Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Help with Release Cage Planning...

Default Re: Need Help with Release Cage Planning...

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Great points! The cage is actually mobile. We can put it on the other side, but then we cannot keep an eye on him, and he is more open to wind etc. So it's a trade off.

Do you think the other side (sunny but more open) is better?
    Given your location the direction of exposure is going to be critical. Mel lives in Florida.

If you know which way is the prevailing wind you probably can block that out with a tarp, so long as that isn't southerly, which is where the sun will always be. It will get lower and lower in the sky as the winter solstice approaches.

If it is forty degrees or above, with little wind, and the sun is out and the wall is south facing it is just fine for climbing. We are out there the whole day. You always have your hand in contact with the rock. On the north side, it doesn't matter how many layers you have on, it is just miserable.

I also work on my yard all year long. Working on the north side of the house (3 stories tall) is no fun at all during the winter. So, exposure makes a massive difference once the air temps starts dropping.

You ought to be able to rig a mirror so you can look at the cage. The curved ones have a wider field of view. The mirror could be mounted to the fence or a post. The curved mirror allows you to see around corners.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (10-11-2020)

Plus, he will have some sort of box in there lined with warm fleece to retreat to if he wants to.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (10-11-2020)

Also, if I put it on the sun side I would put some brick, pavers and/or stones to act as heat sinks and then Buddy could lie on these warmed stones. And if it is oriented to the sun tarps on the sides would act reflectors and would hold the heat of the sun somewhat.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (10-11-2020)

Makes sense... I know Sun is really important for all living beings.

Before we decorate more etc. I'll suggest to move it to the other side.

Thank you for all the suggestions/comments. Everyone has been so great! I'm very grateful for this board and I see how everyone is trying to help everyone who needs help tirelessly. Such an awesome community!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Given your location the direction of exposure is going to be critical. Mel lives in Florida.

If you know which way is the prevailing wind you probably can block that out with a tarp, so long as that isn't southerly, which is where the sun will always be. It will get lower and lower in the sky as the winter solstice approaches.

If it is forty degrees or above, with little wind, and the sun is out and the wall is south facing it is just fine for climbing. We are out there the whole day. You always have your hand in contact with the rock. On the north side, it doesn't matter how many layers you have on, it is just miserable.

I also work on my yard all year long. Working on the north side of the house (3 stories tall) is no fun at all during the winter. So, exposure makes a massive difference once the air temps starts dropping.

You ought to be able to rig a mirror so you can look at the cage. The curved ones have a wider field of view. The mirror could be mounted to the fence or a post. The curved mirror allows you to see around corners.
    If you move it to the other side you will need to provide coverage for where the wind will typically come from. Maybe a solid piece of material that will break the wind.

I agree, the sun is great to help warm him in the winter, but it wonít do a lot of good if the wind chill is 10 degrees.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Buddy (10-11-2020)

Mel, yes, for sure!!

I'll reconsider all tomorrow more carefully. I'll see how much sun he is getting in where he is now.

The other concern I just thought about, if we move him to the other side, his cage would be totally visible to all people walking by...

I want to do the best for him.

The reality is he will probably do ok in either location. You have to figure out what is going to work best for you. If the cage being visible to folks in your neighborhood could present a problem, then donít put the cage there. My cage is in my backyard, slightly visible from the street, definitely visible from the canal behind my house, but I live in Florida and we donít have strict wildlife laws. Besides, I work under a licensed rehabber. You may have a different situation.

Since it does get cold where you are, you might need to consider how you could provide a heat source if necessary, like a heat lamp outside the cage etc. I know you said you intend to bring him in at night when itís exceptionally cold, Iím just thinking ahead about how it might become more difficult to do so as he starts to get more wild.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Buddy (10-12-2020)

Thank you! Yes, I think he would probably be fine as well in either places. I'm going to observe the sun and think about other criteria in the next few days and will make a decision.

That's a good point about a heat source. I will look into it.

I think you're doing a great job with your baby. And either location would work. Inside he will be more protected from being harassed by local dogs and cats etc. which happened to my little boy when he was staying in his rc.

And....are you sure you have a little boy?

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

Buddy (10-12-2020)

What do you guys think of this? In the reviews, looks like bunch of people use it for outside; even squirrel rehabers ...

https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Products-.../dp/B07HML9QJ5

Quote Originally Posted by RockyPops View Post
    I think you're doing a great job with your baby. And either location would work. Inside he will be more protected from being harassed by local dogs and cats etc. which happened to my little boy when he was staying in his rc.

And....are you sure you have a little boy?

