Thread: Georgie has lost his mind at 16 weeks

Default Georgie has lost his mind at 16 weeks

I read an older post on here that said squirrels loose their minds at 16 to 18 weeks but that it doesnt last. My question is, on average how long does this kooky phase last?

Default Re: Georgie has lost his mind at 16 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiesMom View Post
    I read an older post on here that said squirrels loose their minds at 16 to 18 weeks but that it doesnt last. My question is, on average how long does this kooky phase last?
    A squirrel's number one job is not to be eaten. Everything else is irrelevant if job number one is not taken care of.

Toward that end, squirrels are hypervigilant with an impressive array of senses. They also monitor the responses and behavior of the other creatures in their environment. If there is any possibility of danger, they leave the scene as quickly and erratically as possible and seek cover.

They have amazingly fast reaction times and speed. Part of growing up is practicing escape and evasion. Moving unpredictably is an essential advantage, making them a hard target for a predator. They have to worry about a wide variety of threats.

They will jump straight up in the air and change direction in the air and hit the ground running as fast as possible.

They utilize parkour moves, bouncing off objects and changing direction erratically.

They roll onto their backs and engage an object or sibling with all four sets of claws and teeth and then sprint away when an opportunity presents.

Such practice should not be criticized or reprimanded. It is an essential life skill. An oblivious squirrel is a dead squirrel.

Also, the older they get the more they want to be out leaping from limb to limb and the more unhappy they become if their mobility is restricted.

3. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

BCChins (10-13-2020), Buddy (10-13-2020), island rehabber (10-14-2020), lukaslolamaus (10-15-2020), RockyPops (10-14-2020)

Thanks for the reply. I'm aware of all you said however I was asking about a post that said they lose their minds between 16 and 18 weeks but that the phase doesn't last.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to GeorgiesMom:

RockyPops (10-14-2020), stepnstone (10-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiesMom View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I'm aware of all you said however I was asking about a post that said they lose their minds between 16 and 18 weeks but that the phase doesn't last.
    Can you be more specific about what you mean by losing their mind?

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

island rehabber (10-14-2020), RockyPops (10-14-2020)

I don't remember reading that phrase here, and I've been around since the Bush administration . Wonder what they meant and in what context?
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

9. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

lukaslolamaus (10-15-2020), Mel1959 (10-14-2020), Rock Monkey (10-15-2020), RockyPops (10-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Can you be more specific about what you mean by losing their mind?
    No.... it's something that I read on here that I wanted more information about.

[QUOTE=island rehabber;1323556]I don't remember reading that phrase here, and I've been around since the Bush administration . Wonder what they meant and in what context?[/QUOTE

I read it on here in a post in the last couple of weeks but I don't know how old the post was. I believe the person who said it was responding to someone with a baby squirrel.