Thread: Release cage litter

Default Release cage litter

My 2 squirrels may winter over in a horse stall with rubber stall mats. Will the squirrels choose a certain spot to pee and poop or will it be random? In their current cage they don't pee or poop in their nest box. I use puppy pee pads in the bottom. That is not practical in the large stall I could place pee pads in a corner if they will use it or I can cover the 12x12 bottom with cat litter, pine shavings or PDZ, a clay product for horse stalls and chicken coops.

Default Re: Release cage litter

You really shouldn’t be using puppy pads with your squirrels. There have been members whose squirrels got very sick from some type of compound within the pee pads.

As for going to the bathroom in the horse stall, I think they will randomly go where they want. I’d think hay would be fine to use in the bottom.

I don’t know how your stall is set up, but are these squirrels going to be able to see out? Do you have a way to enter the stall to feed them, and check on them, without them escaping? Is the stall going to provide adequate warmth? Is it chew proof? Do you plan to put tree limbs in there for them to climb on?

Lots of questions. I just want to be sure you’ve thought about everything.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Pfcrane (10-10-2020)

I've heard about a problem with pee pads. I haven't noticed any problem but I did switch to human underpads. I'll try different materials for litter.

I think I have addressed and solved all the other questions you asked. The barn will stay warmer than outside but I can add a heat if necessary. What would the minimum outside temp be for them?
    I'm adding a secure entrance. They will have outside access to a secure run. When they're ready for release I will make a door to the wild with food and nest available inside as long as they need.
    Referring back to the previous threads we had, an upper incisor is missing and there is a hole where it should be. It interfered with her sucking but it's getting better. I'll be trimming her teeth as needed.
    I'm waiting for an appointment for an x-ray.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Pfcrane from:

Mel1959 (10-10-2020)

UPDATE: All the issues and questions are resolving. The squirrel with MO has 2 top teeth coming in, hopefully growing down. They both love their big enclosure with the outdoor space.
    Thanks again for your help.
    I had 4 more under 3 weeks brought to me yesterday. Found in a garage and mama never reclaimed them. Rehydrated and eating diluted formula. All pooping and peeing.