Thread: Injured squirrel - bruising on abdomen

Default Injured squirrel - bruising on abdomen

Hi All

I got a squirrel from someone 2 days ago after she was found on the ground, quite inactive. When I handle her she groans and she has what seems like bruises on her abdomen and chest as well as on her one knee.

I initially thought it might be MBD and 'just in case' I started her on Tums. It has been 2 days now and her condition has not changed. She moves with great difficulty and mostly just lies curled up and sleeps. She does however have quite a good appetite. My friend whose yard she was found in (and is currently out of the country) just released a few litters of hand-raised squirrels. So I first tried feeding her Fox Valley 20/50 as well as Pedialyte and she readily accepted both. I have healthy blocks in the cage, but other than a few nibbles she is not interested. Tonight I offered her avocado and tomato and she ate some of both. She has a bit of diarrhea which I suspect is due to change of diet. I also offered her an almond which she refused.

Any advise will be highly appreciated please as I am 'flying blind' here.

PS: Due to her spilling formula while feeding and having diarrhea I bathed her before I took this photo, so she was still wet when I took it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Injured squirrel - bruising on abdomen

The bruising could be due to a fall. The fact that she’s curled into a ball could indicate she’s in pain. Do you have any metacam (meloxicam, Mobic)? If not, infant ibuprofen can be given. If you post what you have and the strength, as well as the weight of the squirrel someone will be able to dose it for you.

If she’s willing to take Fox Valley, by all means feed it to her. It’s packed with all the vitamins and calcium she needs. Try sugar snap peas, squash, sweet potato and kale, too. These may be accepted.

There is a squirrel knowledgeable vet located in Deerfield Bch, if you want to have her checked out. The vet is Dr. Kelleher and she’s at Broward Avian and Exotic Animal Hospital.

I do have Meloxicam and also infant Iboprufen. She weighs 285g.

Thank you for your help Mel1959.

Meloxicam is a better choice. I will send dosing in a private message. Private messages are accessed from the top of the page under notifications, if it doesn’t automatically pop up.

Edit: dosing sent

I am wondering if some animal might have held her in its mouth, maybe a dog. Sometimes a dog will toss a squirrel around like a toy.

If it was a cat I would expect puncture wounds. (If it was a cat antibiotics would definitely be needed.)

Is the animals breathing labored in any way? (Being clamped in a dog's jaws can create rib cage injuries.)

I see you have several previous posts about a squirrel bitten by a dog.