Thread: downs or other possible metabolic disorder

Default downs or other possible metabolic disorder

This baby was born around the 2nd of September and weighs 35grams. Found on sept 4th. I have had her since sept 9th. Hairless except head and tail. skin still pink. Terrible digestive issue but getting better. Gaining weight now but still very slow. bad developmental issues.
    Name:  baby2.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  36.4 KB Name:  baby.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  57.1 KB
    Others have said to try ultra boost. I will give that a try but her little system has had a terrible time and I don't know if she will digest it. Formula is fox valley 20/50 5% bw as often as her milk line allows. she also developed a rash around the base of her tail for a couple days but that is healing...hope it was from urine. Joints look a little off but that may be because she still has see through skin.
    What do you all think?

julia
    Last edited by gardenjewel; 10-09-2020 at 01:04 PM. Reason: add info

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to gardenjewel from:

SammysMom (10-15-2020)

Default Re: downs or other possible metabolic disorder

I think she's precious!

Quote Originally Posted by gardenjewel View Post
    This baby was born around the 2nd of September and weighs 35grams. Found on sept 4th. I have had her since sept 9th. Hairless except head and tail. skin still pink. Terrible digestive issue but getting better. Gaining weight now but still very slow. bad developmental issues.
    Others have said to try ultra boost. I will give that a try but her little system has had a terrible time and I don't know if she will digest it. Formula is fox valley 20/50 5% bw as often as her milk line allows. she also developed a rash around the base of her tail for a couple days but that is healing...hope it was from urine. Joints look a little off but that may be because she still has see through skin.
    What do you all think?
    julia
    The "features" are also a little suggestive, I wouldn't rule out downs....
    I've personally have not rehabbed a downs baby but some members have raised them
    and can likely advise through their experiences. I will try and reach out to a few to
    look at your forum.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Chirps (10-09-2020)

I’ve never had a downs baby this young but the little guys put you through the ringer. They are crazy high maintenance for their entire short lives. Absolutely not releasable so if you can’t devote the time, patience and did I say TIME? Let me know. For a Downes sweetie I travel. Just watch your baby grow. There are markers that will tell you if you have one of God’s choicest blessings. Give a holler if there’s anything I can do for you and your baby. Just pm your number.

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

Chirps (10-10-2020), KCullen (09-06-2021), stepnstone (10-10-2020)

OMG. Five???
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Hi garden, it’s been a long time.
    I saw this baby in the other thread. I’m not so sure this is a dwarf. I think she was found when she was a day or 2 old. My goodness... 13g. You noted that she tried to die every day so failure to thrive was certainly an issue. She was on goats milk and I’m sure that was probably all she could tolerate with her delicate system. I’m sure there wasn’t any chance that she could digest commercial formula in those early days so just surviving until the next day became the goal. From what I gather she was recently put on FV 20:50. Here is my thought. While the goat milk was able to help her survive, it might not have been enough to help her thrive. During last year formula debacle, I realized just how deficient goat milk is for baby squirrels. It has something like 3% fat and 3% protein. The formulas we use are in the area of 32/40... 20/50... or near this so they have high fat and protein. I think you might actually see her begin to grow as her body adjusts to the higher fat and protein in the FV 20:50. Don’t get me wrong. I’m am NOT criticizing the goat milk formula because that was probably the only thing that kept this delicate baby alive. I just wonder as the weeks grew on maybe it was so deficient from a fat/protein standpoint that maybe growth was delayed. Now that her system has grown to where it can tolerate a more complete formula, you might just see her begin to grow. We will all be watching and rooting for this little fighter. I can just imagine how hard you have worked to keep this little jewel alive and she has stolen your heart.

10. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Chirps (10-10-2020), frankc (10-12-2020), lukaslolamaus (11-13-2020), Mel1959 (10-10-2020), TubeDriver (10-10-2020)

Thanks all. Yeah it has been awhile. I was getting my squirrel fix on facebook but I wanted some real help with this one. Also sick of the groups there and really miss the spirt here. I went with the formula recommended here. goats milk, yogurt, whipped , egg yellow. She is def. growing better now she is up to 42 grams. probably should have tried switching her sooner but was so happy she stabilized I didn't want to mess it up. The hair is coming in a little better but she is still mostly naked. I want her to have a life in the trees but will care for her as long as she needs. I have another nr ( malocclusion, head trama, 7 years old ) who would love a sister. I will keep you up dated. There was a naked adult squirrel on facebook, molly. who was found naked as an older juvie and is still naked but has a little hair coming in. I wonder if she is on the board ( Gayle )….sounds familiar and if she did anything special to help grow some fur. Here is baby today. I have been thinking of calling her Halloween and weenie for short, but not sure yet.
    Name:  new pic.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  56.3 KB

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to gardenjewel:

HRT4SQRLS (10-12-2020), SammysMom (10-15-2020)

There was a naked adult squirrel on facebook, molly. who was found naked as an older juvie and is still naked but has a little hair coming in.
    I wonder if she is on the board ( Gayle )….sounds familiar and if she did anything special to help grow some fur.
    She is one of our Admin, SammysMom.
    Molly's forum: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...t=#post1318945
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

HRT4SQRLS (10-12-2020)

Thanks all. Yeah it has been awhile. I was getting my squirrel fix on facebook but I wanted some real help with this one. Also sick of the groups there and really miss the spirt here. I went with the formula recommended here. goats milk, yogurt, whipped , egg yellow. She is def. growing better now she is up to 42 grams. probably should have tried switching her sooner but was so happy she stabilized I didn't want to mess it up. The hair is coming in a little better but she is still mostly naked. I want her to have a life in the trees but will care for her as long as she needs. I have another nr ( malocclusion, head trama, 7 years old ) who would love a sister. I will keep you up dated. There was a naked adult squirrel on facebook, molly. who was found naked as an older juvie and is still naked but has a little hair coming in. I wonder if she is on the board ( Gayle )….sounds familiar and if she did anything special to help grow some fur. Here is baby today. I have been thinking of calling her Halloween and weenie for short, but not sure yet.
    Name:  new pic.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  56.3 KB
    Have you switched this baby’s formula to Fox Valley 20/50? I think HRT mentioned that the baby was probably not getting near the nutrients it needed in the goats milk to thrive. Hair loss, or no hair, is definitely a dietary issue. Usually lack of protein.

I had a dwarf that had very thin hair until I switched from ground Henrys in his formula to ground Harlan Teklad 2018. He ate a combination of ground Teklad, Fox Valley 20/50, Ultraboost and veggie baby food, and sometimes baby food chicken.

I think this baby is starving for nutrients.

Here’s my Joey. You can see the difference in his fur.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

HRT4SQRLS (10-12-2020), stepnstone (10-12-2020), TubeDriver (11-12-2020)

Yes she has been on 20/50 for awhile now. She was on the goats milk formula because of what is recommended under the large banner ESIBLAC PROBLEMS. I usually use esbilac for pinkys but she wasn't doing well on it. She didn't do well on anything....the goats milk formula kept her alive.

anyways, she is up to 51 grams and opened her eyes last night. Still naked except for feets head and tail. skin is not as pink so I think some fur is in her future.

Here i am! How's that baby doing?

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    She is one of our Admin, SammysMom.
    Molly's forum: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...t=#post1318945
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

stepnstone (10-15-2020)

She is doing pretty well. Still pretty naked a little peach fuz is comming in. Up to 68 grams. About 7 weeks old now. She is not normal. Maybe she will catch up in her development maybe not. She gets week and shaky sometimes and i worry but she fights through it. She also gets to crying and wont be comforted. I give gas x at those times and that seems to help. She is very vocal and has enough attitude for 3 squirrels.
    Here is a pic from last week when she opened her eyes.
    Name:  squirrelresized.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  53.5 KB

this one is from today
    Name:  oct 20th.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  49.7 KB

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to gardenjewel:

stepnstone (10-20-2020), TubeDriver (11-12-2020)

One more pic of cute from today
    Name:  cute.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  81.4 KB

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to gardenjewel from:

stepnstone (10-20-2020)

She is adorable

She is a doll!

Just look at that sweet face, puts a smile on my face😁
    Great way to start the day
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

That baby is absolutely breathtaking. Picture everyday pleeeeeeze!