Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teklad

Default Teklad

Does teklad have everything a gray squirrel needs in it? I've started making booballs and the recipe I use calls for rodent block, nuts, coconut oil , baby food fruit and fox valley 20 50 and 3 capsules of multidolphilus.
    Should i be adding anything else? Also they get fresh veggies and once in a while some fruit but not daily.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to bednarkim77 from:

Clare (10-17-2020)

Default Re: Teklad

Also its teklad 2018

Teklad is good, healthy blocks
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

bednarkim77 (10-12-2020)

I just placed my order for teklad 2018 on Amazon.
    I use them by crushing and adding either natural apple sauce or YoBaby yogurt to make my own blocks, I put them in freezer then give frozen.
    Sometimes my kids will eat the block right out of bag, if not I go to the freezer.
    My Conker doesn't have his top insissors but can eat the reconstructed frozen block which melts fairly quick.
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Charley Chuckles:

bednarkim77 (10-12-2020), island rehabber (10-12-2020)

I used Zupreem monkey chow for the longest time but had very little success getting all my babies in a given season to eat them. After I switched toTeklad 2018 last year I got so happy -- everyone loves them and they are so economical on Ebay! They have no fish oil or fishy odor like the Mazuri's do, and they are not almost all corn like the monkey chow.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

bednarkim77 (10-13-2020), Clare (10-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    I used Zupreem monkey chow for the longest time but had very little success getting all my babies in a given season to eat them. After I switched toTeklad 2018 last year I got so happy -- everyone loves them and they are so economical on Ebay! They have no fish oil or fishy odor like the Mazuri's do, and they are not almost all corn like the monkey chow.
    Patti turned me onto the Teklad 2018 some time ago and I've used it every since 👍
    My kids seem to favor it🤗
    I've always ordered from Amazon, I'm going to check out eBay👍
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

*Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Charley Chuckles:

bednarkim77 (10-13-2020), island rehabber (10-16-2020)

Another place to get Teklad block is from Wee Companions online. They only ship on Saturday and Wednesday’s. Their price per pound is $1.25, but the shipping drives up the cost. If you happen to be within driving distance from where Wee Companions is located you can pick it up at their place. They are a rat rescue place. I normally shop for the best price, including the shipping, wherever it might be.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

bednarkim77 (10-13-2020)

So teklad 2018 has everything they need in it ?

Quote Originally Posted by bednarkim77 View Post
    I believe it does👍

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

bednarkim77 (10-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by bednarkim77 View Post
    Yes. It's the good news and the bad news. The bad news is that Teklad is actually a lab rat block, so it was developed to feed those poor lil ratties used in testing laboratories...

The GOOD news is because they are used for such testing, they "care" about the rats having perfect nutrition to start with. Therefore the blocks are of a very high quality. Wouldn't it be nice if companies developed rodent blocks simply because they wanted healthy rodents who would live free? *sigh* dreaming again.....

(BTW of course there are the wonderful Henry's Healthy Blocks, but those are a supplement for temporarily or permanently captive squirrels, NOT a staple food to be given freely all day long, as the Teklad blocks are meant to be. You all know that, right? Phew. )
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

bednarkim77 (10-18-2020), Buddy (10-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Yes. It's the good news and the bad news. The bad news is that Teklad is actually a lab rat block, so it was developed to feed those poor lil ratties used in testing laboratories...

The GOOD news is because they are used for such testing, they "care" about the rats having perfect nutrition to start with. Therefore the blocks are of a very high quality. Wouldn't it be nice if companies developed rodent blocks simply because they wanted healthy rodents who would live free? *sigh* dreaming again.....

(BTW of course there are the wonderful Henry's Healthy Blocks, but those are a supplement for temporarily or permanently captive squirrels, NOT a staple food to be given freely all day long, as the Teklad blocks are meant to be. You all know that, right? Phew. )
    No, I didn't know About the lab rat part😕
    But like you say the good news is it's a healthy diet👍
    I make my version of boo balls for my kids with them😉

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

bednarkim77 (10-18-2020)

I use them for boo balls too.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

bednarkim77 (10-18-2020)

