Thread: Baby in Backyard

Default Baby in Backyard

The tiniest squirrel I’ve ever seen showed up in my backyard the other day. He/she is doing squirrelly things..climbing up the big oak tree, digging and running around. He/she mostly stays under the bird feeder and picks up whatever falls. I’ve put out some sweet potato bits, avocado bits and apple. It doesn’t seem to be interested. I have noticed it drinking water, which is important. Any suggestions of what this baby may like to eat?

Default Re: Baby in Backyard

Would love to see a video...

Quote Originally Posted by Maria C View Post
    The tiniest squirrel I’ve ever seen showed up in my backyard the other day. He/she is doing squirrelly things..climbing up the big oak tree, digging and running around. He/she mostly stays under the bird feeder and picks up whatever falls. I’ve put out some sweet potato bits, avocado bits and apple. It doesn’t seem to be interested. I have noticed it drinking water, which is important. Any suggestions of what this baby may like to eat?
    Can you get and post a picture so we can get an assessment on it's age.
    Orphaned babies may be able to do squirrely things and they do have a survival instinct
    to forge for food but depending on age not enough to supply their own nutritional needs.
    Supporting itself on bird seed is not going to sustain it to be healthy.
    I've taken in quite a few functioning orphaned babies that would have still been nursing
    momma and needed to be put on formula.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by Maria C View Post
    The tiniest squirrel I’ve ever seen showed up in my backyard the other day.
    If it is the tiniest squirrel you have ever seen there is a very good chance that mom is dead. (Dad's play no role in raising the young.) I would listen for squirrels crying, there may be others.

The younger the squirrel the worse their chance of surviving on their own. This little critter may need some help.

Fast forward almost two months later and this squirrel has become the king (it’s a male) of the yard and is thriving. He put up with some bullying for a few weeks, but now he stands his ground and is not intimidated anymore. He even chases some of the bigger squirrels. He’s grown so much and comes running to me whenever I go out. Even though he’s a wild, I feel as if I had a hand in raising him. He loves his Henry’s blocks and fresh coconut and of course nuts. I never thought I could love a wild animal like this. That’s all, just wanted to share.

6. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Maria C:

Chirps (11-23-2020), Lighten-Up (11-24-2020), Mel1959 (11-21-2020), Rock Monkey (11-22-2020), TubeDriver (11-21-2020)