Thread: NEED ACYCLOVIR (Valtrex, Zovirax, etc) ASAP FOR POX SQUIRRELS! PLEEEEEEZ

Default NEED ACYCLOVIR (Valtrex, Zovirax, etc) ASAP FOR POX SQUIRRELS! PLEEEEEEZ

Folks, I hate begging but everything I've tried hasn't worked, including going to my old vet now in Arizona and pleading with him to write me a scrip for this stuff. He keeps forgetting......
    I will take liquid, tablets, fairy dust, you name it -- anything that contains acyclovir under any brand name! What happened is this: My first pox squirrel presented with symptoms about 3 weeks ago. I had Zovirax on hand, but it was very old. Drugs in emulsion do not last as long as tablets. I used it anyway and it held the pox at bay but the damn disease still progressed. Last week I swore Charlotte was getting worse.

Last weekend, I got some new acyclovir from a rehabber friend -- just as I noticed symptoms in two other of my babies. Put them all on the new stuff, along with Nutriferon and some immune-booster nut balls as well. All three have shown improvement, finally! Annnndddd......I used the very last drop of the new stuff today.

All I could do was put them back on the old stuff, but it barely works. Does ANYONE have access to valcyclovir, Valtrex, Zovirax, ANY of this stuff?? I will drive to you, pay you to FedEx it, ANYTHING. Just when I seem to see the kids improving I run out of this drug!!

Please. I can't lose Charlotte, Aquila and BillyBob.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Default Re: NEED ACYCLOVIR (Valtrex, Zovirax, etc) ASAP FOR POX SQUIRRELS! PLEEEEEEZ

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...33#post1241733

Have you checked out the info on, "Dragon's blood" sap from S.A. tree long used (external) for health issues.

There's a link to a webpage on the use of this source aka: "invention", that looked promising.

For Pycnogenol, perhaps 10 mg. (one third of a capsule daily) would be a dose to start with daily to see if it counters the growth and spread of the pox.

https://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Orgin.../dp/B00CLYNA14
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 10-02-2020 at 08:21 AM.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

island rehabber (10-01-2020)

Default Re: NEED ACYCLOVIR (Valtrex, Zovirax, etc) ASAP FOR POX SQUIRRELS! PLEEEEEEZ

Very interesting, DF -- will check it out. At least it's available without a damn Rx...
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

So sorry Maura, wish I had something to help, thankfully I've never had to deal with pox.
    I hope something or someone can come through for you, poor babies
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

I have Acyclovir... PM me the address to send to and it will go FedEx tomorrow AM.

7. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Grinderhead (10-01-2020), lukaslolamaus (10-01-2020), stepnstone (10-01-2020), TubeDriver (10-01-2020)

Spanky, bless you---a fellow admin beat you to it! i'm good, so keep yours and i hope you never have to use it

God I love the people of TSB.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Mel1959 (10-01-2020), stepnstone (10-01-2020), TubeDriver (10-01-2020)

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...58#post1322758

Just so there is no confusion, the croton plant, which commonly goes by the name, "Dragon's blood, isn't the only plant source in the World that goes by this, 'generic name'. There is another plant, a cinnabar source not related to the croton plant, that is also has been given the same general name; yet this one is highly toxic and poisonous.

With the croton plant, it was the sap of this plant that has been used by ancient peoples as a bandage as it contains for one latex that has been used to seal out bacteria from the environment. It has been found to counter Parapox in some animals; yet in researching sources to potentially use to treat or improve conditions in any new species, it is always needful to do a careful comprehensive work up before considering using a new source to treat specific conditions both safely and effectively. If I happen to come across more on this I will post it on the thread in the Specific Ailments Forum.

Pycnogenol on the other hand has been studied for over 50 years in over 100 studies.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

island rehabber (10-02-2020)

gonna move this out of Emergency and into the pox forum so info will be preserved. Thanks everyone!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

stepnstone (10-02-2020)

In regard to a potential case of squirrel pox in the PNW region; I wasn't able to find any report initially. then I found noted in a study the following. Not entirely sure, but this may mean that this is a different strain of squirrel pox.

A putative leporipoxvirus has been described from skin lesions on western gray squirrels (Sciurus griseus griseus) in California. Classification as a leporipoxvirus was based on serological cross-reaction with Californian MYXV, although it did not cross-react with South American MYXV and electron microscopy showed particles with surface striations that were not typical of other leporipoxviruses [50].

I have a bunch of extra valacyclovir I can send so you can have some on hand if you need it again. Like 90-180 extra tablets…

PM your address and I’ll send it out.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Taz2020 from:

Diggie's Friend (03-13-2022)

For some reason, this thread which is from 2020, poped up as a new thread today. I already PMd Island Rehabber because it got me, too! I was the one who sent her acyclovir in 2020 and I wanted to know why the heck she hadn't contacted me again! She doesn't have any pox squirrels now. TSB is apparently coughing up a hairball today... (that is technical internet vernacular, BTW)!

Well hell…

Although the offer still stands…We seriously have a bunch of the stuff we’ll never use. (My shingle suffering other half takes it daily.) It’s on a mail in auto-refill which “resupplies” every 2 1/2 months instead of every three, needless to say we now have quite an overstock of the stuff. I’d be more than happy to send anyone some to have on hand.

island rehabber wrote:
    gonna move this out of Emergency and into the pox forum so info will be preserved. Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Taz2020 View Post
    Well hell…

Although the offer still stands…We seriously have a bunch of the stuff we’ll never use. (My shingle suffering other half takes it daily.) It’s on a mail in auto-refill which “resupplies” every 2 1/2 months instead of every three, needless to say we now have quite an overstock of the stuff. I’d be more than happy to send anyone some to have on hand.
    That's very kind, hang on I'm sure you'll have someone who will need it 👍
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

Diggie's Friend (03-13-2022)