Thread: Need Help with Release Cage Planning...

Hybrid View

Default Need Help with Release Cage Planning...

My husband graciously agreed to build an outdoor release cage for Buddy.

The size will be something like 3 x 6 x 8.

We have 2 options. Option1: It's just right outside of our door to the backyard, so we can see it from the window/door and keep an eye on. It's more protected; because of the house walls. It doesn't get as much sun though.

Name:  Release Cage_Option1.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  84.1 KB

Option2: The other side of the wooden wall in the Option1: It definitely gets much more sun, but it's more in the open, so it'll be very open to wind/rain etc. Plus, since it's on the other side, we won't be able to keep an eye on it, unless we walk outside and go to the other side of the wooden wall.

Name:  Release Cage_Option2.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  90.0 KB

Which option do you guys think is better?

My other question is, do we need to have Hardware Cloth on the bottom?

Just as a note: we will use this outside release cage to keep Buddy out, so he can get as much space/exercise as possible, but we will bring him back home for cold/rainy days/nights. We will do the full release in spring.

Thank you!!

Default Re: Need Help with Release Cage Planning...

I guess, one more questions (and I expect I might have as we think this more thoroughly)... I was thinking we cover only half or a little more than half of the top with a tarp or something to protect from rain/snow etc. Should we try to cover all top? Which might then mean a lot less sun...

Option 1. My release cage is completely in the shade. The only side that’s open is a northern exposure which doesn’t get a lot of sun, but it’s the side by the feeding station where all the wilds congregate. I think you’ll want to be able to keep an eye on him.

I have a cover over the complete top of my release cage. I also cover two sides and a portion of the third. I do this for several reasons.

First, I want my squirrels to feel safe. There are a lot of wild squirrels that climb on the cage and I don’t want them stressed thinking they can get in and the squirrels inside thinking they can’t escape.

Second, my release cage is in the corner of my yard. I live in a housing development with an average amount of space between mine and my neighbors house. We share a metal fence which is directly beside my release cage. He has a dog. I wanted the dogs view, and vice eras, obstructed from my squirrels in the cage.

Third, I have a sprinkler system that must run periodically. I live in Florida and I must water my lawn through the summer months or it would burn up. I don’t want the sprinklers spraying water on my squirrels or their fleece cubes or nest boxes.

And the fourth reason you may want to cover the top completely is if you live where there are raccoons. Raccoons will climb on the top and sides of the cage, frighten your squirrels, but also they will poop while on top of the cage and their poop can have roundworm larvae in it that is lethal to squirrels. I don’t have this problem, but you might. I still cover the top completely.

I have never had a problem with my released guys not knowing to come in out of the rain or be freaked out over the rain, once released.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (10-06-2020), KCullen (05-07-2021)

Here are pictures of my release cage. The first one is sideways and I don’t know how to rotate it.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (10-06-2020), KCullen (05-07-2021)

Mel, thank you so much for your response and recommendations! They all makes total sense! Thank you!!

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Mel1959 (10-07-2020)

Mel, can't really tell from the pictures; do you have hardware clothing at the bottom, or is it just the ground/soil at the bottom of your cage?