Thread: Squirrel bitten by small dog - Hematoma?

Default Squirrel bitten by small dog - Hematoma?

Hi All

I posted for (emergency) help over the past weekend after one of my 11 week old males got bitten by a small dog. After having him on Iboprufen (for a day) I switched to Prednisone which got him over the shock of the attack and he started moving and eating again.

However, I noticed on Monday that apart from the lump on his abdomen (just in front of his right hind leg) there was also a raised area on his rib cage (on the right side too). It moves with the skin and he allows me to touch it without it causing him visible discomfort.

Yesterday morning I noticed a small part of the edge of the raised area was bleeding and formed a scab. This morning the entire raised area was covered by a scab. I started him on antibiotics yesterday and started applying cortisone to the scab today. Not sure whether any of this was the right course of action. Can someone please advise what this might be and what action I should be taking?

Also, I would be happy to take him to a vet if you can recommend a vet in Fort Lauderdale please. My dogs' and cat's vet refused to see him as he said he was not licensed to treat wildlife.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Squirrel bitten by small dog - Hematoma?

It looks like a puncture wound. What antibiotic did you start him on? How did you come up with the dosage?

The only vet I know of in south Florida is in Deerfield Beach. Summit Animal Hospital, Dr. Kelleher, 954-968-7171. Please call and confirm that this vet is still there and will see your squirrel.

Keep us updated.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

IngridStrydom (10-07-2020)

The only antibiotic I have for him is Enrofloxacin and I was hoping that the label's statement regarding bacterial infection would make it appropriate. I am giving him 1 drop diluted in apple juice twice daily. Got the dosage from a friend who also rescues orphans as I was desperately looking for help and information. Can you please steer me in the right direction?

When he first got bitten there were not obvious puncture wounds, no bleeding at all.

Thank you for the vet and other info. I truly appreciate your help. I will call and check the vet.

I checked into Dr. Kelleher and as an FYI she is with Broward Avian & Exotic Animal Hospital in Deerfield Beach. I will call there tomorrow.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to IngridStrydom from:

Mel1959 (10-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by IngridStrydom View Post
    Hi All

I posted for (emergency) help over the past weekend after one of my 11 week old males got bitten by a small dog. After having him on Iboprufen (for a day) I switched to Prednisone which got him over the shock of the attack and he started moving and eating again.

However, I noticed on Monday that apart from the lump on his abdomen (just in front of his right hind leg) there was also a raised area on his rib cage (on the right side too). It moves with the skin and he allows me to touch it without it causing him visible discomfort.

Yesterday morning I noticed a small part of the edge of the raised area was bleeding and formed a scab. This morning the entire raised area was covered by a scab. I started him on antibiotics yesterday and started applying cortisone to the scab today. Not sure whether any of this was the right course of action. Can someone please advise what this might be and what action I should be taking?

Also, I would be happy to take him to a vet if you can recommend a vet in Fort Lauderdale please. My dogs' and cat's vet refused to see him as he said he was not licensed to treat wildlife.
    He is so cute! Hope he feels much better very soon!

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

IngridStrydom (10-09-2020)

Default Re: Squirrel bitten by small dog - Hematoma? - UPDATE

Just an update: I took Nero to Broward Avian & Exotic Animal Hospital yesterday where Dr. Pardini saw him and diagnosed him with an abscess (not a hematoma). He is now on the corrrect medications (Baytril/Enrofloxacin as antibiotic, Gabapantin to try and prevent possible self-mutilation). He seems slightly sleepy as she suggested he might be, but hopefully it is temporary. I have another appointment where she will surgically remove the abscess.

Special thanks to Mel1959 for providing me with critical information (regarding a vet) when I desperately needed it. Please cross your fingers that this little guy will make it through all of this and be a healthy, happy squirrel.

10. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to IngridStrydom:

Diggie's Friend (10-09-2020), Rock Monkey (10-10-2020), stepnstone (10-09-2020), TubeDriver (10-09-2020)