Thread: Possible injured chipmunk

Default Possible injured chipmunk

Hello. My cat got hold of a chipmunk. I thought he was dead but noticed he was opening his eyes and sort of gasping for breath. I sat outside with him in the sun... protecting his eyes... and I stroked him and gave gentle pushes on his chest and belly. After a while he still seemed limp and was still sort of gasping. I decided just to give him a soft warm place to pass away comfortably. When I went to check on him after and hour he was upright and I went to stroke him and he sort of jumped away. So now I know his neck isn’t broken. He has no visible wounds and I moved him into a bucket on its side with soft cloth. I picked him up to give him water squeezed from a rag and he jumped away started trying to get away yet still not quite right. Wobbly and slow. I put him back into soft place with a little peanut butter and water and he looks like he’s sleeping. Breathing fine etc. My question is should I just leave him now and will he be ok in there tonight... going down to upper 50s.

Default Re: Possible injured chipmunk

If he was caught by a cat he will need to be treated with antibiotics, period. He was obviously injured in the encounter and it only takes a small, undetectable scratch for the cat to infect the squirrel with bacteria lethal to the chipmunk.

What part of Pennsylvania are you located, we will try to find help...

Quote Originally Posted by Baxi View Post
    My question is should I just leave him now and will he be ok in there tonight... going down to upper 50s.
    Leaving him outside (hard to tell from the post, unless I missed something) with temps dropping won't help his fragile health.

Secondly, if outside some creature may eat him.

Thirdly, any dish of water should have an eight of an inch of water or less at the bottom.

W
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    If he was caught by a cat he will need to be treated with antibiotics, period. He was obviously injured in the encounter and it only takes a small, undetectable scratch for the cat to infect the squirrel with bacteria lethal to the chipmunk.

What part of Pennsylvania are you located, we will try to find help...
    Well sadly the little chipmunk passed away. I tried so hard To help him and my heart is broken. I feel terrible. I didn’t mention before that my cats are in a cat enclosure so they aren’t out hunting freely because I don’t want them to hurt our wildlife. The chipmunk must have gotten into the basement somehow. I appreciate your offers to help. This was a bad day.... things are so hard these days and this just makes me so very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxi View Post
    W

Well sadly the little chipmunk passed away. I tried so hard To help him and my heart is broken. I feel terrible. I didn’t mention before that my cats are in a cat enclosure so they aren’t out hunting freely because I don’t want them to hurt our wildlife. The chipmunk must have gotten into the basement somehow. I appreciate your offers to help. This was a bad day.... things are so hard these days and this just makes me so very sad.
    So sorry.

Godspeed little one.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead