Thread: Baby Red Squirrel with with prolapsed bowel?

Default Baby Red Squirrel with with prolapsed bowel?

Hello Community,
    I need an advice on the following.
    I have squirrels visiting my balcony every day. Yesterday I saw a baby squirrel (probably 2,5 Months old) with a large, dirty something hanging from his belly / anus I thought it might be an infected penis but when it grabbed a nut and started to eat it, it was like the nut came out of this something immediately, but only almost liquid. As the squirrel was sitting down on this, I think that it doesn’t really hurt him, however the whole area seems to be infected and very dirty and I think it will be a matter of time until the squirrel will be very weakened because of this.
    Does anyone knows what exactly this is, and if I can do anything to help? Is a vet. able to fix this?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Baby Red Squirrel with with prolapsed bowel?

No one? No ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Koleg View Post
    Hello Community,
    I need an advice on the following.
    I have squirrels visiting my balcony every day. Yesterday I saw a baby squirrel (probably 2,5 Months old) with a large, dirty something hanging from his belly / anus I thought it might be an infected penis but when it grabbed a nut and started to eat it, it was like the nut came out of this something immediately, but only almost liquid. As the squirrel was sitting down on this, I think that it doesn’t really hurt him, however the whole area seems to be infected and very dirty and I think it will be a matter of time until the squirrel will be very weakened because of this.
    Does anyone knows what exactly this is, and if I can do anything to help? Is a vet. able to fix this?
    The picture is not clear enough to actually see what you are speaking of or seeing.
    A vet that treats wildlife may be able to repair if it is a prolapse but I do not know what is available to your area
    or if squirrels are even legal to treat in your area.
    If this is a prolapse and infected, tissue decay will result in septis and or gangrene. It is life threatening and will
    cause death. Personally, if this is what you suspect and there is no treatment available for this baby I would capture
    and have it humanly euthanized before I'd watch it suffer and or become prey.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Koleg (10-06-2020)

Thank you stepnstone!
    Im actually writing from Germany.
    Squirrels are protected animals here, it is forbidden to hunt, hurt or even to scare them away here. There are also wildlife stations around here however, they seem to be quite clueless. I’ve just called a vet close by and she said I shall try to catch the baby and bring it to her. It is legal to catch them if they need help.
    As I have no idea how to catch the little one, wish me well
    Thanks for your input.

Koleg, if the squirrel will let you get close enough, try throwing a large, heavy bath towel over him. You have to be quick -- wrap him up in the towel as fast as possible and then get everything -- towel AND squirrel -- into a bin or a large carrier.

Your alternative is to buy a humane trap: I don't know if Have-A-Hart traps are available in Germany but they are very good for catching squirrels without harming them.

https://www.havahart.com/small-2-doo...RoCZKQQAvD_BwE

Thank you for helping this poor little one!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Koleg (10-06-2020)