Thread: Trouble Urinating

Default Trouble Urinating

Hi everybody. It's been a while, but I am back to get some input on what is happening with my Neptune. She just had her birthday this month and is now 1 years old. Before this issue she's been a happy, energetic, and loving squirrel. Six days ago I was out with her in her outdoor enclosure and I noticed it was taking a long time for her to urinate. When I looked under her she was making tiny drops while her vagina kind of pulsated, for lack of a better term. I thought UTI and began her on Baytril. There was no improvement, we thought maybe it was so bad it is taking a while for the AB to work. It seemed to get more difficult 2 days ago, so I started prednisolne. She's had 3 doses as of this morning. I take her out to her outdoor enclosure early every morning and I get the chance to observe her bathroom habits, and today she still took a long time to pee but she produced a lot more than in the days before, but it is only the slightest of improvements. No trouble defecating. Eats like a horse. Seems comfortable until she pee's, then she'll move a little a attempt to do more. She'll do this several times. Kind of like relaxing to ease the burning with a UTI after going pee. Anyone who's had a UTI will know what I mean. I have spent hours scouring for causes and cures, and spend my free time worrying and I just don't know what else to do. Does anyone have any thoughts on my next move? I'll be offline for a couple of hours. Thank you everyone.

Default Re: Trouble Urinating

Hi Bradley, I sent you a detailed email. I wanted to make sure you saw it. I believe Neptune might be in heat. The straining to pee night indeed be a UTI or it might be inflammation associated with an estrus cycle OR even both. Either way, treating for UTI is a good idea because she clearly is having problems. Hopefully this will resolve as the cycle passes but if it doesnít you have to consider pyometritis, an infection of the uterus. In that case I would recommend a visit to Dr Emerson. Itís more complicated than a normal estrus cycle and would need professional help. Sometimes if severe enough, spaying is needed to end this recurrent problem.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Shipwrekt29 (10-14-2020)

Default Re: Trouble Urinating

Thank you so much HRT4SQRLS. It was wonderful talking with you!