Thread: Attachment Advice

Default Attachment Advice

Hello! I have a 10/11 week old (so we think) we have been taking care of. We have had her 3 weeks now since she was attacked by a cat in front of our home, her mother was killed. She has an abscess that is healing. Her health has improved incredibly since we first brought her inside. She recently has become very attached to me, today was the first time she made any noises, I looked it up and apparently it is a call they make to their moms. When I put her back in her cage after having play/exercise time she tries to get out and bites at the bars and it worries me that she will hurt herself. She just wants to be out of the cage to be near me and then she goes to sleep on me. I dont mind it but I also need her to be okay in her cage. I just wanted to see if this is normal or what I can do to help this. I know naturally she would be attached to her mom so Im trying to be gentle with her I dont want to cause any harm or additional stress especially while she is healing but of course she cannot be out 24/7 and we have cats as well so we need to be careful.

Default Re: Attachment Advice

Was she treated with an oral antibiotic after being attacked by the cat? Can you take a picture of the abscess and post it?

Do you have a stuffed animal (no plastic eyes or nose) in her cage for her to snuggle with? Lots of blankets or a hanging cube for her to hide in?

Maybe her calls of distress are not just related to loneliness.

Default Re: Attachment Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Jcatherine74 View Post
    She recently has become very attached to me, today was the first time she made any noises, I looked it up and apparently it is a call they make to their moms.
    Squirrels purr to show their contentment. It is a brief, rapid ticking sound. If you hear this sound you have just been given a high compliment.