Thread: Acorns

Question Acorns

When can I give my (5-6 week old) squirrel acorns? I mean, it's all right if I just put acorns in his cage along with a lot of other things that are from outside like leaves and twigs? His teeth aren't long enough to actually penetrate the acorn's shell, I just thought it would be good to introduce him to that along with other outdoor things. He is very curious.
    I just wanted to make sure it's okay before I do it!

Default Re: Acorns

Quote Originally Posted by 1950's Nut View Post
    When can I give my (5-6 week old) squirrel acorns? I mean, it's all right if I just put acorns in his cage along with a lot of other things that are from outside like leaves and twigs? His teeth aren't long enough to actually penetrate the acorn's shell, I just thought it would be good to introduce him to that along with other outdoor things. He is very curious.
    I just wanted to make sure it's okay before I do it!

No, don't do it. The first and only solid food he gets should be rodent block. And nothing else until he is eating the rodent block. No nuts until they are 9 weeks or older, and then only as occasional treats... doing otherwise is choosing the hard path and potentially lethal path for the squirrel.

Henry's are the best block hands down. Get the Picky and start putting 1/2 block in with him to start chewing on (and peeing on... yeah, he'll do that for a while). After a week or two and he is eating block you can introduce veggies...

https://www.henryspets.com/picky-blo...rats-and-mice/

Healthy Diet:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

1950's Nut (09-28-2020), Mel1959 (09-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

No, don't do it. The first and only solid food he gets should be rodent block. And nothing else until he is eating the rodent block. No nuts until they are 9 weeks or older, and then only as occasional treats... doing otherwise is choosing the hard path and potentially lethal path for the squirrel.

Henry's are the best block hands down. Get the Picky and start putting 1/2 block in with him to start chewing on (and peeing on... yeah, he'll do that for a while). After a week or two and he is eating block you can introduce veggies...

https://www.henryspets.com/picky-blo...rats-and-mice/

Healthy Diet:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

I've only fed him one pecan before. Should I not have done that? I don't want to hurt him, or choose the hard way. And what can I feed him until I can get some Henry's Blocks?

Quote Originally Posted by 1950's Nut View Post
    I've only fed him one pecan before. Should I not have done that? I don't want to hurt him, or choose the hard way. And what can I feed him until I can get some Henry's Blocks?
    Stick to formula until the Henry's arrives. You can place some sticks or branches (from safe trees, no pesticides) for chewing at this point.

No, you should not have given hum a pecan. That is pretty much like feeding a 3 month old baby cotton candy, sorry...

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

1950's Nut (09-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Stick to formula until the Henry's arrives. You can place some sticks or branches (from safe trees, no pesticides) for chewing at this point.

No, you should not have given hum a pecan. That is pretty much like feeding a 3 month old baby cotton candy, sorry...

Oh my! I didn't know- and I won't do it again! I'll do like you said and give him only formula until Henry's gets here. And I've given him some sticks already, and he loves them!

I have some baby squirrels who have been weaned and eating rodent block for weeks. They are likely between 10 and 15-weeks-old. So, at what point is it safe to give them some acorns? Are acorns dangerous for young squirrels?

Yes, acorns are risky. Acorns are moist inside and can grow mold. Some of these molds produce aflatoxins. These aflatoxins are deadly. I would NEVER just collect acorns and give them to caged squirrels. It is much too risky. I do selectively collect fresh acorns. I take knife and cut each acorn to visually inspect them. If the meat of the acorn is perfect, they will get that acorn. Needless to say they don’t get many acorns.
    Some rehabbers won’t even do that due to the risk. You would be surprised at the number of fresh, perfectly appearing acorns are totally brown/spoiled on the inside. It is easily 25% of those that I cut.

Of course, you never want them stashing acorns in their cage. It is a recipe for disaster.

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Diggie's Friend (10-22-2020), Rock Monkey (10-22-2020), stepnstone (10-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    If the meat of the acorn is perfect, they will get that acorn. Needless to say they don’t get many acorns.
    Thanks for the info. Can you show an example of an acorn that is perfectly fresh?

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaDBr View Post
    Thanks for the info. Can you show an example of an acorn that is perfectly fresh?

Acorn from a laurel oak. It is shaped like a pumpkin. It has a bright orange pulp. If it is bad the pulp will be brown or black.
    Name:  A1E339AA-4A5E-4367-A813-E55F0409FFA4.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  75.1 KB

These are small live oak acorns. They have an elongated shape.
    Name:  AD119128-298F-4E5E-B03C-1FC38D89412D.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  63.1 KB

This is a freshly cut live oak acorn. The pic looks a little dark but it has a cream colored pulp when fresh.
    Name:  A13B30E8-D0B0-44A1-B197-63C49AB37DCF.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  70.0 KB

This is a bad acorn. It is dark inside.
    Name:  FFDE6F94-D3DC-4CDB-AF61-88824B823AA2.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  73.4 KB

Acorns vary across the country. These are just two common types in FL. Any acorn that is dark inside should be discarded. Feeding acorns does carry risk but inspecting them by cutting them can reduce the risk.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

stepnstone (10-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Acorns vary across the country. These are just two common types in FL. Any acorn that is dark inside should be discarded. Feeding acorns does carry risk but inspecting them by cutting them can reduce the risk.
    Thanks a lot. I really appreciate the info.