Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 week old bleeding from butt. Please help!

Default 5 week old bleeding from butt. Please help!

Hey guys could you help me figure out whats going on with my squirrel? He is 5 weeks old, should be plenty hydrated by now, and im pretty sure he is getting enough formula. I found him about 5 days ago at my front door. He had a little bit of blood on his nose but I've gotten that all cleaned up. He ate just fine the first couple of days but then stopped eating the 3rd day so i switched from unflavored pedialyte to the mixed fruit kind and he seems to love that. I also switched from the liquid PetAg milk replacer plus to the powder version with some heavy whipping cream mixed in. He seemed to love that stuff too but yesterday he stopped pooping and it seems to be mostly blood that comes out now. This is my first squirrel and I just would like to figure out what's going on with him. Is it the formula? Sorry for the short novel lol I'm just extremely worried

Default Re: 5 week old bleeding from butt. Please help!

First, you need to stop the pedialyte. It really isn't recommended past 24 hours. If you feel he needs further hydration, plain water or water with a tiny bit of sugar or honey is okay.

Could this little one have fallen or been dropped?

Has he had diarrhea that changed to blood or was he doing formed poops that suddenly turned to blood?

How much sugar would you recommend? And I think he might have fallen from a nearby tree and made his way to my front door. When i first took him in he was pooping solid but then it slowly switched to diarrhea which turned into blood. It seems to be getting worse

Quote Originally Posted by jpars View Post
    How much sugar would you recommend? And I think he might have fallen from a nearby tree and made his way to my front door. When i first took him in he was pooping solid but then it slowly switched to diarrhea which turned into blood. It seems to be getting worse

Just a little sugar, enough to sweeten the water.

It is the PetLac causing the diarrhea and bleeding. IMO. It has irritated his intestines, inflamed them and led to bleeding. I would stop giving PetLac immediately (it does not meet a squirrel's nutritional needs anyways).

Here is a homemade formula when he is ready to resume formula:
    Homemade Goat Milk Formula Plus (HGMF+):

• 3 tablespoons goat milk
    • 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
    • 2 tablespoons heavy cream

Or try to locate Esbilac (and only Esbilac powdered) puppy formula with an expiration date of 10/2021 of later. An alternative would be to order Fox Valley 20/50.

IDEALLY IMO, is to get both Esbilac and Fox Valley 32/40 and use this combination, half and half.

EDIT: Just noted you said "PetAg" but my mind went to PetLac... what PetAg product are you using? The liquid formula definitely would have caused diarrhea.

Also, here is a 6 page long guide with the basics of proper baby squirrel care:
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

As soon as you can - even before you change formula (I would do the goats milk formula and then order the Fox Valley 20/50) I would get some Pepto Bismol into him. Give him 4 or 5 drops of the Pepto Liquid. Then watch his poops. When they turn dark - almost black - the meds have gone through his system (it has bismuth in it which turns the poop black). Now you know how long it takes for the meds to go through. If the now dark poop is still liquid, give another dose of pepto. If it is starting to form up a bit, wait and see if that continues before you give more pepto. If it stays soft, give another dose.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

Just a little sugar, enough to sweeten the water.

It is the PetLac causing the diarrhea and bleeding. IMO. It has irritated his intestines, inflamed them and led to bleeding. I would stop giving PetLac immediately (it does not meet a squirrel's nutritional needs anyways).

Here is a homemade formula when he is ready to resume formula:
    Homemade Goat Milk Formula Plus (HGMF+):

• 3 tablespoons goat milk
    • 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
    • 2 tablespoons heavy cream

Or try to locate Esbilac (and only Esbilac powdered) puppy formula with an expiration date of 10/2021 of later. An alternative would be to order Fox Valley 20/50.

IDEALLY IMO, is to get both Esbilac and Fox Valley 32/40 and use this combination, half and half.

EDIT: Just noted you said "PetAg" but my mind went to PetLac... what PetAg product are you using? The liquid formula definitely would have caused diarrhea.

Also, here is a 6 page long guide with the basics of proper baby squirrel care:
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/
    Does it matter whether its the liquid or powder goat milk because the liquid isnt currently available? I will do that formula until i can get some of the fox valley. And I started him out with the liquid formula for a day but then switched to the powder because he wouldn't eat it. If that was the cause then hopefully it will clear up soon. I hate to see the poor little guy like this. And I'll be sure to give that a read. Thank you

Does it matter whether its the liquid or powder goat milk because the liquid isnt currently available? I will do that formula until i can get some of the fox valley. And I started him out with the liquid formula for a day but then switched to the powder because he wouldn't eat it. If that was the cause then hopefully it will clear up soon. I hate to see the poor little guy like this. And I'll be sure to give that a read. Thank you
    The powdered goat's milk is fine, follow the directions to reconstitute the goats milk and use the reconstituted goat's milk to make the temporary formula.

