Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Need Help with Release Cage Planning...

Default Re: Need Help with Release Cage Planning...

I think the wild side is anchored quite deeply.

Spending some time everyday with Buddy, building positive personal capital, is what, in my opinion, will keep him manageable, half-way civilized during the winter. I think he is more likely to mind you when you tell him "No" or redirect him if there continues to be playful interaction between you and the family. Otherwise, he may really tear things up or become very unhappy about being constrained. I think play is an intrinsic part of their natures.

Otherwise I think both of you will become very aggravated with each other through the long winter.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (11-14-2020)

First, let me say Spanky is an awesome rehabber and raises and releases countless squirrels. It is not feasible that rehabbers that have a high volume of squirrels in their care are capable, or do they want to interact with them, in the same way as folks that only rehab one or two squirrels in their lifetime.

When I first started rehabbing squirrels 15+ years ago I read all the info about how to raise and release and tried to follow it. I released those two babies successfully. Fast forward 10 years and I got my next baby squirrel and discovered The Squirrel Board. I have read how the release process is supposed to go, but honestly, I fail miserably at it. I am not a professional rehabber and break all the rules. I release on my property in my pseudo-suburban neighborhood. When I raise babies I interact with them until I open the portal.... and usually beyond. I have not had an unpleasant experience with my guys being too familiar with people, but I know others that have posted that this has happened to them. I form a closer bond with some of my guys within a litter and they tend to stick around....for awhile. My experience is that they still will move on if thatís what they want to do, whether you have a relationship with them or not. Itís heartbreaking, but itís what theyíre suppose to do.

Living in Florida I donít have to overwinter. But the two boys I released 5 years ago had developed a very close bond with me. They were released at around 20+ weeks and brought back inside after a couple of months because of an impending hurricane. After they were released the second time they stayed in a tree in my yard for almost a year. Eventually they decided to do what male squirrels do and spread their gene pool. I never saw them again.

My point is that they ALWAYS seem to wild up and move on....eventually. Males more so than females, for sure.

I think you should do what feels right for you and Buddy, to make it through to spring.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Buddy (11-14-2020)

Thank you guys!

Yes, I know Spanky is an awesome rehabber and helped me a lot in the beginning too. That's why I care about the comment/recommendation.

Good to hear that you didn't encounter any issues even with the ones you build close relationships, Mel, and I think I have a pretty good idea how you feel when they decide to move on.

I'll absolutely respect Buddy's decision. I hope he decides to stick around and didn't encounter any resistance from other squirrels.

As long as he has a healthy, happy, and hopefully long life, I'm over the moon for him! Even if it's not around me...

Just trying to do best for him... I just don't want him to go to some other human and they freak out and they think he is friendly because he has rabies or something like that. Hopefully I'm just overthinking and hopefully during the wildening up process and later, he will understand and know that humans might not all be friendly!

As always, thanks for the feedback/comments!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Please visit "My Buddy" thread to know more about Buddy: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...65309-My-Buddy

Your concerns about him being overly friendly are valid. But, as others have said, the Wild is pretty hard wired into them. Most that maintain a close relationship with their humans donít allow themselves to be touched once released. Others will allow it and seem to enjoy it.....for awhile..... and some never look back.

Because I have a friendly female that lives in my side yard, I warn any workers that come to my house that she might jump on them, which she has in anticipation of getting a nut on her turf. I know itís not an ideal situation and could be a recipe for disaster. . But, I have never heard of her jumping on any of my neighbors when she leaves my yard to explore. She doesnít tolerate being pet any longer. Most of the wilds that we feed will also jump on us to get a nut.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Buddy (11-15-2020)

Good to hear! Thank you Mel!! That's comforting... If it means he is safer, I'm okay with him not letting us pet him anymore.
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Please visit "My Buddy" thread to know more about Buddy: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...65309-My-Buddy

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234