Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help!!! Baby NOT Eating Now after Antibiotics

Default Re: Need Help!!! Baby NOT Eating Now after Antibiotics

When you say he won’t eat anything, what does that mean?
    Is he refusing formula? Has he been eating any solid food? Any nuts?

I don’t think so? That’s why I’m not sure what’s wrong? Some of the other symptoms fit which is why I was wondering
    Attached Images Attached Images   

What was the dose of Baytril? He might have an upset stomach from the Baytril.

I don’t have enough information to determine what’s wrong. He doesn’t look bloated. You need to get hydration into the baby even if it’s one drop at a time. The drops add up. I would also hold this baby against my chest. Sometimes warm contact with a heart beat is enough to make them feel safe and fight.

There is a safe vet in East Hillsborough county called Care Animal Hospital on Bloomingdale Avenue.
    I have taken squirrels there before. They are 100% safe. They don’t ask any questions as far as if you are licensed or whatever.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Mialouise (10-12-2020), Squirrely mom (10-11-2020)

You never said what formula the baby was on. Just so you know, you are safe here. We are not here to judge anyone. We just want to help.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Squirrely mom (10-11-2020)

Baytril dosage at 10mg I’ve been giving him .05 ml a day. I was giving him infant ibuprofen .02 ml a day for the first couple of days then I stopped. I was told not to exceed 4 days of that. I haven’t given him his antibiotic today because I’m so worried that’s what’s making him sick or if it makes him worse. I do think the Baytril has upset his stomach which is why I was giving him a little ibuprofen to try and help make him comfortable so he would eat and it seemed to work but now he is just so sad. I wish I could give him more to help make him comfortable but I don’t want to overdo it.

I was feeding him goatmilk/yogurt with a little bit of Fox Valley mixed because he doesn’t like the Fox formula alone. I also started him on Henry Blocks which he would kinda nibble on. He has tried to eat some of his block and walnut today and seemed interested in a little bit of formula just now. He drank .5ccs at 11:00 so that’s an improvement! He actually came up to me! He is sleeping now so I hope with the hydration today it will help him get through this. My poor baby 😢

I just want to thank everyone who is on here and helps out of the goodness of your hearts. It truly is a hard job and you get so attached. I’m just rambling now because I practically stayed up all night (basically the whole week) watching him and trying to get liquid in him. But TRULY!!! YOU ALL ARE AMAZING 🥰

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirrely mom from:

Mialouise (10-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrely mom View Post
    I just want to thank everyone who is on here and helps out of the goodness of your hearts. It truly is a hard job and you get so attached. I’m just rambling now because I practically stayed up all night (basically the whole week) watching him and trying to get liquid in him. But TRULY!!! YOU ALL ARE AMAZING 🥰
    There is just something truly MAGICAL about squirrels, they grab our hearts and they never let go 💗
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

I know! I had no idea til this little guy 🥰

As Heart for Squirrels said snuggling with him can help a lot. It provides body heat, but just as important it provides contact. At this age they will spend pretty much their whole day snuggling with siblings and mom. He needs not to feel alone or abandoned. That contact will help a lot with will to live and boosting the immune system.

If there are respiratory issues then keeping him upright, head above chest, will also help him breathe more easily.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    He might have an upset stomach from the Baytril.
    I checked and rechecked this calculation several times, ab was dosed correctly for the weight given.

As for upset stomach I personally question the use of molasses used in hydration fluid in place of sugar.
    We use molasses on the gums when necessary to raise blood sugar levels. I don't know who started this
    on the board, it tastes terrible in my opinion and I disagree with it being used as part of hydration fluid.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

I was thinking so but I got the recipe from Henry’s Pets so I thought it would be safe. He does not like it one bit. I will try the sugar next time. I have organic cane sugar? Is that ok to use? Or Honey?

I noticed he is also grinding his teeth a lot? Could it be a tooth or ear irritation?

Unhappy Re: Need Help!!! Baby NOT Eating Now after Antibiotics

This morning I noticed he would scratch is left ear with his foot and then lick it? I thought it was maybe just a way of cleaning but could it be more? Just trying to bring up anything I can think of in his behavior that’s changed.

I was thinking so but I got the recipe from Henry’s Pets so I thought it would be safe. He does not like it one bit. I will try the sugar next time. I have organic cane sugar? Is that ok to use? Or Honey?
    Henry's is a good source of information, I'm not suggesting it's not safe.
    Organic cane sugar would be fine, honey in water also seems to be favorable.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Ok but maybe he would do better on the sugar water. I will try that. I’ve been managing to get him to drink diluted apple juice by just dropping on his mouth one drop at a time most times so hopefully I can get enough in him to hydrate him

Yay!!! I just got some poopy!!!! I’m hoping that’s a good sign! I know it doesn’t look normal but it’s an improvement I think! I’m hoping it’s so dark because of the molasses but the stringy sticky has me concerned. Any ideas what might have caused it?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirrely mom from:

RockyPops (10-11-2020)

Any ideas what might have caused it?
    That's great news.

Oftentimes medications can upset the digestive system, particularly antibiotics. A little bit of plain, whole milk Greek yogurt can help restore the digestive bacteria.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Squirrely mom (10-12-2020)

Given the brush with AP you may find reviewing the following video helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLjR...relsandmorellc

How is your little guy doing?

The goats milk recipe formula is not intended to be a long term solution for formula feeding. It doesn’t contain nearly enough nutrients or calories to sustain for a long period of time. You should be gradually increasing the amount of mixed Fox Valley into the mixed goats milk formula to get him transitioned to 100% Fox Valley.

When they don’t eat they aren’t going to produce poop.

If your little guy isn’t doing any better I think a trip to one of the two Tampa area vets is in order.

You’ve stopped giving the metacam? If he’s still on Baytril offer him some vanilla full fat yogurt or a probiotic like Benebac a couple of hours after you dose the Baytril. I think Baytril really is hard on their GI system.

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Rock Monkey (10-14-2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12