Did you see CritterMom's post about Pepto?

Which powdered formula were you using? This would be helpful as we are seeing an very abnormal (unusually high) cases of rectal bleeding and prolapse... more info we have may help us track down the "why".

I am not talking about the esbilac goat milk FORMULA. This is a formula you make yourself, out of fresh goats milk (if you can get it), yogurt, and heavy whipping cream. If you have a Trader Joes in your area they have all of these things - their ful fat greek vanilla yogurt is pretty tasty in the formula.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Mialouise (09-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I am not talking about the esbilac goat milk FORMULA. This is a formula you make yourself, out of fresh goats milk (if you can get it), yogurt, and heavy whipping cream. If you have a Trader Joes in your area they have all of these things - their ful fat greek vanilla yogurt is pretty tasty in the formula.
    I bought meyenberg powder goat milk since that was all that was available. And is full fat greek yogurt from walmart good? cause i have non fat plain yogurt but i can buy that if its better for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    The powdered goat's milk is fine, follow the directions to reconstitute the goats milk and use the reconstituted goat's milk to make the temporary formula.

Did you see CritterMom's post about Pepto?

Which powdered formula were you using? This would be helpful as we are seeing an very abnormal (unusually high) cases of rectal bleeding and prolapse... more info we have may help us track down the "why".
    I tried giving him a few drops. He didnt want to swallow them so im not sure how much he actually got. The liquid i was using at the beginning is called "PetAg Milk Replacer Plus" and the powder i was using is the same stuff just in powder form.

I bought meyenberg powder goat milk since that was all that was available. And is full fat greek yogurt from walmart good? cause i have non fat plain yogurt but i can buy that if its better for him.
    That is fine. Make sure you mix the powdered goats milk up according to package directions before you put the formula together. And I know they don't like the pepto but make sure you get it into him - it won't help otherwise!

That is fine. Make sure you mix the powdered goats milk up according to package directions before you put the formula together. And I know they don't like the pepto but make sure you get it into him - it won't help otherwise!
    Ok i will try again with it. Hopefully that along with the new formula he'll start to get better.

Non fat plain Greek yogurt usually isn’t very tasty. If you can find full fat vanilla yogurt it might make the formula more accepted. Many folks use yobaby vanilla yogurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Non fat plain Greek yogurt usually isn’t very tasty. If you can find full fat vanilla yogurt it might make the formula more accepted. Many folks use yobaby vanilla yogurt.
    I found a full fat greek vanilla at TJs the last time I had to buy it - I absolutely LOATHE yogurt - and even I have to admit it had a good flavor and my little mouse loved it.

The full fat is the better choice. It tastes better. It has more calories and the squirrel needs the fat.

I have had good luck with Cabot's Whole Milk, Plain Greek Yogurt from Walmart. It even has heavy cream added.

I find it palatable so that is always an important test.

If it is eaten as is you might add a drop or two of honey to a teaspoon of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I found some chobani full fat plain greek yogurt. He seems to love the new formula mixture thank goodness lol

Update on the pepto. After the first dose the poop was really dark, and after the second dose it is now a light brown and extremely runny. He doesnt seem to poop whenever i try to get him to go, but he'll poop whenever he goes to sleep

Update on the pepto. After the first dose the poop was really dark, and after the second dose it is now a light brown and extremely runny. He doesnt seem to poop whenever i try to get him to go, but he'll poop whenever he goes to sleep
    Generally, once their eyes open they poop on their own.

A change in diet can lead to a loosening of the stool.

This article will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about squirrel poop.

Stool problems with squirrels.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Generally, once their eyes open they poop on their own.

A change in diet can lead to a loosening of the stool.

This article will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about squirrel poop.

Stool problems with squirrels.pdf
    Oh ok, that article explains a lot. So as long as i keep his formula the same it should start to get solid again? It was solid when I first found him, but i messed up by feeding him formula that wasn't rich enough in nutrients and ended up changing it.

Oh ok, that article explains a lot. So as long as i keep his formula the same it should start to get solid again? It was solid when I first found him, but i messed up by feeding him formula that wasn't rich enough in nutrients and ended up changing it.
    How many doses of pepto has he had and when did you start giving it to him?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast