Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teklad

Default Re: Teklad

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Yes. It's the good news and the bad news. The bad news is that Teklad is actually a lab rat block, so it was developed to feed those poor lil ratties used in testing laboratories...

The GOOD news is because they are used for such testing, they "care" about the rats having perfect nutrition to start with. Therefore the blocks are of a very high quality. Wouldn't it be nice if companies developed rodent blocks simply because they wanted healthy rodents who would live free? *sigh* dreaming again.....

(BTW of course there are the wonderful Henry's Healthy Blocks, but those are a supplement for temporarily or permanently captive squirrels, NOT a staple food to be given freely all day long, as the Teklad blocks are meant to be. You all know that, right? Phew. )

So are using teklad blocks good for making booballs and using them in place of Henry's blocks along with veggies good? My 5 yr old has MBD and getting her to take calcium has been a struggle so I started making boo balls and mixing her extra calcium in them. She eats Henry's blocks also but not all the time. She is and always has been the most picky squirrel I've ever seen. Some days she wont eat her veggies or blocks it's been a struggle and why she now has MBD. She is also a NR.

I also have 2 babies that will be released this coming spring and they love booballs I make using the teklad.
    I have been adding more teklad and cutting back on the nuts each time I make boo balls so they are getting used to more of the teklad flavor, and they will eat some veggies.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
    Boo balls
    Option 1: Uncooked

If your squirrel will not eat rodent block no matter the brand or* coating, try making Boo Balls.*

The Boo Ball recipe was originally posted on the Squirrel Board’s Nutrition Forum and was found
    to work well during weaning and for squirrels with teeth issues because of its soft texture.*

Ingredients

50 grams rodent block

50 grams powdered Fox Valley Day One Formula for Squirrels (either 32/40 or 20/50)

50 grams nuts, such as walnuts, pecans, or hazelnuts.

20 grams "organic" coconut oil (melted until liquid)

1 jar (approximately 100 grams) of fruit baby food (such as apples or plums), organic preferred

The squirrel board recommends adding a probiotic (beneficial bacteria) such as 3 capsules of multidophilus*

If you are unable to find this, substitute 1 capsule of acidophilus.

In a food processor, grind rodent block until its the consistency of a fine powder.* Grind nuts as finely as possible without it becoming nut butter.* Heat coconut oil until its a liquid consistency.* Warming the baby food also helps it to mix.

Combine the powdered rodent block, Fox Valley formula, nuts and acidophilus. Mix the organic baby food fruit* and coconut oil in to your dry ingredients until well blended.

Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least* 5 hours or overnight until mixture is set (the consistency of cookie dough).*

Once you are ready to serve, take out about a 1/2 tsp (5 grams) of the mixture and roll is in your hands into a small ball.**

Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

Recommendation: Vary the type of nut you use to keep the squirrel interested.

Amount: 3-4 balls or as much as will be consumed in a day.

Pros: Nutritionally complete.* Soft for young, old and squirrels with teeth issues. Probiotic

Helps with intestinal issues.

Cons: More time consuming and expensive to make. Have to buy some ingredients online,

Such as the Fox Valley DayOne Formula for Squirrels

Option 2: Cooked
    Some squirrels prefer a more crunchy texture in their boo ballsk. Follow the steps above (with the*

Exception of the pro-biotic, which you may sprinkle on after baking since heat kills the active cultures).

After letting the mixture set overnight, use a lightly greased rolling pin to roll the dough into a flat sheet 1/4 to 1/3 inch thick.* Bake 250 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour.** Let cool for 10 minutes and use a pizza cutter or knife to cut into small squares. After completely cooled, sprinkle the multidophilus, acidophilus or other probiotic over the cookies if desired or place in bag and gently shake until each block is lightly coated.** Store in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks or place in the freezer for longer shelf life.

I believe if you search boo balls on TSB, you'll find some interesting variations.
    This is the recipe I use and I have been adding more teklad and less nuts for the babies who will be released in spring , it's one way for me to get them used to the teklad flavor.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to bednarkim77 from:

Buddy (10-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by bednarkim77 View Post
    So are using teklad blocks good for making booballs and using them in place of Henry's blocks along with veggies good? My 5 yr old has MBD and getting her to take calcium has been a struggle so I started making boo balls and mixing her extra calcium in them. She eats Henry's blocks also but not all the time. She is and always has been the most picky squirrel I've ever seen. Some days she wont eat her veggies or blocks it's been a struggle and why she now has MBD. She is also a NR.

I also have 2 babies that will be released this coming spring and they love booballs I make using the teklad.
    I have been adding more teklad and cutting back on the nuts each time I make boo balls so they are getting used to more of the teklad flavor, and they will eat some veggies.
    Yes, Teklad is what I use for my boo balls. All the wilds ear them and it makes me feel good to know they’re getting some decent nutrition.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Buddy (10-19-2020)

Thank you all!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

I have my 1+ year old on teklad 2014 for her main nutrition. I add veggies and acorns and occasionally a peanut, cashew, etc. Do I need to add any more calcium? Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Kbross View Post
    I have my 1+ year old on teklad 2014 for her main nutrition. I add veggies and acorns and occasionally a peanut, cashew, etc. Do I need to add any more calcium? Thank you very much!
    Watch them acorns. Have you been following the threads where acorns and their hazards are discussed?
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

TubeDriver (12-12-2020)

No you don’t need extra calcium. Teklad is 100% nutrition.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

TubeDriver (12-12-2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12