Thank you!!
    Yes, I'm very sure he is a boy!

This is a picture of him around the time I found him.

Name:  Buddy Boy.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  118.5 KB

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

RockyPops (10-13-2020)

I think that looks like it will work great! When you get it look it over for potential chewing spots. It sounds like theyíve thought of ways to prevent that, but squirrels are tenacious chewers.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Buddy (10-12-2020)

I think we found a middle ground solution. We moved the cage next to the door to the backyard (it's a bit weird, out of alignment etc, but it seems this is the best for Buddy). This way, he is facing south and will be getting a lot more sun, but also won't be easily seen by people walking by. We will also be able to see him from our bedroom window too.

I'm still planning to have the heating pad underneath his nest box, if it works out (fingers crossed).

Thank you all for all your comments and suggestions!

Name:  20201014_160332.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  93.1 KB

That looks good. Lots of sun.

Yeah, I think being a foster parent to a squirrel fundamentally requires compromise. I had no idea how much so when I started down this road.

Most of the release cages that I have seen have some sort of annex or antechamber that allows you in while still keeping the squirrels locked in. Their is battle going on in Buddy, a battle between love for you and your family and instinct, to leap from the trees and frolic with his fellow squirrels. Instinct will continue to get stronger, with the temptation literally ever-present all day long while he is in that cage.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (10-15-2020)

I've been away for soo long w/and rehabs have been 24/7 for season after season.
    It is so great to see the folks are still offering such guidance for each unique situation 🐿🌳 Buddy is a lucky lil one ark have been rescued by this caring Samaritan ❤️

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquirrelSense from:

Buddy (10-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I think we found a middle ground solution. We moved the cage next to the door to the backyard (it's a bit weird, out of alignment etc, but it seems this is the best for Buddy). This way, he is facing south and will be getting a lot more sun, but also won't be easily seen by people walking by. We will also be able to see him from our bedroom window too.

I'm still planning to have the heating pad underneath his nest box, if it works out (fingers crossed).

Thank you all for all your comments and suggestions!

Name:  20201014_160332.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  93.1 KB
    It looks good. Iíd cover the end of the cage thatís away from the door, if you already havenít. Put his cube and nest box in that corner with tree limbs leading up to it and around the cage. You might need to place something solid over the wire of the feeding door toO to protect the food you put in there from the sun otherwise it will wilt quickly. Also make sure his water bottle/bowl isnít in the sun.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Buddy (10-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    That looks good. Lots of sun.

Yeah, I think being a foster parent to a squirrel fundamentally requires compromise. I had no idea how much so when I started down this road.

Most of the release cages that I have seen have some sort of annex or antechamber that allows you in while still keeping the squirrels locked in. Their is battle going on in Buddy, a battle between love for you and your family and instinct, to leap from the trees and frolic with his fellow squirrels. Instinct will continue to get stronger, with the temptation literally ever-present all day long while he is in that cage.
    Thank you! Yes, absolutely! A lot of work... compromises... But they steal your heart and you do everything you can...

Yes, we haven't fully done with the cage. We will build additional stuff; feeding window and some kind of antechamber. I notice that he has more courage every day to explore as he gets familiar with the space he has. So, yes, I'm sure he'll try to expand his freedom... We need to be careful.
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Please visit "My Buddy" thread to know more about Buddy: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...65309-My-Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelSense View Post
    I've been away for soo long w/and rehabs have been 24/7 for season after season.
    It is so great to see the folks are still offering such guidance for each unique situation 🐿🌳 Buddy is a lucky lil one ark have been rescued by this caring Samaritan ❤️
    Awww, thank you!! Yes, this board has been amazing and a great help! Not only for me & Buddy, but so many others... I'm amazed how tirelessly everyone is trying to help save these little friends!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Please visit "My Buddy" thread to know more about Buddy: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...65309-My-Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    It looks good. Iíd cover the end of the cage thatís away from the door, if you already havenít. Put his cube and nest box in that corner with tree limbs leading up to it and around the cage. You might need to place something solid over the wire of the feeding door toO to protect the food you put in there from the sun otherwise it will wilt quickly. Also make sure his water bottle/bowl isnít in the sun.
    Thank you Mel! Again, great recommendations! Yes, I was thinking about covering that side. Great points on the food/water. I'll definitely place the stuff accordingly.

Where Buddy hangs out in that cage will tell you a lot about his preferences. I expect they will change as temperatures drop. As temperatures drop you will likely want to change how things are arranged. It is good that you will be able to look in on him periodically.

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (10-19-2020)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast