Thread: Rehabber Needed in Central Georgia

Default Rehabber Needed in Central Georgia

Are there any rehabbers in the central Georgia area who could take my baby and do a proper release? I live in town, not in a good area for release. He is 4 weeks old. I can keep him until he's a bit closer to weaning, it's just the release I'm worried about.

Default Re: Rehabber Needed in Central Georgia

We don’t recommend weaning them, we let them determine when they no longer want formula. They typically take formula till they’re 10+ weeks old.

I don’t know if your little one will be old enough to release this year before the onset of cold weather. He may have to be overwintered. There are a couple of excellent rehabbers in Georgia and nearby areas. You could reach out to them by private message in case they don’t see your thread. Private messages are accessed from the top of the screen under notifications. The two rehabbers names you want to contact are a Javarat and Spanky.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Diggie's Friend (09-28-2020)

Default Re: Rehabber Needed in Central Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by whittleah View Post
    Are there any rehabbers in the central Georgia area who could take my baby and do a proper release? I live in town, not in a good area for release. He is 4 weeks old. I can keep him until he's a bit closer to weaning, it's just the release I'm worried about.
    I am happy to get him into a group, a new family and playmates, and release when the time comes.

I strongly suggest you do not wait until he weans, by that time he'll be too old to be combined into a litter (family?) of squirrels. They will reject him and he will reject them at that age. Then he'll be all alone in the world. The best thing for the squirrel is to be with other squirrels, especially fall babies since when released together they almost always over winter together... safety in numbers!

Also, singletons are very hard on rehabbers... it takes just as long for a single squirrel to cycle through our release cages as a group of 3, 4, 5, 6 whatever. So they are always held back to be released last... often getting stuck being overwintered, which is terribly hard on both the rehabber and the squirrel.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Mel1959 (09-29-2020)