Thread: Poop color

Default Poop color

Hi there, i have three babies and they were having the regular poop, golden color, I switched them from esbilac to fv 20/50 and little wiping cream. The poop is consistent and good in amount and it’s periodically. But lately all three have changed to a lightly beige color. Is this normal?

Default Re: Poop color

Quote Originally Posted by insupitilla View Post
    Hi there, i have three babies and they were having the regular poop, golden color, I switched them from esbilac to fv 20/50 and little wiping cream. The poop is consistent and good in amount and it’s periodically. But lately all three have changed to a lightly beige color. Is this normal?
    There is no need to add whipping cream to 20/50.
    Are you feeding according to 5-7% of their body weight?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    There is no need to add whipping cream to 20/50.
    Are you feeding according to 5-7% of their body weight?
    Drinking 8-9%, is that too much ? Is the color ok being beige?

Quote Originally Posted by insupitilla View Post
    Drinking 8-9%, is that too much ? Is the color ok being beige?

The color can depend on varying factors.
    The added cream could make it lighter, over feeding can make it lighter.
    Depending on the
    consistency of the bowel it could be alright.
    If the color change includes the bowel getting softer, that's a red flag and
    diarrhea could follow.
    The 5-7% represents the capacity of their stomachs, older babies can take
    more without incident as long as their bowels remain stable. That's what you
    need to watch for when increasing formula feedings.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Rock Monkey (05-24-2021)

I have a question on this as well. I have had my foster baby since last Tuesday. His eyes just opened today- he is taking 6 cc’s each feeding now, and today instead of being darker in color and hard, the poop has changed to a golden color but is softer. Not diarrhea just softer. He eats every 3 hours. Should I give him less CC’s at a time? Or go longer between feedings? He always seemed hungry with less CC’s or waiting longer, but his poop was darker and harder with less!

Do absolutely nothing different. The harder black poops were from his mother's milk, which takes a few days to pass thru his system. They were harder because he was dehydrated. Formula poop is golden to tan to olive in color, but not white or mushy. If you see it get lighter or mushy, you're overfeeding.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Do absolutely nothing different. The harder black poops were from his mother's milk, which takes a few days to pass thru his system. They were harder because he was dehydrated. Formula poop is golden to tan to olive in color, but not white or mushy. If you see it get lighter or mushy, you're overfeeding.

Thank you! His poop is softer now, but not diarrhea. He opened both eyes within the last day, he will take 6 CC at a time- is that okay? should I feed every 3 hours or wait longer like 3.5 to 4? Does he still need an overnight feed? Sorry to ask I just want to continue to do everything right for him.

Quote Originally Posted by DanniCristina View Post
    Thank you! His poop is softer now, but not diarrhea. He opened both eyes within the last day, he will take 6 CC at a time- is that okay? should I feed every 3 hours or wait longer like 3.5 to 4? Does he still need an overnight feed? Sorry to ask I just want to continue to do everything right for him.

Feeding amounts are by weight, I will attach a cheat sheet.

At 5 weeks I feed 5 times a day, remove the overnight (6th) feeding when their eyes open as long as they are healthy and over 100grams. I feed ever 4 - 4.5 hours. My schedule would look like 6AM, 10:30AM, 3PM, 7:30PM and 11PM.

Name:  FormulaFeedingChart.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  63.7 KB

Thank you for this info!! My 1 CC syringe started sticking so I ordered more that will be here tomorrow. He has a 3 CC I am being careful with just till it comes in- but he always acts so hungry and tries to eat so fast. No matter what syringe. He’s been doing good, though this morning he made almost like a little “inhale/gulp” sound so now I am overly nervous even though it was slight- and probably nothing but I worry sick about him. He is 5 weeks- eyes opened this past Sunday into Monday- I’ve had him 8 days as of this evening. He was found nearly unresponsive at 1030 at night last Tuesday by someone I know... he said he noticed him outside at 3 pm, and checked again the mom never came back. He gets 6CC every 4 hours now, he was 115 grams the other day. Should I increase the amount since he always seems so hungry?

Name:  AE2133BA-3C14-4AF7-94FA-4607EA943C11.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  118.6 KB