Hi! What are these "boo balls"? Is there a recipe for it?
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Been using Teklad 2018 for years. It is the stable of my mice. I use Henry's to supplement as special treats. Teklad is designed as a complete dietary replacement, in theory it is all you need. However, I highly recommend you provide fresh veggies daily as well. My little ones get Teklad blocks daily, fresh veggies each evening and bits of Henrys and almonds as treats.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

bednarkim77 (10-18-2020), Buddy (10-16-2020)

Thanks! I thought Henry's blocks are supposed to be the main food/nutrition for them. Yesterday, I ordered 3 more packages from Henry's. They are expensive!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

bednarkim77 (10-18-2020)

Henry's are really ultra high quality, people could probably eat them just fine (not really joking here). But they are expensive. If cost is not an issue, Henry's plus daily veggies is the best diet IMHO. If your budget can't handle this, Teklad with daily veggies would be second choice. Henry's can also be added as treats since they taste much better than Teklad.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Thanks! I thought Henry's blocks are supposed to be the main food/nutrition for them. Yesterday, I ordered 3 more packages from Henry's. They are expensive!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

29. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

bednarkim77 (10-18-2020), Buddy (10-17-2020)

The problem with Teklad blocks is that if you start your squirrel on Henrys it’s much harder to get them to accept Teklad because they don’t taste as good. You can grind the Teklad and add some other ingredients to make them into boo balls which then makes it tastier and still probably more cost effective than a Henrys.

I provide boo balls to my wilds and unlimited amounts to any I’m raising, and give Henrys only once in awhile. The same for my flyer.

31. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

bednarkim77 (10-18-2020), Buddy (10-17-2020)

Got it! Thank you both! Great to know!

33. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

bednarkim77 (10-18-2020)

One more... where can I find a recipe for boo balls?

One more... where can I find a recipe for boo balls?
    Boo balls
    Option 1: Uncooked

If your squirrel will not eat rodent block no matter the brand or* coating, try making Boo Balls.*

The Boo Ball recipe was originally posted on the Squirrel Board’s Nutrition Forum and was found
    to work well during weaning and for squirrels with teeth issues because of its soft texture.*

Ingredients

50 grams rodent block

50 grams powdered Fox Valley Day One Formula for Squirrels (either 32/40 or 20/50)

50 grams nuts, such as walnuts, pecans, or hazelnuts.

20 grams "organic" coconut oil (melted until liquid)

1 jar (approximately 100 grams) of fruit baby food (such as apples or plums), organic preferred

The squirrel board recommends adding a probiotic (beneficial bacteria) such as 3 capsules of multidophilus*

If you are unable to find this, substitute 1 capsule of acidophilus.

In a food processor, grind rodent block until its the consistency of a fine powder.* Grind nuts as finely as possible without it becoming nut butter.* Heat coconut oil until its a liquid consistency.* Warming the baby food also helps it to mix.

Combine the powdered rodent block, Fox Valley formula, nuts and acidophilus. Mix the organic baby food fruit* and coconut oil in to your dry ingredients until well blended.

Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least* 5 hours or overnight until mixture is set (the consistency of cookie dough).*

Once you are ready to serve, take out about a 1/2 tsp (5 grams) of the mixture and roll is in your hands into a small ball.**

Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

Recommendation: Vary the type of nut you use to keep the squirrel interested.

Amount: 3-4 balls or as much as will be consumed in a day.

Pros: Nutritionally complete.* Soft for young, old and squirrels with teeth issues. Probiotic

Helps with intestinal issues.

Cons: More time consuming and expensive to make. Have to buy some ingredients online,

Such as the Fox Valley DayOne Formula for Squirrels

Option 2: Cooked
    Some squirrels prefer a more crunchy texture in their boo ballsk. Follow the steps above (with the*

Exception of the pro-biotic, which you may sprinkle on after baking since heat kills the active cultures).

After letting the mixture set overnight, use a lightly greased rolling pin to roll the dough into a flat sheet 1/4 to 1/3 inch thick.* Bake 250 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour.** Let cool for 10 minutes and use a pizza cutter or knife to cut into small squares. After completely cooled, sprinkle the multidophilus, acidophilus or other probiotic over the cookies if desired or place in bag and gently shake until each block is lightly coated.** Store in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks or place in the freezer for longer shelf life.

I believe if you search boo balls on TSB, you'll find some interesting variations.

36. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CrazyCatLady:

bednarkim77 (10-18-2020), Buddy (10-19-2020), Syd and Squeegee (11-08-2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast