Thread: My clumsy guy is at it again :( Paw Injury

Unhappy My clumsy guy is at it again :( Paw Injury

Keanu was a little too excited this morning and ran up his cage per usual, but fell backwards when he rolled and I was unable to catch him due to the cage being so close to the window that I couldn’t get behind it. It happened so fast, but I think he injured his leg trying to catch himself. He was very scared after and needed me to come and pick him up and wouldn’t move a bit. He’s doing Perfectly fine now but I’m wondering if I should see a vet or not this time around.

He didn’t move his paw for about 5 minutes, but he let me ice it for over a minute (which I found pretty impressive for him to hold still for so long) when he hurt it, and after that he was running all around per usual and playing and grabbing again. He doesn’t put as much pressure on it (left front paw) I’ve noticed, and he holds it to his chest more than usual. all his fingers work, and he’s able to hold food and scale up door frames though. I’m thankful it’s not broken, and I’ve fixed the cage location to where the incident won’t happen again. Just wondering if there’s any painkiller I can give him, if I should wrap it with vetrap, or just take him to a vet because I hate to see the little dude in pain; it breaks my heart.

Thank you guys again! Here’s a photo about 5 minutes after injury—eating and happy as can be! Name:  AAD29B14-742B-4C79-9262-6DFDBDFA452B.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  73.7 KB

Default Re: My clumsy guy is at it again :( Paw Injury

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrellyQ View Post
    Keanu was a little too excited this morning and ran up his cage per usual, but fell backwards when he rolled and I was unable to catch him due to the cage being so close to the window that I couldn’t get behind it. It happened so fast, but I think he injured his leg trying to catch himself. He was very scared after and needed me to come and pick him up and wouldn’t move a bit. He’s doing Perfectly fine now but I’m wondering if I should see a vet or not this time around.

He didn’t move his paw for about 5 minutes, but he let me ice it for over a minute (which I found pretty impressive for him to hold still for so long) when he hurt it, and after that he was running all around per usual and playing and grabbing again. He doesn’t put as much pressure on it (left front paw) I’ve noticed, and he holds it to his chest more than usual. all his fingers work, and he’s able to hold food and scale up door frames though. I’m thankful it’s not broken, and I’ve fixed the cage location to where the incident won’t happen again. Just wondering if there’s any painkiller I can give him, if I should wrap it with vetrap, or just take him to a vet because I hate to see the little dude in pain; it breaks my heart.

Thank you guys again! Here’s a photo about 5 minutes after injury—eating and happy as can be! Name:  AAD29B14-742B-4C79-9262-6DFDBDFA452B.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  73.7 KB
    Poor baby !! Can you post his weight in Kilograms. Usually infant Ibuprofen can be given to help relieve any pain. It will also slow him down and he may take a nap. Thats why I asked for his weight and I am sure one of our excellent dosage rehabbers will give you the dosage and the correct Infant Ibuprofen to use.
    Squirrels Do Matter

If you Were Lucky Enough To Have Loved and Taken Care Of A Squirrel Then
    You Showed Him Or Her More Love Than They Would Have Ever Known In The Wild
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Member Of WRAM ( Wildlife Rehabbers association Massachusetts)

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to frankc from:

SquirrellyQ (10-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post
    Poor baby !! Can you post his weight in Kilograms. Usually infant Ibuprofen can be given to help relieve any pain. It will also slow him down and he may take a nap. Thats why I asked for his weight and I am sure one of our excellent dosage rehabbers will give you the dosage and the correct Infant Ibuprofen to use.
    Thank you!! Just weighed him right now & his weight is below:
    0.259KG | 9.1oz

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquirrellyQ from:

frankc (10-02-2020)

He seems to be recovering okay. He may be reluctant to fully weight the paw for the next couple of days.

As far as painkiller go, in my opinion, for a sprain, I think it is better that they feel the discomfort so that they will refrain from making the injury worse and give time for the limb to rest and heal.

You should hopefully see continued improvement each day.

If it gets worse, let the forum know.

The most important thing is to make changes to the environment, as you have done, to prevent such accidents from reoccurring.

As they get older, they get faster and faster. Their speed will exceed the speed with which you can react. So, I would look around and look for other potential hazards. It is a process of continual observation of their interaction with the environment and moving things or removing objects.

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

island rehabber (10-03-2020), Lighten-Up (10-04-2020), SquirrellyQ (10-02-2020)

Yes I agree with the above so long as the animal is not showing true distress symptoms. (hunching over, white tears. etc). We don't want to use things like ibuprofen casually as they can have their own adverse effects.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Lighten-Up (10-04-2020), SquirrellyQ (10-03-2020)

Smile Re: My clumsy guy is at it again :( Paw Injury

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Yes I agree with the above so long as the animal is not showing true distress symptoms. (hunching over, white tears. etc). We don't want to use things like ibuprofen casually as they can have their own adverse effects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    He seems to be recovering okay. He may be reluctant to fully weight the paw for the next couple of days.

As far as painkiller go, in my opinion, for a sprain, I think it is better that they feel the discomfort so that they will refrain from making the injury worse and give time for the limb to rest and heal.

You should hopefully see continued improvement each day.

If it gets worse, let the forum know.

The most important thing is to make changes to the environment, as you have done, to prevent such accidents from reoccurring.

As they get older, they get faster and faster. Their speed will exceed the speed with which you can react. So, I would look around and look for other potential hazards. It is a process of continual observation of their interaction with the environment and moving things or removing objects.
    Thank you both for the advice! He's still jumping around all happy today, but still putting a little less pressure on the paw (he watched his "dad" go out and grab a twig for him and he's just nuts over the fact he got one from the tree he's been watching all yesterday). I've come to the conclusion he's just about as clumsy as I am and it makes a good fit . I will also be completely accident-proofing as much as I can today just to avoid future incidents & I found a few vets nearby that do see squirrels in case I ever do need one so it all worked out well.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquirrellyQ from:

Rock Monkey (10-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrellyQ View Post
    I've come to the conclusion he's just about as clumsy as I am and it makes a good fit . I will also be completely accident-proofing as much as I can today just to avoid future incidents.
    Squirrels need to learn to run around like maniacs. They push the edge of the envelope. It is a skill that one day may determine the difference between life and death. So, they are not afraid to fail as they learn to develop these skills. Fortunately, they are very good at righting themselves, landing on their feet and can even choose a landing spot.

A simpler environment, with not too many objects, helps facilitate this learning. It is awesome that he gets to learn these skills in an environment where he doesn't have to worry about predators.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

Lighten-Up (10-04-2020), SquirrellyQ (10-14-2020)