatLady from:

Mel1959 (10-16-2020)

YAY!!

This is exactly the same thing that happened to my boy Mister P. His was on one of his front forearms. I noticed him licking at something and lo and behold, it looked almost like someone had taken a scoop out of his arm with the world's smallest melon baller. I do not know for sure what happened but my suspicion is that t was something minor like an ingrown hair that formed a head like a pimple that was then messed with (it likely itched) until it burst on it's own. It was well covered with fur and I may not have even noticed it if I hadn't seen him licking at it.

REALLY push the dilute betadyne - I was wiping down P's sore three times a day, and once I began to do that it immediately started to heal. The betadyne obviously made the itching go away because he stopped messing with it.

21. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

CrazyCatLady (10-16-2020), Mel1959 (10-16-2020), Rock Monkey (10-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    This is exactly the same thing that happened to my boy Mister P. His was on one of his front forearms. I noticed him licking at something and lo and behold, it looked almost like someone had taken a scoop out of his arm with the world's smallest melon baller. I do not know for sure what happened but my suspicion is that t was something minor like an ingrown hair that formed a head like a pimple that was then messed with (it likely itched) until it burst on it's own. It was well covered with fur and I may not have even noticed it if I hadn't seen him licking at it.

REALLY push the dilute betadyne - I was wiping down P's sore three times a day, and once I began to do that it immediately started to heal. The betadyne obviously made the itching go away because he stopped messing with it.
    Mister P, that's what I would have named Twiggy if I'd known we were going to have bladder issues
    Thank you for sharing. It makes me feel better. I hope Twiggy is as lucky as Mister P.

I just wanted to give an update on Twiggy because I hate when people leave you hanging. Attached are two photos. One from today and one a couple of days ago. His leg has appeared to look the same for the last 4 days. No redness, and he runs around so much it's hard to get any pictures. It seems as if he's using his leg just as much as before this happened. I'm guessing it will take awhile for the crater to go away. That is the only thing visible now. I will continue to keep a close eye on it to watch for any changes.
    Many thanks to Mel1959, HRT4SQRLS and Stepnstone for your help. Please let me know if I should be doing anything else.

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CrazyCatLady:

Mel1959 (10-23-2020), stepnstone (10-23-2020)

In the top picture it still looks wet?
    If that's the case I would still continue to address it with the dilute betadyne solution.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

CrazyCatLady (10-23-2020), Mel1959 (10-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    In the top picture it still looks wet?
    If that's the case I would still continue to address it with the dilute betadyne solution.
    I have to take pictures to even see that. It looks dry with the naked eye, but I will certainly keep applying the betadyne. Not his favorite thing, but blowing on it afterwards seems to earn his forgiveness. Thank you.

28. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CrazyCatLady:

Mel1959 (10-23-2020), stepnstone (10-23-2020)

It looks so much better.

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

CrazyCatLady (10-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
    It looks dry with the naked eye, but I will certainly keep applying the betadyne. Not his favorite thing, but blowing on it afterwards seems to earn his forgiveness. Thank you.
    I think he might be fibbing. I worked in the yard this week and got a nasty infection on my leg from an insect bite. It didn’t want it to get worse so I started blotting it several times a day with provolone iodine (Betadyne) straight from the bottle (not diluted). It didn’t burn at all. It stopped the infection from progressing and is much better now.

32. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

CrazyCatLady (10-24-2020), stepnstone (10-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I think he might be fibbing. I worked in the yard this week and got a nasty infection on my leg from an insect bite. It didn’t want it to get worse so I started blotting it several times a day with provolone iodine (Betadyne) straight from the bottle (not diluted). It didn’t burn at all. It stopped the infection from progressing and is much better now.
    Good to know! He acts like I'm trying to rip his leg.